Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Weight Distribution with sway control question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Weight Distribution with sway control question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
BobbyHJ

Walkerton, IN

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering what the differences are between the straight line (CAM) and the 4 - Point weight distribution with sway control. Which one is better, and why? I assume the 2 -point distribution system is more for WD.

Thanks.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That really is a Ford vs Chevy type of discussion.They are both good in their own way and both are fairly effective.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, openspaces.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

WayneAt63044

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the Reese Dual Cam and my current Equal-i-zer 4 point with success. I had to switch to the 4 point when I changed trailers. The V-nose covers much of the hitch area so that there is no room to mount chain lifts. It has to be under-slung to work on my current trailer.

2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The beauty of the dual cam is it actually pushes the trailer back in line with the tow vehicle.
That being said, there are lots of different technologies that strive to achieve the same thing. Some use other methods to help force vehicle and trialer in-line. I haven't tried them all but I far prefer the perfromance of the DC over the Equalizer I had.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Timtation

Mid-West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found the Andersen a great improvement over the system installed on my trailer. Control, ride, ease of connection and feeling of safety all improved. Picture this, you are on a rough road, staying in your lane, getting feedback from the trailer through the hitch system, you're on edge, your wife wishes she were smaller in all possible manners related to dynamic comfort and you change systems and the feedback is reduced by 90% as are the previous objections but you find no difference in control, perhaps better control due to better attention!
As long as my load is in the range, my hitch will be Andersen.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally prefer the Reese DC, simple and effective.

The one issue being, some trailer manufacturers install the Propane tanks forward of battery making it difficult to install chain lifts vertically of cams.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timtation wrote:

I found the Andersen a great improvement over the system installed on my trailer. Control, ride, ease of connection and feeling of safety all improved. Picture this, you are on a rough road, staying in your lane, getting feedback from the trailer through the hitch system, you're on edge, your wife wishes she were smaller in all possible manners related to dynamic comfort and you change systems and the feedback is reduced by 90% as are the previous objections but you find no difference in control, perhaps better control due to better attention!
As long as my load is in the range, my hitch will be Andersen.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the Equal-i-zer and it worked well. It was easy for me to install without drilling anything. I've read that the Reese is harder to set up correctly (and RV dealers don't always get it set right, either).

The 2-point provides some anti-sway friction, but the 4-point will do more.

I liked the Andersen better than the Equal-i-zer mainly because it was easier to deal with chains than heavy, long bars when disconnecting and reconnecting. It worked just as well, too. Only, the Andersen is best for trailers under about 7K lbs as it cannot level the rig properly when there's a lot of tongue weight.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Anderson is a great idea and is probably easier to install at the beginning of a trip than other systems like the Equalizer (maybe). However, it doesn't have the active sway control of the DC. The Anderson resists movement but doesn't actually apply force to move the truck and trailer back in-line.
I've found this feature to be most helpful in some situations and would prefer it over any system that doesn't do it.
I believe the Husky Center Line system also has active control (could be wrong).

I am not bashing the Anderson, just pointing out an observation.

* This post was last edited 04/09/20 11:48am by ScottG *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Weight Distribution with sway control question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.