cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Cargo Carrier and Flat Towing

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I am exploring the idea of a hitch cargo carrier of approx. 30" x 48" that would be inserted into the 2" 5000/500TW hitch on the back of my gas class A. It would need to carry a load of around 80 lbs. I am finding that manufacturers I have seen so far do not offer a 2" hitch receiver on the back of these for my 35 lb tow bar. I am sure this is because customers would assume they could put a 500lb tongue weight on it.

I considered putting the hitch cargo carrier on the TJ Jeep. Some of the potential problems there are: the hitch is very low and may drag, unless removed it complicates access to the back of the Jeep, and may create some Jeep tail wagging that I would not want. In addition to this, I was an idiot when I bought the Jeep and allowed them to install a Class II 1-1/4" hitch that would have to be changed to a 2" receiver hitch.

Has anyone done something similar? Does doing this create any problems I am not seeing?
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
4 REPLIES 4

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hitch doupler from HF and modified it fot 12 inch separation versus the original 6 inches.

I now can use any combination of a toad, a cargo carrier and a bike rack (any two)
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I got a carrier for the MH. Used a double mount receiver. Towed Suzuki through the lower one and placed carrier in upper. Little awkward to connect Stowmaster towbar.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You are not an idiot...you just made a mistake on the 1 1/4. Who hasnโ€™t? Bite the bullet and get a 2 inch.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a 220+ carrier/mobility scooter on my 14 JGC with no issues and the hitch is very high. I installed a 4" drop adapter to help with ramps and scooter clearance. When the carrier is folded up the back cannot be opened.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob