cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing cable outside trailer

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
I’m adding a solar panel and want to run the wire to the controller along the exterior of the trailer. I’m looking for suggestions to secure the wire.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g
11 REPLIES 11

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Do you have a front molded cap? On mine it is wide open behind that cap.

I's a hybrid, so has the fold-out bed in front.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a front molded cap? On mine it is wide open behind that cap. Drill a hole on top beyond the roof termination bar and drop it down.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeti plus wrote:
Search Home Depot.com for Legrand Cordmate. I used it to cover the cable from my backup camera mounted above the door on the rear of the TC down to the bumper so I could plug into the truck back up camera plugs. Just be carefull as the adhesive gives you one try, then it is where you put it. I have a dog leg on the bottom part of my install.
Brian

I suspect this is what Yeti is talking about..

Yeah, that is going to look pretty "getto".

Anything stuck on the outside is going to look like it was an afterthought and not really very nice looking..

Not to mention that "Wiremold" stuff isn't really designed for the great outdoors, is not weather proof and doubt that it is UV/Sunlight resistant.

Lots of folks have run their solar wires down the fridge roof vent if you do not wish to add an extra hole in the roof (although that is an oxymoron because you HAD to put at least FOUR holes in the roof per solar panel).

Once down the fridge vent you can take it down to the trailer frame and run to your controller and batteries.

If you are concerned about the wire length, move up to the next heavier wire ga (IE 12 ga move to 10 ga).

A much cleaner and neater installation.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would drop a PVC in that configuration. Or run the line via a vent or some such to the charge controller inside. tehn hook to the 12 volt panel inside the Trailer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
I ran my wire through a length of PVC pipe which was white and matched the trailer color. I used existing screws to attach nylon straps to secure the pipe.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Search Home Depot.com for Legrand Cordmate. I used it to cover the cable from my backup camera mounted above the door on the rear of the TC down to the bumper so I could plug into the truck back up camera plugs. Just be carefull as the adhesive gives you one try, then it is where you put it. I have a dog leg on the bottom part of my install.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. I want to attach the cable to the vertical front of the trailer, down to the battery on the tongue.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you mean the roof, I suggest Eternabond tape.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
When my dealer added the DirecTV satellite dish on the roof of the RV he ran the cable thru the roof and routed thru a cabinet.

That's the way I went and use blobs of Dicor every foot or 18 inches to hold it down on the roof. People can also run the wire thru the kitchen vent
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do not want to use screws in the roof, just embed it in a large gob of Dicor caulk.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
When my dealer added the DirecTV satellite dish on the roof of the RV he ran the cable thru the roof and routed thru a cabinet.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)