cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need new GPS

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old one died. We want one with a large display and one where you can designate you are in a large motorhome. Don’t care about WiFi and Bluetooth stuff. Any suggestions?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
13 REPLIES 13

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Maps does not require cell service either. You can download the map before you leave and have the entire day's journey setup. However, you do not get live traffic which I find to be the MOST valuable option. No GPS has it without a separate cellular connection and even then I find it to be a pitiful amount of information compared to Google Maps.
Even when you do use data, the amount of data used is very minimal. I measured less then 300MB of data used on a 350 mile trip.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I use harming 760 in conjunction with my smartphone/Waze. The farming does rv related stuff waze doesnt, and it works without cell service
Winnebago Access 24V

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do Google Maps/WAZE just fine on a phone (or 2 phones if you and your wife would like to have a good close-up view) as the travel area displayed is only a small portion of the path ahead, even on a large display. The voice commands are excellent and give you plenty of lead time to get into the proper lane and ensure you are at the right intersection. We bought a 10" tablet that we could mount in the middle for both to see but found we were actually happier with a phone mounted close to the driver.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:
OP here. This is an interesting idea. Don’t have a tablet. DH would love the larger screen. Does it have to be android? Don’t know anything about tablets but DH had an android phone years ago and we hated it.

Everything has a learning curve. Android tablets are considerably cheaper and larger than MAC's. Co-Pilot is available for both.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Garmin Garmin Garmin

X2. Been using Garmin for years with little complaint. Only once or twice it put the destination on the wrong side of the street, but still in the correct area. Just keep it updated.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Waze

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. This is an interesting idea. Don’t have a tablet. DH would love the larger screen. Does it have to be android? Don’t know anything about tablets but DH had an android phone years ago and we hated it.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 10" Android tablet with built-in GPS sensor and install the Co-Pilot RV app.
Then you have a 10" GPS for 1/3 the cost, RV specific, and a tablet to use for other things when the GPS isn't needed.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin Garmin Garmin
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You really don't need anything more than Google Maps and/or WAZE and a bit of common sense. These are free but common sense must be at users discretion.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GPS title search
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you searched the forum for this topic? There are dozens - if not more - of threads on RV GPSs. The Garmin RV and Dezl units are popular. We have used one with good success for about seven years now.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does your truck or RV have Apple Car Play or the Android equivalent? The Apple system works well for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad