Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Solar Controllers PWM MPPT Temperature Performance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Controllers PWM MPPT Temperature Performance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All great info. Personally, I need the best charging when it's cold. I like to winter camp and the recharging in the morning when it's clear and cold is what I need. I think when It is hot thru the night I will have the fantastic fan on and the drain that it has will be overcome the following morning with the solar before it get's hot.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Smileymaddog

texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this video to be very helpful. Good luck and we love to talk to anyone about this. I have four 12v batteries on a 100watt panel in series and so far am impress what I can do.

https://youtu.be/kF_cVEYxj3E

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

All great info. Personally, I need the best charging when it's cold. I like to winter camp and the recharging in the morning when it's clear and cold is what I need. I think when It is hot thru the night I will have the fantastic fan on and the drain that it has will be overcome the following morning with the solar before it get's hot.

That is why they say to add up your rated Vocs in a series string and then x 1.25 for margin for when it is cold out. If you go over the controller's Voc limit, it fries--no second chances!

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Vintage465 wrote:

That is why they say to add up your rated Vocs in a series string and then x 1.25 for margin for when it is cold out. If you go over the controller's Voc limit, it fries--no second chances!

I think I'm not in danger of exceeding my Voc's.........but I'd be more sure if I knew what Voc's are. Not real into acronyms here. I'm under the wattage, amps and voltage for what my controller is rated for. All panels in parallel.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The specs for your controller will include a voltage limit. The voltage used for that limit is the open circuit voltage (Voc) of your panels added up if they are in series or for just one if they are in parallel.

Those panel spec Vocs are for 25C temperature (about 77F) and voltage goes up when it is colder than that. So they warn to allow more than rated Voc when camping in the cold so you don't hit that total Voc limit and fry your controller.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Voc Voltage Open Circuit

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Morningstar has a calculator that will check your setup. On their website search String Calculator. If they don't have your panel you can enter it's specs. They only support their calculators and if you don't have one choose something like the MPPT 60. You'll get the information for the panels including Voc etc. With a non Morningstar controller the panel hookup information may not be correct but there is still a lot of good information.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here you go: http://string-calculator.morningstarcorp.com/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Controllers PWM MPPT Temperature Performance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.