Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Newbie question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newbie question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Lexinator

Pickens

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 03:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey there. Quick question, I am traveling to visit a friend and will be plugging in at their house. Can I use a 30 to 15 amp to plug into their house? Am I only limited to certain things e.g. fridge only no AC? I really was hoping to get AC, but don’t want to cause any issues. Advice needed. This is what I am looking at. 30 Amp Male to 15 Amp Female Dogbone Adapter RV Electrical Converter Cord Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SSZ8DVZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4ZZ5EbKPW1PTB

I have a travel trailer. What do you suggest if you were in my situation and needed AC. Thanks!

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 03:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your link does not work but NO. You need a 15/20 amp male and a 30 amp female. It"s called a 30/20 dog bone. If your rig trips the the friends GFI circuit you will need to turn OFF you GFI circuit in your rig. A/C may or may not work.

FYI, AC = 120 volt electric. A/C = Air Conditioning.[emoticon]

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 04:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a 15/20 amp male to 30 amp female dog bone (adapter) or puck. Avoid using an extension cord. If you have to use an extension cord, make it as short as possible and either 12AWG or 10 AWG.

When running the AC, turn off the electric water heater. After running the AC for awhile, feel the dog bone or puck connections. It may get warm, but make sure it's not getting too hot.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexinator wrote:

This is what I am looking at. 30 Amp Male to 15 Amp Female Dogbone Adapter
Most RVs have 30A Male RV plugs and a 30A Female to 15A Male adapter is used for a household plug. So do you have it backwards?

You might be able to run a small A/C on a 15A plug but typically not because you have other loads like the refer.

The typical household circuit has multiple 15A plugs on a single 20A CB. Which means there may be other loads in the house on that circuit.

The typical household type plug found at campgrounds is a dedicated 20A rated plug. My garage has a dedicated 20A plug - ie a single 20A rated plug on a 20A CB.

And the situation is more marginal if you need to uses an extension cord due to the additional voltage drop on the cord.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can step down to 15A. you can use whatever you want as long as you dont draw more than 15 amps at a time. my trailer lives a lot of the year plugged in like this at home. I can run my fridge, phone chargers and AC, not much else. If i need an appliance or some other power draw i switch off the ac while im useing it then turn the ac back on when im done.

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

may be a quick question but not necessarily a quick answer. It depends upon
1) what else may be on the circuit in your friends house,
2) if it is a 15 amp or 20 amp breaker
3) how long of an extension cord you may have to use.
4) how good you are about managing the electrical loads.
5) whether your battery charger kicks on at the same time as your fridge or your AC, etc.

we plugged into a friends house and everything seemed fine for a while and then his breaker would trip every time his freezer in his basement kicked on. turned out it was on the same circuit.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP I looked at your link this AM. The default title shows 30A M to 15A F and it shows 6 adapters. If you CLICK on one of the adapter then the title changes for that adapter, be sure to do this as otherwise you'll order the default title adapter.

Click Atapter Link

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

you can step down to 15A. you can use whatever you want as long as you dont draw more than 15 amps at a time. my trailer lives a lot of the year plugged in like this at home. I can run my fridge, phone chargers and AC, not much else. If i need an appliance or some other power draw i switch off the ac while im useing it then turn the ac back on when im done.

This held true for us while camping at my bro-in-law's house, too. You pretty much get to run "one big thing or one heat producer" at a time. The heat producers like coffee pot or hair dryer use a lot of power, too. And we used a GOOD extension cord - many-stranded, 12 ga w/ground.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One HUGE thing not mentioned above? The draw your converter has on that circuit. Your onboard converter draws almost 10 amps when it's charging your batteries. That leaves you with very little power for everything else.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the adapter that you would need. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newbie question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.