Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2019 Dodge Durango with tow package? am I making a mistake?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2019 Dodge Durango with tow package? am I making a mistake?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
rival178

Tulsa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

We are a family of 4, 2 kids ages 11 and 7. We are looking to buy both a tow vehicle(first) and travel trailer (second).

For a travel trailer we are looking for 25 foot and under, something with a bunkhouse.

Now for my tow questions. For the <5500 lbs travel trailer we would purchase is there any reason we should not get a 2019 Duragno r/t? We live in Oklahoma so pretty flat, but would love to go to Colorado each year for a week trip.

We have also considered a Chevy Tahoe, but finding one with the max trailering package around here is very tough.

Durango:
Tow capacity is 7200
payload, this is harder to find a for sure answer.

Help me make a safe decision for my family.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the Durango cargo cap.
figure 800 lbs for trailer tongue on a 6000 trailer.
Add for wife kids, other cargo, and 100 lbs for the WDH, is the Durango up to that load? Most SUV's run out of cargo cap before tow cap.

rival178

Tulsa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Look at the Durango cargo cap.
figure 800 lbs for trailer tongue on a 6000 trailer.
Add for wife kids, other cargo, and 100 lbs for the WDH, is the Durango up to that load? Most SUV's run out of cargo cap before tow cap.

Is it possible to keep all the extra weight in the trailer instead of the tow vehicle. I guess only keeping the absolute necessary items in the tow vehicle? or that just move the weight to the tongue weight, and keep the numbers the exact same?

Matt

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t violate the rule...buy or select the trailer first. Then match a tow vehicle to it.

Make the safe decision by having more max trailer weight and payload than you need...15 to 20% IMO. Durango won’t cut it. Many RAMs will.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only say that the only vehicle I have ever seen with a broken axle was a Durango. Broken front axle blocking a flat easy trail at that.

I would think popup for towing with that vehicle.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you can move cargo to the trailer to help, but the wife, kids and Weight distributing hitch will still be in the Durango. And at whatever weight your trailer ends up 12-15% of that needs to be on the tongue to maintain good towing characteristics.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I can only say that the only vehicle I have ever seen with a broken axle was a Durango. Broken front axle blocking a flat easy trail at that.

I haven't seen that in a while either, but the worst USED TO BE the Isuzu Troopers. A hunting guide friend in New Brunswick used to replace at least one a year. But that was 15 years ago.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rival178 wrote:

Hello,

We are a family of 4, 2 kids ages 11 and 7. We are looking to buy both a tow vehicle(first) and travel trailer (second).

For a travel trailer we are looking for 25 foot and under, something with a bunkhouse.

Now for my tow questions. For the <5500 lbs travel trailer we would purchase is there any reason we should not get a 2019 Duragno r/t? We live in Oklahoma so pretty flat, but would love to go to Colorado each year for a week trip.

We have also considered a Chevy Tahoe, but finding one with the max trailering package around here is very tough.

Durango:
Tow capacity is 7200

You're making a mistake by looking only at towing capacity.
You need to focus on PAYLOAD capacity, before towing capacity. Most tow vehicles will run out of payload capacity WAY before getting close to towing capacity. Especially with a family of 4 and their stuff.
And DON'T go by trailer's brochure/website "dry" weight numbers, they are fictional.
With a family of 4, a crew cab truck would be a MUCH better tow vehicle, over a SUV.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rival178

Tulsa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

rival178 wrote:

Hello,

Durango:
Tow capacity is 7200

You're making a mistake by looking only at towing capacity.
You need to focus on PAYLOAD capacity, before towing capacity. Most tow vehicles will run out of payload capacity WAY before getting close to towing capacity. Especially with a family of 4 and their stuff.
And DON'T go by trailer's brochure/website "dry" weight numbers, they are fictional.
With a family of 4, a crew cab truck would be a MUCH better tow vehicle, over a SUV.

I did mention payload capacity. For the Durango it's a harder number to find. The sticker shows 1200 lbs no matter if it's v6 or v8 and all axel's show same. Using the formula it has closer to 1700 lbs which works be plenty for us (I think).

Matt

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Roflmao at the broken axle thing!
And OP, do t listen to this guy. There’s a reason it’s rated to tow 7200lbs. It’s a darn near (probably considered) full size rig with 400hp and an 8 speed.
It’s absolutely 100% safe and very capable of towing a small/med size TT. No question.

I personally would find greater value in a 1500 series truck with the same drivetrain with a topper on a short bed if you want the dry cargo carrying ability of a suv.
It will be the same cost or less, very similar fuel mileage, only slightly larger in stature and a good deal more capable than a Durango as a tow vehicle.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2019 Dodge Durango with tow package? am I making a mistake?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.