Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: City Water is filling/overflowing my freshwater tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> City Water is filling/overflowing my freshwater tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dsimonson

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must have a check valve issue, because when I attached city water to my trailer, I noted that it started (slowly) filling up my freshwater tank to the point it overflowed.

I see that I can pretty easily replace the city water check valve, but I don't see where I can start looking for the other check valve - there must be one to prevent this from happening. Any ideas on where I should start looking? I have an APEX ULTRA-LITE - 249RBS.

Thanks!

Dan
--
Dan Simonson

Dan Simonson
Spokane, WA

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The check valve is part of the water pump itself. Try running some water through your system by using the pump. That may reseat it or let whatever debris through that may be making it leak. If that doesn’t work, it’s fairly simple to take the pump head apart to clean and inspect the diaphragm.

If you are referring to the city check valve at the hose connection that is not the issue. That one prevents pump pressure from pushing water out of that connection when it’s not In use,

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

The check valve is part of the water pump itself. Try running some water through your system by using the pump. That may reseat it or let whatever debris through that may be making it leak. If that doesn’t work, it’s fairly simple to take the pump head apart to clean and inspect the diaphragm.

If you are referring to the city check valve at the hose connection that is not the issue. That one prevents pump pressure from pushing water out of that connection when it’s not In use,

X2

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

dsimonson

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks - exactly the tip I needed. So I will check out the pump. I ran it several times trying to investigate this, also to empty some of the water out of my overflowing freshwater tank, so I'm thinking the pump is the issue and I'll take it apart.

wnjj wrote:

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remove the INLET pipe to the Water Pump. Turn on City Water and you will see water come out of the Inlet of the pump if the Pump check valve is the problem. Doug

dsimonson

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point, just got finished doing that. Result: no leak from inlet (fresh water tank to pump) side. Sigh... that would have been an easy fix!

I am flummoxed as to how my freshwater tank could be filling up when the trailer is attached to city water! Perhaps a high water pressure issue, and my home water supply pressure is less than the park water pressure where this happened?

dougrainer wrote:

Just remove the INLET pipe to the Water Pump. Turn on City Water and you will see water come out of the Inlet of the pump if the Pump check valve is the problem. Doug

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have a fresh water fill valve that is used to fill the tank. That valve may be faulty or not turned completely off.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On many RV's there is a 2nd path to fill the tank from city inlet. A "Quick Fill" (As Damon called it on mine) Valve. this is a common 3-way diverter valve
Turned one way it feeds water to the "Houe" the other way to the tank and half way in between both of 'em (Not supposed to do that) if it's not full stop then it may be letting water into the tank.
If the O-Rings in the valve have failed.. Likewise

Easy fix on most RV's.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mbiviano

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn city water off, then make sure you open all faucets hot and cold side and run water pump to get air completely out. Then shut off and open city water again. There’s some YouTube videos out there on it and worked for me recently when faced with same problem.

Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you try all of the suggestions you have received but to no avail, I will offer that you do have a bad check valve. I am making an assumption that all your valves in the correct position. There is really no other possibility and I have experienced it in the past and I have seen at least one other RV that had the same problem.

Let us know what you find.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> City Water is filling/overflowing my freshwater tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.