cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery replacements in 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel has two batteries. They are original and therefore at least 7 years old. My concern is that they die in a most inopportune time.

The one battery is in the normal place up top by the fender but the second battery is buried somewhere.

I know that I should replace both batteries at the same time as they are a parallel connection.

Has anyone replaced there batteries themselves? How complicated is it? Where exactly is the 2nd battery located? I've searched online and cannot find anything on replacing the 2nd battery.

My dealer wants $55 replacement fee for each battery plus $169 for each battery. A total of $475 including tax. I understand that the replacement is more difficult for the 2nd battery but is $110 labor fee a bit much?

Thanks in advance for your help

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
25 REPLIES 25

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ If you don't have any other issues or symptoms indicating the batteries are weak, I would absolutely not replace them until at least winter time rolls around. Your thinking in that 7 years is about or greater than the average life expectancy is solid, however other factors can increase or decrease the battery life.
Also, you don't need to spend $200 a battery. Many are that much, but there are plenty of FLA batteries in the $100 range.
Recently replaced the batteries in the Dodge. Home Depot has Exide batteries for just under $100/ea.
Can't speak to their longevity yet, but if they only make it half as long, they only cost half as much to begin with.

Lots of opinions ,and experience with batteries, but IMO for the warranty ,and cost I will stick to the Walmart Everstart , either the regular or AGM ,they are if I remember $10 or $20 difference in price.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
miltvill wrote:
You will never get batteries as good as the factory batteries. They always last a long time. Just my experience. But it takes a lot to jump start a desiel with two batteries.

Especially hard to start in the middle of Winter when it is below zero.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But 3 pages on batteries that started with “I can’t find the battery in my truck” begets some rambling I suppose.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
miltvill wrote:
You will never get batteries as good as the factory batteries. They always last a long time. Just my experience. But it takes a lot to jump start a desiel with two batteries.

Nice theory, but untrue.
I could provide many examples to support your statement and many to discredit it.
One example, I just finally had to replace a set of “aftermarket” batteries in the old Dodge. They were originally purchased in 2008 and 2011 iirc for your boat. Swapped to the truck in 2014. Time of death March 2020.
I’ve also had a factory battery bite the dust inside of 3 years.
And have had factory batteries last 7-8 years.
FWIW they were Odyssey AGM. And for what they cost, they should have had a long lifespan.

There are literally 100s of “factors” that contribute to battery life. And one of the reasons OE batteries seem to last the longest is they start out life in brand new vehicles which generally receive better care and have less electrical issues than older vehicles.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ If you don't have any other issues or symptoms indicating the batteries are weak, I would absolutely not replace them until at least winter time rolls around. Your thinking in that 7 years is about or greater than the average life expectancy is solid, however other factors can increase or decrease the battery life.
Also, you don't need to spend $200 a battery. Many are that much, but there are plenty of FLA batteries in the $100 range.
Recently replaced the batteries in the Dodge. Home Depot has Exide batteries for just under $100/ea.
Can't speak to their longevity yet, but if they only make it half as long, they only cost half as much to begin with.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
ACZL wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
OP Here,

I had both batteries tested today at Advance Auto Parts. Both checked out okay so I guess I'm going to wait and just keep getting them tested. Probably may consider replacing before cold weather.

Thanks!

Dave

Did Advance disconnect the wires from each battery and test w/o them? Just asking cuz it could be possible that may get a good read when it's actually not. But that being said, given the current batteries are 7 maybe 8 years old (time of actual manure date), why not just go ahead and replace them now and not worry wether or not they won't start the truck?

You only need to take one wire off of one battery to test them separately. My wonderful Ford dealer had no clue that they needed two separate tests.

The technician did disconnect something and ran the test on both batteries.

I would go ahead and replace them now but financially if I can wait a little it would be much better for me as I'm on a fixed disability income and a $400 expense is much better when budgeted and planned for.

Dave

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
OP Here,

I had both batteries tested today at Advance Auto Parts. Both checked out okay so I guess I'm going to wait and just keep getting them tested. Probably may consider replacing before cold weather.

Thanks!

Dave

Did Advance disconnect the wires from each battery and test w/o them? Just asking cuz it could be possible that may get a good read when it's actually not. But that being said, given the current batteries are 7 maybe 8 years old (time of actual manure date), why not just go ahead and replace them now and not worry wether or not they won't start the truck?

You only need to take one wire off of one battery to test them separately. My wonderful Ford dealer had no clue that they needed two separate tests.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
OP Here,

Thanks!

Dave

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Bedlam
Ten nuts or bolts on my Ram using four different size sockets and a step stool. It was harder than my previous Ford, but can be done. Is the GM that much worse?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here,

Thanks!

Dave

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I got my last set of truck batteries from Batteries Plus Bulbs because it was the only place open I could find that had them in stock at the time, and I was actually pretty happy with them. They swapped the batteries for me for free. I think the batteries may have been about $175 each plus tax. Les Schwab would install for free too but I would bet their prices are higher, albeit probably less than the dealer with the service fee. Honestly I think a dealership service department is generally only good for warranty work.

One area where the diesel trucks are unavoidably more expensive than their gas counterparts are battery replacements, and unfortunately I tend to only get about 4 years out of my batteries before I start having trouble.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
Got both of my batteries at Costco for my 08 replaced them twice over the years. Not that hard to replace. My 2020 has some fuse panels mounted on top of the batteries. A little more work but not that hard. The batteries on my 08 and 2020 are in the same place. One in front on drivers side and the other in the back on the passenger side. Check the owners manual for additional information. Costco had the best price for Interstate batteries.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW check with local Interstate battery store/dealer as well. Want to say they did mine on my old '03 F250 6.0 in their parking lot.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"