Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper jack torn off driving

Camperlifemt
Explorer
Explorer
***Link Removed***

Gentelmen,

I have a 2001 Okanagan. Front passenger side jack dropped down when I was camping and I didn't notice it. I drove off and it sounded like I drove over my fly rod. Unfortunately it was my jack that got ripped off the camper and bent. I was wondering if any of you have ever done this and repaired it? How long of a fix do you think this would be? Or should I
I pay someone to do it?

Thanks!
33 REPLIES 33

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you found this? https://hijackercamperjacks.com/
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for the sake of throwing it out there in case you want to save time you sound like you don't have. Maybe take some really good pic's of the damage. High res and lots of angles. Maybe look for RV service places in your surrounding area. Maybe a 4 hr drive radius. See if someone can give you a good price that's worth the drive and dropping it off.
Just a thought. 🙂
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Camperlifemt
Explorer
Explorer
I have hijacker jacks not sure they still make them? Ya its about 200 an hour in labor for 19 hours. I think Im going to try and fix it myself.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sounds like they would rather not work on your camper...
Are there any mobile RV techs in your area who might take a look?
I may have missed the information... which type of jack do you need? Atwoods have been discontinued unfortunately.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Camperlifemt
Explorer
Explorer
Well theres been a lot of good comments on here since I've been gone!!! Thanks I had to drop the camper off at an RV place so I could go to work. (Busy as **** running my own landscape company and dealing with a newborn and a wife.

They just called me a month later to tell me it would be $4500 to fix AND they can't get the jack in until the foreseeable future.
Im shopping right now looking for parts. I think I am going to get it back on my truck and bring it home and try to somehow take it off then fix it myself.

Thanks and here it goes!

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed that the camper is build out of finger jointed wood on that corner. It appears that there were three lags holding the jack from the side and three from the front. A section ow the structural wood is ripped out and needs replaced. I would use wood knives and cleanup the remaining wood and get it smooth and level and shape another piece of wood to replace what is missing. Test fit it while dry. Once it is correct sized and fits without voids go to HD and get their strongest wood glue and dab it all around into the side and then press the piece of wood that has been shaped to fit into place and secure it with a couple deck screws and allow to completely cure.

Next I would begin to replace the jack using wood to metal adhesive as well as lag bolt it from the side and the front.

Then work the remaining damage to repair the cosmetic appearance.

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Yep that happened to me as well, second year in AF811 Driving down the road heard a metallic clinging noise... Jack tube had broken lose as was bouncing up and down driving down the highway.

I contacted Rieco Titan and they shipped replacement parts to fix it.
Luckily didnt have the thing ripped of. They claim that water freezing in the jack tube cause the failure and did not charge me anything for the parts.. Yippee Riecon Titan.

I strapped it up and went home.

After that I drilled holes in my jack pads and made up some safety wires with clips and always clipped the jacks up...

Sorry to hear about your situation.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

116ult
Explorer
Explorer
I’m attempting the same repair as we speak , 116 okanagan camper with swing out jacks

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Bert the Welder wrote:
....Campers had three leg jacks. Also, I've had my 10.5 foot Okanogan on three legs and not on particularly level ground, with a breeze going. Extra wiggle, sure. But didn't seem to be in danger of going over....

That remind me Russian ingenuity

:B :B :B :B ..... Where there's a Babushka, there's a way!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bert the Welder wrote:
....Campers had three leg jacks. Also, I've had my 10.5 foot Okanogan on three legs and not on particularly level ground, with a breeze going. Extra wiggle, sure. But didn't seem to be in danger of going over....

That remind me Russian ingenuity

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camperlifemt wrote:
Thanks, I am going to a quote on it this morning to get it fixed. If its crazy expensive I'll do it myself. I own a small landscape and construction company and am slammed with work and need to get the camper off my truck asap.

The problem is how the hell do I get it off my truck with 3 workable jacks?

Not suggesting this is a GOOD idea, but way back when men smoked pipes and 4 legged campers were for wussies.....(tongue firmly in cheek, in sarcasm....) Campers had three leg jacks. Also, I've had my 10.5 foot Okanogan on three legs and not on particularly level ground, with a breeze going. Extra wiggle, sure. But didn't seem to be in danger of going over. So, if you've got the clenching muscle for it, might be fine unloading with the three. Just have someone with experience or trustworthy running around it, watching for the slightest contact. (Not my wife. Watching her try to give simple hand signals is like watching Jerry Lewis having a stroke AND an epileptic fit at the same time....) Once off, have said friend have a 2x4 wedged in the cabover/wall junction to help keep it balanced and have a premade lumber leg ready to wedge under there until repaired. Even a 2x4 temp screwed into the naked spot, wedged up snug to the cabover would probably be fine. But feel free to go overboard as far as you like to sleep at night..... 🙂

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
If your in business you should have a bottle jack or a floor jack some pipe, or 4x4, is all you need. Just be careful then shore it up safely enough to do repair.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see any lag bolts holes at all.
But picture shows only 1 side, so there is big margin for error.
Still all TC mounts I have seen have additional angle-liner inside, so the frame in the corner is sandwiched between the steel. Meaning if the light camper did not have it from the factory, I don't see much trouble to do it now.
Only floor frame has bigger wood chip, so there is lot of good wood to sandwich and 4 bolts going on other side can't be beat.
I also like the diamond plate idea.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
wnjj wrote:

Look again. You can see half of the exposed bolt holes running left to right. The entire front half of the stud is gone, split right across the bolt line. There are also bolt holes going in (looking straight into the photo)...

I see where front lag bolts pulled out of face and face of wood split off where side lag bolts went thru but I also dont see where there were thru bolts. Looks similar to our rear jack mounts-no thru bolts just lags.
Which Id look at replacing mounts that also had thru bolts, though don't know what jacks you have. Just give more mounting surface if you can get to back side of front wall corner.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com