cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3 valve v-10 vs. new 7.3?

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone driven both in the same configuration? Is the new engine worth it? Doesn't seem like a real huge difference on paper. What's the real world verdict?
7 REPLIES 7

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel economy will be better (10% ? 20% sounds like a lot). The big difference should be the 10 speed transmission. It should keep the engine operating in the most efficient RPM range which will improve economy and be more pleasant to drive.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Power under 4500rpm will be about the same. I agree with LanceRKeys, the 10-spd trans will make the most difference. And I expect the 7.3L uses about 20% less fuel than the V10.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not that much difference. I would think that the ten speed transmission makes the biggest difference.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hemling wrote:
I could care less how they slalom or drag race in class A motorhome chassis. I mean for the average guy is shelling out 50K for a new 7.3 significantly better than 15K for an old 2010 3 valve? I get there will be lots of differences like the transmission, but is the new 7.3 really that much of an improvement?

Only you can answer that question. Is the engine $35k better? Nope.
Whatโ€™s the package worth to you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
I could care less how they slalom or drag race in class A motorhome chassis. I mean for the average guy is shelling out 50K for a new 7.3 significantly better than 15K for an old 2010 3 valve? I get there will be lots of differences like the transmission, but is the new 7.3 really that much of an improvement?

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a comparison of the V10 running against a 7.3.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hemling wrote:
Anyone driven both in the same configuration? Is the new engine worth it? Doesn't seem like a real huge difference on paper. What's the real world verdict?

I'm guessing that the new V8 probably is a lower RPM engine, in that it produces it's highest crankshaft torque in a lower RPM range than the V10 does.

From reading about the V10 for years in the forums, many truck/RV V10 owners seem to not either understand, or care for, the higher RPMs required to tap it's torque and power.

America was "raised on" the rumbling noise and thumping power of gas V8 truck engines. The V10 is a different kind of truck engine.

For me personally, I prefer horsepower at high RPMs over horsepower at low RPMs ... so our V10 powered motorhome is a hoot for me to drive.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C