cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace OEM tires with 2 years life left?

Kalama_Kurt
Explorer
Explorer
We're picking up a new 2018 Cougar 310RLS on Friday. Our 2011 Elkridge 29RKSA will go up on consignment tomorrow.

The OEM Trailer King tires (235/80/16) have about two years life left based on the DOT code and 6 year max life before replacement rule-of-thumb.

Suggestions/advice on whether to run the OEM tires for a bit, or just buy the cheap insurance in terms of replacements now? I'd likely go with Maxxis if I do replace them, but wanted to hear from the forum for advice please...
35 REPLIES 35

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear Endurance wearing out in 20k miles is hardly perfection .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:
GY Endurance for me when I get some new tires.

Good call! It's hard to argue with perfection, reasonable price and Made In USA to boot!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
GY Endurance for me when I get some new tires.

Kalama_Kurt
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone for their input. Very helpful.

In the end, I'm right where I was when I posted initially. I'll likely install new Maxxis off Amazon. I've had good luck with them in the past, and they seem to have a pretty good reputation (with a few exceptions/negative posts) overall.

We pick up the new trailer in two hours!

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I would put them on Craigslist and go for new tires. Not worth having problems on the road.Not a fan of Carlisle either. Had a brand new one let go on the road less than 6 months old and all that was left was a one inch ring of rubber around the rim. Discount was good and gave me credit toward new Goodyear.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Cameocarriage08
Explorer
Explorer
No brainer for me. Immediately buy new Maxxis or Goodyear Endurance. I swap my tires every 3 years.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Kalama Kurt wrote:

First hand stories provide a powerful incentive...thanks. I'm pretty well convinced they need to be changed out. (In fact I was before posting) Now trying to determine between all the options. LT, Endurance, Maxxis, Sailun, 80 or 110 psi wheels, etc.

Well, here's a 2nd hand story - my buddy last year rolling home from our annual trip with his 6-year old tires had a blowout and got stuck beside the interstate for a few hours. Also, tore up the underside of a wheel well pretty good but thankfully didn't do any other damage. My trailer is 2 years newer and that did it for me. I swapped out my stock tires over the winter that had 11/15 date codes - went up a load range too so I feel good about the change. I went with Carlisle which are made in China but do have a good reputation. America's Tire I was out the door for $400 - 15" E rated, 2830#/ea.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
I am hearing lots of good things about Sailun, even thought they are made in China. But, what about Walmart for auto service? Seems like there could be a better place to buy tires.

I'm more tempted to go with Goodyear due to the USA made and reputable tire service departments.

Discount Tire is a good place to buy! Can't beat a perfect track record on the ENDURANCE.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Kalama_Kurt
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I had a 3 year old China bomb blow last year. I'd debated changing them, and wished I had. Ended up doing about $200 of damage.

Worst part was it was on the way home from my sons lacrosse tourney, and we had been sitting in 90+ degree heat for 4-5 hours then had to change the tire in 97 degree heat on a freshly paved black interstate. We had it changed and back on the road in less than 15 minutes. it was on the left side, and no one moves over to give a little room. Very nerve racking.

First hand stories provide a powerful incentive...thanks. I'm pretty well convinced they need to be changed out. (In fact I was before posting) Now trying to determine between all the options. LT, Endurance, Maxxis, Sailun, 80 or 110 psi wheels, etc.

Kalama_Kurt
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Tell dealer you want brand new tires in place of ones that are already 2-3 years old on a brand new coach that's been sitting in the sun

Tried that...but thanks. The RV market is hot at the moment. No one wants to fly or stay in hotels due to Covid. Hopefully, this should help on the consignment sale of our old coach...

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 3 year old China bomb blow last year. I'd debated changing them, and wished I had. Ended up doing about $200 of damage.

Worst part was it was on the way home from my sons lacrosse tourney, and we had been sitting in 90+ degree heat for 4-5 hours then had to change the tire in 97 degree heat on a freshly paved black interstate. We had it changed and back on the road in less than 15 minutes. it was on the left side, and no one moves over to give a little room. Very nerve racking.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Kalama_Kurt
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Interest rates being about .25% and all. LOL.
My bank pays 0.01% on a checking acct. Not exactly what I was counting on 20 years ago when I retired.

HSBC is paying 1.63%. Not much of an improvement, but some...

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Tell dealer you want brand new tires in place of ones that are already 2-3 years old on a brand new coach that's been sitting in the sun
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Personally.......I’d replace with a tire of good reputation. Many tires that fail, shown “zero” outward signs of impending failure.....belt “slippage” is not always readily apparent with a visual inspection! Many years ago, I observed a some old tires the had increased it’s circumference by over 6”, without a tape measure.....you would not have known. It took me a while to determine why the tires( multi-axle trailer) we’re contacting each other. I initially thought that I had a suspension failure. Nope......just tires getting much larger! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl