Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New to RV’ing....and might not last
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New to RV’ing....and might not last

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed Manifold wrote:

You said that you run the 50 amp to the side of the house. Please make sure you have a correctly wired 50amp plug. 220 house outlets are different than the RV outlets. If you use the 220 house power you will destroy many of your RV appliances per my understanding.
. no. 220 v wiring is standard on all outlets and inputs.
120v left blade, 120v right blade, top 1/2 round is ground, bottom center blade is neutral.
A multimeter will show correct voltage 238-248v when testing right to left, 118 -124v from right, left to ground or neutral.
Amperage load is another matter, with the RV connected and systems operating an amp clamp meter is used to measure the amperage load on each 120 v leg, a difference is normal depending on the service demands.
Research the wattage demands of each of your units systems and how they are split in your on board supply panel. When on 50 A service this is usually moot, as mfgrs usually do a good balance splitting load across the 120v legs.
When you plug into 30Amp. power both legs are powered by a single 120v.
On 50A 240v you have potentially 12000watts. thats 12 KW of power available.
On 30 A 120 v you have one 120v 30 A leg. 3600 watts Makes you a power miser, no 3 power hungry devices on at any time. Thats when you switch as much as you can to alternates like propane. Millions of rvers get along on even less plugged into home, a friends driveway, on batteries solar or generator for nights or months
You have started the adventure . When you get the hang of it, you will not want to hotel it again.

Ovinewar

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Understood on the 50amp being dual 110’s and not a dryer plug. Had a pro do the wiring. I am normally pretty handy but time can be an issue. Slowly but surely starting to figure this thing out. As to the locksmith, the door lock was picked in minutes. The deadbolt was the issue. Strange thing is, the fob now works. I am beginning to think some battery had run down inside the RV and not the fob. We now have plenty of keys so hopefully no more issues on that front. 400 mile round trip planned in two weeks So that should shake the bugs out and expose me to all I am learning on net and here. We are currently based in Southern Indiana. Rig is beautiful and grandkids excited. That alone is worth the effort. Thanks to all.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is good that the grandkids are excited about camping. Try to keep it fun but that does not necessarily mean waterparks and theme parks. We don't do commercial entertainment. The grandkids lost interest when they were in their early teens but have decided that it is really fun to be off the grid and away from civilization.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

contact rvdriving school

Ovinewar wrote:

Wife convinced me an RV was a must have......and unfortunately my mantra is go big or go home.....ended up with a 12 year old 42 foot class A. Made every mistake possible in the purchase but bought it right so no harm. Owner had passed so no training on how to control anything. The unit was immaculately cared for and meticulous service records. Promptly got locked out and locksmith had to drill out the deadbolt. Can only assume it was slightly jiggered and engaged when the door slammed shut. Lost a hubcap on the maiden drive home. 2008 American Eagle 42F and any suggestions to help me get my arms around what buttons do what would be most appreciated. Ran the 50 amp plug to side of house today so at least it isn’t hot as Hedes while trying to figure things out. I think this may eventually be fun but right now it is almost overwhelming. A smaller less optioned unit is looking pretty attractive right now- as is the Holiday Inn

Ovinewar

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

It is good that the grandkids are excited about camping. Try to keep it fun but that does not necessarily mean waterparks and theme parks. We don't do commercial entertainment. The grandkids lost interest when they were in their early teens but have decided that it is really fun to be off the grid and away from civilization.

We want the comfort of the RV but the great outdoors- UP Michigan types. Looking forward to skies without light pollution that I remember as a kid in nowhereville.

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call REV Group. They can email you some manuals. The ones they don't have call those companies....Aqua Hot, Onan, Thetford, Carefree, etc and ask for their manuals.

2014 American Eagle

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on going big and saving several steps. On IRV2 there is a Fleetwood section which would get better answers to your A Eagle specific questions. Yes the learning curve is pretty steep but a lot of free good info available.

Fleetwood https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/If

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New to RV’ing....and might not last
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.