cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much squat can I expect?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a new 2020 Duramax 3500 4x4 (crew, standard box). The bed rails are 59" off the ground (3" taller than my 16 year old Dodge 3500). The bed is also 3" taller than my existing truck at 39".

With my trailer leveled, the bottom of my overhang is at 60" giving only 1 inch of clearance. In order to get the trailer to ride level and give 6" clearance to the bedrails, The truck would need to squat 5". Assuming the pin weight of my trailer is about 2000-2400lbs, is that a reasonable expectation? The payload of the Chevy truck is 4185 lbs. So, I'm guessing it may not squat all that much.

I never really paid attention to how much my Dodge squats under the weight of the trailer because the trailer leveled out pretty well (maybe just a tad nose down) and there was always sufficient rail clearance.

The axles are already flipped on the trailer. So, welding on frame sections as spacers would be my only option for raising the trailer. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
17 REPLIES 17

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly don't need 4x4. In 16 years I have only "needed" it once to get up a gravel uphill driveway. But, the LOW range makes backing and maneuvering the trailer into my driveway for storage a dream. I have to go over a curb and up a small embankment and I can do it almost at idle with no stress and strain on the transmission and torque converter. I would get 4x4 just for that feature alone. The other reasons are that I like the way the truck looks and I like sitting up high - just not THAT high - lol.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Nighduckman
Explorer
Explorer
For what its worth, last fall my wife and I had precisely this problem when getting a rig for our Jayco HT% 24.5 CKTS 5th wheel--which is the lightest and smallest fifth wheel Jayco made in 2018 and is advertised as half-ton towable. We initially went with an F150 we'd been promised by both dealers (truck and RV) would be adequate (newbie mistake as we were over on payload and rear axle weights). We then looked at a few new 4x4 3/4 ton trucks. All were way too high. We would have had to pay big money to get the trailer lifted as the axles were already flipped. We found an article on one of the RV forums that said that 2WD F250s averaged 3" lower than the 4x4 F250 (which was way too high). We thought about our realistic needs and, given how we camp, didn't really need 4WD (we will pay for a tow if we ever get stuck) and went with the 2WD. Our 2WD has an electronic locking rear axle and, with all-terrain tires on the back, we figure we will be able to get through most rough spots. We have been very happy with it so far and I think you get a better overall ride with the 2WD. You will find, if you ask on the forum, that 2WD vs. 4WD is like arguing religion - strong opinions on either side. However, w/ 2WD The trailer sits perfectly even with only 1-2" of a squat. Just a thought for you if you don't absolutely need 4x4.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
I'm not sure about your specific truck but I recall people talking about replacing the spacers on the 1 ton truck rear springs with the 3/4 ton truck spacers to get a couple inches lower.

Never did it myself, so not sure if it's people running their mouths or if it's real.

It's a real thing. Ford even had a service bulletin at one time about it as the F250 looked like they just got rear ended by a snow plow. The truck blocks are available in many thickness's. Raising the 5er may cause issues with height problems if you are already at 13'6". You might end up being the only one pruning the trees on secondary roads.
Puma 30RKSS

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used 2" blocks from that same company a few years ago, and had no problems. Their blocks are billet aluminum, and U bolts are forged 9/16 or 5/8".

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I have also thought about a 2500 instead of the 3500. At 11350 GVWR, it still has over 500 lbs more cargo capacity than my older 3500. Maybe that would be a better match for my trailer. I just don't want a truck that's going to squat TOO much.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Itakethe5th2011 wrote:
I purchased a 2020 Chevy 2500HD in May. Had the same problem with the bed rail higher than my old 2500hdHD. I hooked up the 5th wheel with the proper 6" clearance between rail and trailer. I then pulled the trailer up on boards till I found out how much I was going to need to raise my 5th wheel. 3" was needed. My axles are already under leaf springs so I found 3" trailer blocks from a company in Canada called Trailer Blocks. (Trailerblocks.com). Install was pretty easy and my only problem is my step up into tailer is 3" higher, not a real problem.

This sounds intriguing. A 3" lift should make up for the 3" that the new truck will be over the old one. Are these pretty safe? I thought my only option was going to be a subframe with cross supports.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My DRW does not drop even 1/8" with 6k pin weight.

Bottom line hook it up with 6" bed clearance and see how it looks!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Itakethe5th2011
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2020 Chevy 2500HD in May. Had the same problem with the bed rail higher than my old 2500hdHD. I hooked up the 5th wheel with the proper 6" clearance between rail and trailer. I then pulled the trailer up on boards till I found out how much I was going to need to raise my 5th wheel. 3" was needed. My axles are already under leaf springs so I found 3" trailer blocks from a company in Canada called Trailer Blocks. (Trailerblocks.com). Install was pretty easy and my only problem is my step up into tailer is 3" higher, not a real problem.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say regarding the new truck. My truck is pretty much the same as your old truck and it squats 1 1/2" - 2" with a 2,000# pin attached. I hope that reference point helps. It sits empty with a little rake so the truck rides pretty much level when towing. I couldn't "upgrade" my truck as my trailer overhang is only 57". Nor, could I sell the trailer to someone with a newer truck. Probably will have to go as a combo when the time comes. It could be worse the, 4WD Ford F350 sits at 60 1/2".

It sounds like you haven't purchased the truck yet. When I was measuring bed rail height on trucks, I found the duallies sat about 2" lower. The Ram was at 57" but that was a few years ago.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder how much lower a 2wd model would be.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin, With your light RV pin weight, probably only a couple of inches! With a very heavy trailer pin/hitch weight you “may” get close to your needed “squat”. But, you “would not” be loved by others if you do any night driving.....your headlights would be well up into the tress. After our first trip with our Ram 3500 soft suspension towing a very high pin weight RV, resulted in night driving on low beams to replicate the unloaded truck high beams. When passing an opposing vehicle, I had to go to “high beams” to put my lights above the approaching vehicle. For our next trip.....we had air bags!

These newer trucks are ridiculously high, and make maintaining a level truck and 5th wheel RV while maintaining adequate box top rail/RV clearance, a very difficult proposition! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
my 17 dually drops 2 inchs then I level with my air bags. If I don't I get flashed every time at night.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm not sure about your specific truck but I recall people talking about replacing the spacers on the 1 ton truck rear springs with the 3/4 ton truck spacers to get a couple inches lower.

Never did it myself, so not sure if it's people running their mouths or if it's real.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dpglifestyle
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 GMC 35000 4x4 and with about 3800lbs pin load we get about 2" of squat. Our Lifestyles RV came with a high clearance suspension and I only have 5" of bed clearance when level. Not sure you're going to be level and have much bed clearance with that setup.
2015 Lifestyle LS36FW
2016 GMC 3500 CC Dually