Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: moving up to 50 amp from 30
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> moving up to 50 amp from 30

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Family-of-five

Cardale Pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all. Im trading in my 30 amp rig for a bigger rig with dual ac units and 50 amp.I used to run an extension cord from the garage and with the use of an adaptor,plug in for the frige and keep battery charged.My new unit does not use propane for the frige but runs off battery instead.I would like to run the extension cord like I used to to keep the battery charged.Is it ok to run 110 to the 50 amp power cord?

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, so long as you are only charging batteries and maybe one AC unit depending on the cord and the outlet (20 amp) that you are plugging into.
If your fridge is using AC power from an inverter, it MAY/PROBABLY/USUALLY has an automatic function that switches from inverter usage to run directly from the AC shore power, it that is the case, you likely will not be able to run the air conditioners with the reefer running also from the 20 amp circuit.

* This post was edited 07/12/20 07:00am by wanderingaimlessly *

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderingaimlessly
I'm glad you edited your reply. Had family-of-five used that extension cord and 20amp adapter set-up to run a converter/charger, inverter, fridge and AC....something would give (burn up). Usually the AC first.
Family-of-five should have a 30A or 50A outlet/breaker install closer to the RV.I did my 30A for under $200.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what the OP is asking, it would be okay using at least a 12 ga cord that is not super long. I agree with jdc1, and would add, all items mentioned including AC, would be a hefty load, even for a 30A dedicated circuit, but do able, if not a really long run.

Jerry

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use your 50A cord run to the outlet and a dogbone to connect to the receptacle. Then switch off all the circuit breakers to ACs and any other electricity hogs just so nothing gets turned on accidentally.
Best scenario is to install a 50A receptacle.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Continue to use the system that served your 30 amp RV.

If there is an Energy Management System, I'd set it to 15 amps to limit breaker tripping at the shore power breaker box.

Do use a #12 or #10 extension cord, if greater length is needed.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you proceed, I’m sure you’ll be careful in line with the comments above. Will your DW, kids and friends? Better to install adequate power.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Family-of-five wrote:

My new unit does not use propane for the frige but runs off battery instead.I would like to run the extension cord like I used to to keep the battery charged.Is it ok to run 110 to the 50 amp power cord?
OK so I assume you have a residential compressor fridge. There should be a way to run this direct on 120v power when you are plugged in at home or at camp. Battery power s/b just in transit or camped off-grid.

Otherwise the extension cord is fine. I recommend #12 wire for the cord.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Family-of-five

Cardale Pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im thinking about running a permanent power supply to the camper from the garage about 50 ft away. I am having a carport put in so I can keep my new baby covered,and I can put underground wires from the breaker box in the garage to inside my carport.30 amp should be enough to do what I want to do.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just confirm you don't have any 220v appliances (not common) and otherwise, it should be fine. If you do, kill the breakers to the 220v appliances before plugging in.

You will be limited on what you can run (maybe 1 air/con...definitely not both). But just running the fridge and keeping the battery charged, shouldn't be an issue.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> moving up to 50 amp from 30
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.