cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Sink Directly to Portable Wastewater Tank

nc_beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm working out some basic plumbing for a 6x12 cargo trailer --> camper conversion. My only inside water will be for a sink so I wondered if I could connect the sink drain directly to a portable wastewater tank (https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Tote-N-Stor/TNS25951.html) with a short RV sewer hose (https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Viper/D04-0402.html.) The tank opening looks like it's made to fit one end of the sewer hose, but I'm not sure about connecting the other end to the bottom of the sink, where I have a 1 1/4" threaded strainer. Anyone tried something like this? The tank will be directly below the sink.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Mark
21 REPLIES 21

nc_beagle
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
You don't say what kind of races. MX maybe?

The gray water should not really smell if just dumped out, it will start to smell bad inside a closed container however. I dump mine straight to the ground everywhere. Gray water is not pollution and a thimble full of soap is not bad for anything either. I even dump onto pavement if the water can get out of the way without others around having to deal with it; it does not have any odor. Sink water is mostly water and soap and whatever is on your hands or left on your dinner plate. Clean the cookwear and plates of debris as much as possible as you dont want particles in your sink hose anyway, and this will keep it off the ground.
In some parks dumping gray water will not be allowed so a bucket under the hose is all that is needed and that bucket has a way of getting disposed of each day.
A lot of cargo conversions has just a 5 gallon container to collect gray. This is not rocket science. If the container can hold liquid then it can hold gray.

Sorry about the delay. It's footracing, usually ultras. Trail running. So, I'm either parked in a field at the start/finish or at a nearby campground--whether state park or something else.

I like the container I got for catching the sink water but I'm not sure about connecting it. The idea above to use a garden hose directly to it is appealing but I'm unsure how to connect the parts. The sink has a (I believe) standard drain with a 1.25-1.5" (my eyes aren't what they once were) connection on the bottom. How do I get from that down to the garden hose--or anything that will connect to my tote-and-go?

Thanks again to everyone. I've done a lot of figuring out as I go along and this has been a great learning experience.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what kind of races. MX maybe?

The gray water should not really smell if just dumped out, it will start to smell bad inside a closed container however. I dump mine straight to the ground everywhere. Gray water is not pollution and a thimble full of soap is not bad for anything either. I even dump onto pavement if the water can get out of the way without others around having to deal with it; it does not have any odor. Sink water is mostly water and soap and whatever is on your hands or left on your dinner plate. Clean the cookwear and plates of debris as much as possible as you dont want particles in your sink hose anyway, and this will keep it off the ground.
In some parks dumping gray water will not be allowed so a bucket under the hose is all that is needed and that bucket has a way of getting disposed of each day.
A lot of cargo conversions has just a 5 gallon container to collect gray. This is not rocket science. If the container can hold liquid then it can hold gray.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we say "outside," we mean put the TOTE outside, with the hose running from the sink. We don't mean just drain the water outside.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

nc_beagle
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Here is your picture. I think I would run a garden type hose from the sink to the washout port of the tank (small opening up near the handle with a cap). When ready to dump it, just unscrew the hose, put the cap on the port, take to dump station and hook a regular dump hose from the tank (large port) to the dump hole.

Grey water can and often does smell just as bad or worse than the black tank. I would not run it on the ground unless camped alone in a large remote area. Your neighbors will not like you one bit if you run it on the ground. It is illegal, as far as I know, to do that in any state campground and most private ones. If you leave the caps on until ready to dump there should be no smell problem in the camper.
Barney

The dumping beside the neighbors is why I figured I'd just haul it back home after each trip and dispose of it at the house. It's only six gallons and I could empty it into a utility sink at home. I really don't expect to use six gallons on one of these trips. If it gets to that point, where I see six gallons isn't cutting it, I'll come up with a different solution. It's not like there will be 5-6 meals prepared each trip, etc... Just briefly washing hands and face, possibly.

I hadn't thought about draining to the small hole, but that would be an easier solution. I'll move in that direction. For now, I'll stick with it staying inside during use. I can give it some test runs in the coming weeks and see if smell becomes a problem.

Thanks to everyone for all the very fast feedback. This has been a fun project. I had a plan when I started, but have had to improvise a lot. I'll probably be posting another question soon about painting the outside.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My concern would be more about spilling the water inside the rig and then get mold to grow.
Second would be the odor!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
nc_beagle wrote:
Those of you suggesting it be put outside while camped, is that for smell reasons?
I would have it outside for ease of maintenance with a larger tote on wheels.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is your picture. I think I would run a garden type hose from the sink to the washout port of the tank (small opening up near the handle with a cap). When ready to dump it, just unscrew the hose, put the cap on the port, take to dump station and hook a regular dump hose from the tank (large port) to the dump hole.

Grey water can and often does smell just as bad or worse than the black tank. I would not run it on the ground unless camped alone in a large remote area. Your neighbors will not like you one bit if you run it on the ground. It is illegal, as far as I know, to do that in any state campground and most private ones. If you leave the caps on until ready to dump there should be no smell problem in the camper.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

nc_beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a picture of the setup, if it works. I'm often using scrap materials. The water storage container is on the floor directly under the traditional sink. The fresh water tank and pump are under a bed to the right of the sink. I haven't run it to the sink yet.

Picture of Sink

Those of you suggesting it be put outside while camped, is that for smell reasons?

The races are in various locations in the NC/VA/SC/GA/TN area. Sometimes, draining to the outside would probably be ok--I'm running a shower wand out the back door and that will obviously be only used where it would be ok. Sometimes it might be a State Park, where I'm not so sure.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeH wrote:
Instead of a p trap, you could use a hepvo trap. Serves the same purpose.

Yes. For $25 or $30. A P trap is cheap and there is nothing there to fail. By "cheap", I mean you can just put a loop in the drain hose.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Instead of a p trap, you could use a hepvo trap. Serves the same purpose.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to keep it under the sink, Use a 7 gallon Aquatainer or two. They are cheap at Walmart.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a big deal at all. My Coleman pop-up had the sink connected to an external garden hose connection. I Connected to a waste tote with a 6' hose and camped five years with this feature. No issues, none.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
What is the sink? Does it have a kitchen size opening for drain?

P trap for cargo camper

This will keep odors out. If gone on ebay, for those reading a few months late, use "JR Products Exterior Drain Trap RV Camper Concession Sinks" for search terms and it will come up.

You can use a flexible hose to route to your exit. A hose works, but a hose will kink, so get that plastic spiral hose which will not kink.

I just run mine out a hole in the floor to the ground. If you are racing you are in fields? No one will know, or care. If you want to collect it just put a bucket outside under the hose.

You can also route it to a bucket inside and under the sink. Or a portable 5 gallon fresh water tank, just cut a hole big enough for the hose to fit through in the containers's fill lid. Maybe a new lid with no hole for travel. A water bag also work, anything almost will work to catch sink water.

2 days of sink water will not be a bad smell, especially if it is not in an airtight container. It won't smell good, but ...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not put it inside while rig is in use. Route it to the exterior, then put in the rig while traveling. Note the big cap has hose connection. the port I posted earlier would allow for connection.
Yes, you could put it inside as long as the garden hose connection is tight. You may get some fumes!
Tote-N-stor

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker