cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyota fake 3/4 ton spotted, overheated

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were on our way out of the Jug Hollow camping site on Flaming gorge a couple of days ago when we ran into a traffic jam on the 5 mile dirt road into the area. A bit unusual.

Turns out some people with a new Toyota p/u one of those that claim to be 3/4 ton, was over heating on the hills (sic) pulling a very big TT. These 'hills' are the usual short ups and downs you find on many gravel roads. A hundred yards of up slope maybe. The driver insisted it was a 3/4 ton when someone suggested getting a real truck. It was a long, at least 35 ft TT tho, even with a real HD p/u he may have been overloaded but not overheated.

he finally managed to pull it forward far enough that p/u's could get by him. They were gone when we returned.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
54 REPLIES 54

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Stephen W wrote:
The company I retired from bought a new 2008 Tundra Limited to use as a shop truck. Beautiful brown leather interior. We manufactured industrial machinery and that truck was treated like **** for 5 years. It hauled and towed everything we threw at it with not one issue in 240,000 miles. As their national sales manager, I put at least 50k miles on it hauling machinery samples to shows and mills.

I towed a 16' tandem flatbed trailer (very heavy frame design with 4 wheel disc brakes) from Florida to Portland, Oregon for a trade show via Dallas, Denver, Salt Lake City and back.One of our engineers assured me the total loaded trailer weighed 9,200#. Truck was rated for 10,800# towing and it did just fine, running 65-70 mph most of the way, a little slower thru the Rockies. Upon my return, our plant manager flipped out over the amount of machinery on the trailer and took it to a truck stop to be weighed, disconnected from the truck. 14,120#! This was not like towing an RV, height was below truck cab roof and mostly heavy steel, so not much wind resistance. Clearly, we became more careful with our load weights, but that was one great truck. I'm a Ford guy and went thru 11 Grand Marquis as company cars, but I hate to see someone bash a Tundra, especially with no real facts about why it was on the side of the road.

Where's the like button?
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Stephen_W
Explorer
Explorer
The company I retired from bought a new 2008 Tundra Limited to use as a shop truck. Beautiful brown leather interior. We manufactured industrial machinery and that truck was treated like **** for 5 years. It hauled and towed everything we threw at it with not one issue in 240,000 miles. As their national sales manager, I put at least 50k miles on it hauling machinery samples to shows and mills.

I towed a 16' tandem flatbed trailer (very heavy frame design with 4 wheel disc brakes) from Florida to Portland, Oregon for a trade show via Dallas, Denver, Salt Lake City and back.One of our engineers assured me the total loaded trailer weighed 9,200#. Truck was rated for 10,800# towing and it did just fine, running 65-70 mph most of the way, a little slower thru the Rockies. Upon my return, our plant manager flipped out over the amount of machinery on the trailer and took it to a truck stop to be weighed, disconnected from the truck. 14,120#! This was not like towing an RV, height was below truck cab roof and mostly heavy steel, so not much wind resistance. Clearly, we became more careful with our load weights, but that was one great truck. I'm a Ford guy and went thru 11 Grand Marquis as company cars, but I hate to see someone bash a Tundra, especially with no real facts about why it was on the side of the road.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Did I miss something OP? Just wondering did u speak to the driver to get all that info? I’m curios. Anyway rarely I’ve seen a tundra broke down. I’m sure it happens but they are dead reliable. Nope I don’t own one, my best friend does. He farms with one, has 300k and worked hard everyday. Multiple dents from cattle running into it, scratches, I’m mean it’s been worked. Only problem...
Lost reverse and and a starter. That’s it, this truck has pulled all types of heavy trailers, and doesn’t miss a beat. Toyota really did well with that 5.7 engine. Just my 2 cents.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of these comments cements my long unanswered question.
Why do Honda and Toyota even have repair shops at their dealerships? Seems like all they would need is an oil change rack.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
If nothing is wrong and the cooling system is working properly, even overloaded, a truck should not be overheating.

So this truck had a mechanical problem. Had nothing to do with what it claimed to be.

Do we even know it overheated? The OP was speaking as if they had first hand knowledge but sounds more like conjecture based on an crystal ball conversation the owner had with the salesman.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If nothing is wrong and the cooling system is working properly, even overloaded, a truck should not be overheating.

So this truck had a mechanical problem. Had nothing to do with what it claimed to be.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2017 Tundra Limited with the TRD package for a short time as a work truck. Had a lot of issues with the brakes on it, maily with calipers leaking within 10k miles. However, I hooked my 36 ft 8300 lb trailer up to it for S&G and it handled it without issues for a couple short trips. Power was never an issue but it sure was thirsty in everyday driving.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Nice stories in this thread....
Sounds like all the drivers there were dooshes too like the guys on this forum beating their chests about HD trucks.
Ever occur to anyone that he just had a problem? You know, sometimes vehicles break down?

The one I like the best get a one ton dually with air assist , long bed ,you will thank me. Famous quote , I have heard more then once on this forum. Yup you hit it on the head ,beating their chests.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
Guess just need to bash some guys bad luck at the side of the road.

It happens all the time. 😞

Some people here are very insecure about their truck and need to validate themselves by putting down other people's trucks. Some people are blindly brand loyal and justify their decisions by insulting other brands. I've owned a Ford F150 and loved it, a Tundra and loved and currently a Ram and love it. They all make great trucks for different purposes. I'm secure enough with myself that I can buy different brands.

I had a 2010 Tundra with the 5.7 and it was a beast. Always had plenty of power, never once saw the gauge move towards hot. Eventually moved into a 3/4 ton truck when we had child #2 and a bigger camper. Now that we have child #3, the 3/4 ton truck was the right decision and I won't go back to a half ton... but I still enjoyed my Tundra and thought it was a great half ton truck.

For the record, in Maryland you can register at 7000 lbs or 10,000 lbs. My Tundra was rated to 7200 lbs I think, so I registered it to 10,000 lbs rather than 7000. It would have been perfectly "legal" to carry that much weight.

Interesting enough, my Cummins diesel has a much bigger coolant temp swing when towing than my Tundra ever did.

agesilaus wrote:
I suspect that he was guilty of actually believing a truck dealer when he asked him "can that truck pull my very long TT?"

Just want to make sure I understand your argument... the trailer was too LONG, which caused the overheating on a little hill? I've yet to hear this fallacy that trailer LENGTH affects coolant temperature. Are you sure you aren't mixing up your RV Weight Police conditions? Trailer too long usually causes the trailer to flip over and kill a bus full of nuns, not overheat...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learjet wrote:
Also, some quirks...biggest one that drives him crazy is...if you remote start the truck...it turns off when you open the door...then you have to put the key in and start it again 😞
By design to mitigate safety issues. Not a quirk.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I like that top one. I bet you’d have to pay a pretty penny for that one!

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
LanceRKeys wrote:
Outdated proven reliable power plant and less technology... I may want a tundra

I agree, and the reliability of 70's, and up Toyota's is what woke up American auto makers.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Outdated proven reliable power plant and less technology... I may want a tundra

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
My co-worker has one...electronics are outdated as well...for those who care about that.

Also, some quirks...biggest one that drives him crazy is...if you remote start the truck...it turns off when you open the door...then you have to put the key in and start it again 😞
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion