Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2021 Ford Bronco
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2021 Ford Bronco

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

For our off road and daily driver needs a IFS could be the ticket, but will need to test drive to confirm. I would like a soft long travel suspension which it appears how the Bronco is setup.

We came close to pulling the trigger on a Jeep Wrangler but with a few things we didn't like about it, and knowing the Bronco was coming we decided to hold off. Based on what I've seen we made the right decision.

The Bronco doesn't even have a mid-travel suspension let alone a long travel suspension. Heck, even the Raptor doesn't have a mid-travel suspension, but it is very close. If you are gonna use this vehicle as a daily/mall crawler that is not going to do any heavy rock crawling then IFS is the way to go. It will be noticeably smoother than a solid axle Jeep that you would have to throw a grand or so into for the same smoothness. If you do decide to take it on some serious trails, then make sure you bring along spare parts and/or upgrade to stronger materials if they have a lot of miles on them.

I'm sure there's plenty of Rubicons at the malls and I'm sure this Bronco will be more than capable of handling my dirt roads and pulling my 22ft bay boat. This vehicle will be my wifes daily driver as well so no routine rock climbing here. [emoticon]

I never said there wasn't Rubicons used as mall crawlers. Heck, Jeepers made up the term for other Jeepers that had bought off road rigs, but never take them off road or use them for what they were built for. Just like people who buy trucks that never haul anything, sports/muscle cars that never go to the track, or sedans that never carry more that two people.

All I said was IFS is a better choice if is is going to be used as a daily/mall crawler because of its comfortable that a sold axle(in stock form). This has nothing to do with brand, and I am not sure why everything boils down to brand in these conversations.

It is like you are taking me saying that IFS is not ideal for my kind of off roading as a personal assault to your preferences or how you will be using this vehicle. Is it because I pointed our a flaw for my preferences in a Ford product and you feel that you have to defend your brand? If this is the case I assure you I say the same about other IFS vehicles meant to go off road like Jeep Cherokees and Ram Rebels.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

For our off road and daily driver needs a IFS could be the ticket, but will need to test drive to confirm. I would like a soft long travel suspension which it appears how the Bronco is setup.

We came close to pulling the trigger on a Jeep Wrangler but with a few things we didn't like about it, and knowing the Bronco was coming we decided to hold off. Based on what I've seen we made the right decision.

The Bronco doesn't even have a mid-travel suspension let alone a long travel suspension. Heck, even the Raptor doesn't have a mid-travel suspension, but it is very close. If you are gonna use this vehicle as a daily/mall crawler that is not going to do any heavy rock crawling then IFS is the way to go. It will be noticeably smoother than a solid axle Jeep that you would have to throw a grand or so into for the same smoothness. If you do decide to take it on some serious trails, then make sure you bring along spare parts and/or upgrade to stronger materials if they have a lot of miles on them.

I'm sure there's plenty of Rubicons at the malls and I'm sure this Bronco will be more than capable of handling my dirt roads and pulling my 22ft bay boat. This vehicle will be my wifes daily driver as well so no routine rock climbing here. [emoticon]

I never said there wasn't Rubicons used as mall crawlers. Heck, Jeepers made up the term for other Jeepers that had bought off road rigs, but never take them off road or use them for what they were built for. Just like people who buy trucks that never haul anything, sports/muscle cars that never go to the track, or sedans that never carry more that two people.

All I said was IFS is a better choice if is is going to be used as a daily/mall crawler because of its comfortable that a sold axle(in stock form). This has nothing to do with brand, and I am not sure why everything boils down to brand in these conversations.

It is like you are taking me saying that IFS is not ideal for my kind of off roading as a personal assault to your preferences or how you will be using this vehicle. Is it because I pointed our a flaw for my preferences in a Ford product and you feel that you have to defend your brand? If this is the case I assure you I say the same about other IFS vehicles meant to go off road like Jeep Cherokees and Ram Rebels.

Per this video the Bronco will have class leading suspension travel with 10" in the front and more than 10" in the back. So I would say this has long travel suspension IMO.

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can Bronco be towed 4 down?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zigzagrv wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Get you some FlexSeal to patch up those door holes, and read your owner's manual to find out what those goofy things are on the top leading edge of the front fenders, and you're good to go!!

All kidding aside, a nice effort by Ford.

Those goofy things are tie-downs for attaching large things to the roof, plus they give you a good visual exactly where the front corners are. Love to have one!

Actually they are for limb risers. When you are driving tight trails they lift tree branches up and over the roof so they don't smack the windshield.

[image]

I think is a good effort and I look forward to the reviews. It seems like Ford really tried instead of phoning it in and slapping the Bronco name on something (Looking at you Chevy Blazer [emoticon] ).

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Per this video the Bronco will have class leading suspension travel with 10" in the front and more than 10" in the back. So I would say this has long travel suspension IMO.

Link

So this is why you are taking it personal? Because I said something that didn't go along with what your brand's marketing department said?

Long travel suspensions generally start around 17+ inches of travel in the front/rear and are very hard to drive on road. Mid travel is around 14-16 inches of travel in the front/rear which depends on the vehicle. In order for this Bronco to have a long travel suspension, it would have have to have a wide footprint because the control arms would have to be much longer(probably longer than what can be legally driven on road). This is why all long travel vehicles have wide and tall fenders to keep the tires from hitting them as they travel up.

If the Bronco had a long travel suspension on it, it would tear those stock fenders up seeing how close they are to the tire especially on the 35 inch tire models.

I also don't care too much about the stock specs of anything because I like to modify my vehicles which is why my JK Rubi has over 22" of travel with it's Metalcloak suspension that cost me around $2,600 and I was able to put it on in a day. It would cost more than three times that amount to do the same on an IFS system and would require some major modifications. All I had to do is trim my fenders a little our buy new ones for about $300-700. Here is the amount of travel that just a 2.5 inch lift can add to an solid axle for just $2,600 on a very minor obstacle (LINK). An IFS would be teeter tottering with only one tire on the ground up front on a simple obstacle like that.

If you want to see what it takes to make the Raptor a mid-travel(from 13 to 16 inches) and what it does for the truck, then you can look at the parts and video in this LINK. The Bronco would have to replace its hood and fenders(like the stock Raptor has) to get the same type of travel because the longer control arms would make the tires stick out much further. On a solid axle, you don't have to widen the whole suspension in order to get more travel like you do on an IFS.

* This post was last edited 07/15/20 09:04am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new Broncos are certainly bad @ss.
Now if Ford can price point them to not be so ridiculously priced like the Wrangler Rubis and Gladiators they will mop up the competition!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it looks pretty cool. I'd still favor a Rubicon for the SFA, though. Also Jeeps are like Glocks - they're unrivaled in terms of aftermarket support for those who want to geek out on their rigs. That's a lot of people now that overlanding is a big thing, even though it's largely just a new label for car camping.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been a Jeep owner for quite awhile, 05 Rubicon heavily modded.

Those new "offroad" Broncos are easy on the eyes and will certainly hurt Jeep sales.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new Bronco will surly give Stellantis a run for the money. If there is one constant in the world it is change.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Link

So this is why you are taking it personal? Because I said something that didn't go along with what your brand's marketing department said?

Long travel suspensions generally start around 17+ inches of travel in the front/rear and are very hard to drive on road. Mid travel is around 14-16 inches of travel in the front/rear which depends on the vehicle. In order for this Bronco to have a long travel suspension, it would have have to have a wide footprint because the control arms would have to be much longer(probably longer than what can be legally driven on road). This is why all long travel vehicles have wide and tall fenders to keep the tires from hitting them as they travel up.

If the Bronco had a long travel suspension on it, it would tear those stock fenders up seeing how close they are to the tire especially on the 35 inch tire models.

I also don't care too much about the stock specs of anything because I like to modify my vehicles which is why my JK Rubi has over 22" of travel with it's Metalcloak suspension that cost me around $2,600 and I was able to put it on in a day. It would cost more than three times that amount to do the same on an IFS system and would require some major modifications. All I had to do is trim my fenders a little our buy new ones for about $300-700. Here is the amount of travel that just a 2.5 inch lift can add to an solid axle for just $2,600 on a very minor obstacle (LINK). An IFS would be teeter tottering with only one tire on the ground up front on a simple obstacle like that.

If you want to see what it takes to make the Raptor a mid-travel(from 13 to 16 inches) and what it does for the truck, then you can look at the parts and video in this LINK. The Bronco would have to replace its hood and fenders(like the stock Raptor has) to get the same type of travel because the longer control arms would make the tires stick out much further. On a solid axle, you don't have to widen the whole suspension in order to get more travel like you do on an IFS.

LOL Shiner... Just a reminder that I'm not your boy Ryan so I'm not going into your endless back and fourth circle jerk. We're looking for my wife's next vehicle and for now the Bronco looks like it could be a good fit for her and our needs. Also the Bronco looks like it has better leg room which is important for me but will have to verify and I would have liked to see electric seats.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2021 Ford Bronco
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.