cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

modernizing older hybrid

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '02 Thor 18DT. I really only use the front bed. It's not a huge pain to set up but I was wondering about modernizing two areas:
1) Replace the rods underneath that hold up the bed. What if I attached cables from the bed corners to the camper body?
2) The vinyl has snaps on the leading edge and then uses bungee cords to attach the sides to each other under the bed base. What if I screwed the 3 sides to the bed base, making it permanently attached?

With those mods, all I would have to do is release the clamps, drop the bed down, and put in the top metal rod that holds up the vinyl.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g
2 REPLIES 2

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had e similar rig for awhile. I would not invest too much in it. They have some design flaws which make it hard to keep the water out even when they are closed up.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
soon2bexpat wrote:
I have an '02 Thor 18DT. I really only use the front bed. It's not a huge pain to set up but I was wondering about modernizing two areas:
1) Replace the rods underneath that hold up the bed. What if I attached cables from the bed corners to the camper body?
2) The vinyl has snaps on the leading edge and then uses bungee cords to attach the sides to each other under the bed base. What if I screwed the 3 sides to the bed base, making it permanently attached?

With those mods, all I would have to do is release the clamps, drop the bed down, and put in the top metal rod that holds up the vinyl.

your hybrid is not engineered for the cable system. newer hybrids have a reinforced bunk door frame that was engineered to support the door by cables.
your hybrid doesn't have any of that since your bunk doors are supported by poles into the A-frame.

but i guess you could do the permanent attachment thing. you'll need some aluminum pieces to hold down the tent edges.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes