cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Door Lock?

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone changed out their door lock/handle to one of the keyless push button/remote door locks? I’ve been looking at them and wondering how well they work. They seam to range anywhere in price from $108.00 to $250.00. Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Bauer one for 3 years. The 1st one died after a few days, but they sent a replacement right away. It's worked perfectly since.

We have lots of family and kids coming by, so this thing has made things easier.

The 1st set of batteries lasted 2years.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one. Love it. Just have to remember to change the batteries every few months.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered one from Latch.it.org. Looks like a nice unit. All metal, two fobs and the key pad is back lit. They are a family owned business in the USA. I emailed the company and they sent me a $15 off coupon. Looking forward to using it. Thanks for all your responses.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed ours over a year ago and it still has the original batteries in it.
RVLock's best sale is on one day Thanksgiving weekend-- don't remember if it's on Friday or Saturday-- for 40% off.
They had just sent me an email recently for 30% off.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

rvrev2
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the RVLock for almost 2 years now. It has functioned great. BUT, the other day I discovered that the vinyl covering for the key pad that has all the numbers written on it had blown off while in transit. It is plain, white plastic beneath. RVLock does sell a replacement covering, which means that they know these things can fly off. I don't know if I would get another one.
2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG
2005 Chevy 2500 HD, crew cab, long bed
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the swimming trunks, shorts, and such always have had a pocket or two. But as I said it would be handy to be able to have friends have a way to access your trailer. But if you need to have a key hidden in case of battery failure, just tell them where the hidden key is and problem averted. KISS. To me they're a solution in search of a problem.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
It would be handy if you have the need for multiple people to have access when you're away. Other than that, one more gadget to fail.

If you only ever leave and lock the RV when departing via vehicle, yeah, it's something else to break.

If you go together to the beach, pool, friends sites, I often don't have pockets to keep a key in, so it's nice to be able to not have to mess with the keys.

And if something were to happen to it, you can always use the key.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Ours came with keyless entry. We have found it to be a nice feature. We stay at the beach about 3 months a year and it is so convenient to be able to lock the door when we go down to he beach for the day and not worry about a key. As far as another feature to go bad it works just as good as the keyless entry on your tow vehicle. Ours sounds an alarm when the battery gets low so I don't worry about that. I replace my batteries twice a year but we use the lock a lot.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
love it

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Allworth wrote:
I just keep in mind the fact that my son (the Chevy Technician) keeps saying "The more gee-whiz/flash-bang features you have on any vehicle, the more chances that something is going to poop in your hat!"

Do I REALLY need this??

A

Sounds like what I refer to as FRED.

fj12ryder wrote:
It would be handy if you have the need for multiple people to have access when you're away. Other than that, one more gadget to fail.

My thoughts on locks in general; You can give somebody a key, then get it back when they don't need anymore. A combination, you give it to them, they got it.

Another way to look at it: If you give someone a key they make a copy, they got it. If you change the combination their old combination key is useless.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
I just keep in mind the fact that my son (the Chevy Technician) keeps saying "The more gee-whiz/flash-bang features you have on any vehicle, the more chances that something is going to poop in your hat!"

Do I REALLY need this??

A

Sounds like what I refer to as FRED.

fj12ryder wrote:

My thoughts on locks in general; You can give somebody a key, then get it back when they don't need anymore. A combination, you give it to them, they got it.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the early ones from Bauer. They replaced it within a year due to a cheap plastic handle that was changed to metal. It was hard on batteries. I discovered that the folding assist handle when wet would cause the numeric keypad to illuminate and run down the batteries. So I had to put a rubber bumper on the handle. Lately it is shorting out and not working like there is a loose wire. Its 7 years old so maybe the new ones are better. I really like it while it was working. I'd be interested to hear what brand people have, the age of it and reliability.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
We have one from RV lock. It's about 18 months old and I have not changed the batteries yet.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"