cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Losing home & need to immediately relocate to truck camper

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the luxury of years researching everything I need to know to get started.
Since I don't have roots and can work remotely, I want to hit the road ASAP.
I can't seen to find a source that gives a concise and exhaustive how-to guide.
I'm always left with questions.

For instance:
Everything I need to go off-grid?

Basic equipment everyone should bring such as
emergency repair kits, hatchets, saws, etc. ?

The best way to find caravan groups to start out with?

All the places you can safely & legally boondock?

Also curious as to what you think the best rig is for a small signature and versatility?

Is there a guide to must-see locales? Maybe a kind of itinerary on how to hit all of them?
37 REPLIES 37

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
You did say "Not sure how you read the forum" so I was just explaining how I do.

And you are criticizing the way I do. I never asked asked for your explanation. Move along...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
bikendan wrote:
I always read the whole thread before responding because i don't want to post something that's no longer relevant. If i'm not willing to read the whole thread, i don't post.

When I'm retired, I'll waste significantly more time to keep you happy. Stay safe, thank you for your service.

You did say "Not sure how you read the forum" so I was just explaining how I do.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
I always read the whole thread before responding because i don't want to post something that's no longer relevant. If i'm not willing to read the whole thread, i don't post.

When I'm retired, I'll waste significantly more time to keep you happy. Stay safe, thank you for your service.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
bikendan wrote:
You should have read the OP's post right above yours, before posting.:h

Not sure how YOU read forums, but I tend to respond to comments as I see them, not read the entire thread and then go back to comments to which I wanted to reply. Regardless, my comments stand. He bought something, but not at all what he was looking to buy. It will be a struggle for him and it will be far more expensive than simply staying in a less expensive long term housing situation.:h

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you go over to cheaprvliving.com and research on how to live in that van. Tons of good info there.

The secret is going to be moving with the seasons to stay warm/cool and travel as little as possible to conserve gas money. Lots of people do this in Arizona by moving up in altitude in the summer and back down in the winter.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:

Not sure how YOU read forums, but I tend to respond to comments as I see them, not read the entire thread and then go back to comments to which I wanted to reply. Regardless, my comments stand. He bought something, but not at all what he was looking to buy. It will be a struggle for him and it will be far more expensive than simply staying in a less expensive long term housing situation.:h
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
CMKelin wrote:
I understand but look right above & we already got one.

Now we're looking at Off-Grid power systems.

Hope it works out for you, but I stand by my comments. It's going to be difficult and expensive.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
id suggest planning a plan B for when this doesnt work out. That said figure out your power usage and we will help you size accordingly. Id be looking at 3-500 watts solar and a bank of as many 6V batteries as i could afford (hopefully 8). you dont need 4 seasons, follow the season you want. winter where its warm summer where its cool. forget milage, its bad, its not going to get better.

dont be cheap with your charge controller

once you start to be ok with the bad fuel milage add in that you should expect to burn some propane

keep an eye on weights make sure you dont run out of payload.

next up water. figure out your plan for potable, black and gray water and let us know so we can help
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
CMKelin wrote:

Ideally, we want to spend $15k between a truck & a camper. We want an all-season camper. We don't know about trucks to know what we need.
We've heard that F150s are excellent. Ideally, we want a setup where we can get more than 11 mpg.

Are there any particular trucks you recommend? We heard that diesel gets better mpg but that the cost of maintenance is so high that you might as well go with gas.

$15K for a truck and camper that you'll fulltime in? Doubtful.
$15K for an all season camper? Doubtful.
F-150 for a truck camper? Almost impossible..
11 mpg towing? Unlikely.

Truthfully it sounds like you have done zero research and have outlandish expectations. Simple internet searches will give you lots of answers to your questions. I don't foresee your experiment being successful at all. Sounds like you still have a job, I would just look for more affordable housing somewhere else. Camping isn't a cheap venture.

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
CMKelin wrote:

Ideally, we want to spend $15k between a truck & a camper. We want an all-season camper. We don't know about trucks to know what we need.
We've heard that F150s are excellent. Ideally, we want a setup where we can get more than 11 mpg.

Are there any particular trucks you recommend? We heard that diesel gets better mpg but that the cost of maintenance is so high that you might as well go with gas.

11 mpg towing? Unlikely.

Truthfully it sounds like you have done zero research and have outlandish expectations. Simple internet searches will give you lots of answers to your questions. I don't foresee your experiment being successful at all. Sounds like you still have a job, I would just look for more affordable housing somewhere else. Camping isn't a cheap venture.

I understand but look right above & we already got one.

Now we're looking at Off-Grid power systems.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
CMKelin wrote:

11 mpg towing? Unlikely.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oh boy....
Yโ€™all, I mean you, umm, delivered?
Good luck buddy, or maโ€™am.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I've been gone for a couple of weeks.

First, the we is a me. I just tend to use the We from writing papers at school.

And we- I got something- a 1994 Ford Econoline in pristine condition.
But it's in process of being delivered. Before it arrives though
my first concern is trying to understand the energy usage of the camper and how to keep power off grid, whether to use solar panels, what kind and what kind of batteries I will need.

Thank everyone who has helped, sorry for the hiatus, but it looks like we're back. I'm back.

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
If you're traveling enough that gas mileage is a significant concern (i.e. a significant part of your budget), you probably would save money by using an efficient car and staying in motels, many of which have internet access available that's at least as good as what is found at most campgrounds...and often a good bit better.

Anyhow, some advantages of a truck camper: one less thing to register (in nearly every state), you can get into more out-of-the-way places particularly if your truck is four wheel drive, easier maneuvering in tight places generally. Some disadvantages: they're tight, and due to the limited space have limited capacities for water, propane, etc. Storage for stuff for full-time living is quite limited.

Some advantages of a trailer: more space, in some cases much much more space; you can easily leave the trailer at a camp site and take the tow vehicle to town or wherever you need to go; easier to climb in and out. Some disadvantages: you have a trailer to maintain; if it's not a fifth wheel, or if you're on the east or west coast, you cannot legally tow a second trailer; somewhat more effort to set up or break camp, in general.

Some advantages of a motorhome: Very easy to set up and break camp; you have ready access to the kitchen, bathroom, etc. while en route; you can usually tow something else if the need comes up. Disadvantages: chassis maintenance costs (tires, for instance--not too bad for most class C's, significant for a large diesel pusher motorhome); not great fuel mileage; you have to take your RV with you when driving into town or whatever, even if you aren't otherwise breaking camp, unless you tow a second vehicle.

For $15K, you might be able to get a (well) used but basically sound and fully functioning, probably class C, motorhome with a bit of shopping around; or a trailer in reasonable shape and a suitable tow vehicle. For the latter, it might be worth looking into full-size vans for the tow vehicle; many are (or can be) equipped to tow a pretty good sized trailer, and have adequate payload capacity to handle the tongue weight and also carry a useful load inside at the same time. A fair few pickup trucks and SUVs, especially the smaller ones, tend to have limited payload such that you can tow a trailer or carry some stuff, but not much of both at the same time.

As a general observation, pretty much any vehicle that can serve as one's house, with kitchen and bathroom facilities and so forth, is going to be pretty big and heavy, and hence neither inconspicuous nor fuel efficient.

We're torn between a Class B and a truck camper, mainly looking for versatility and decent milage. As far as Class B, everything under $30K is very used.