cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Transit vs. Dodge Ram Van?

saguaro
Explorer
Explorer
Expecting soon to buy a hightop van (non-diesel) to convert into a Class B camper. Looking for input on advantages/disadvantages of both. My main concerns have to do more with dependability, endurance, durability, and general user-friendly performance than style or latest technological applications. I have driven both and decided, with all other things being equal, that the Ford in general is more attractive in appearance and road handling, but I have no experience with the durability/dependability issues of either brand. Would be appreciative of your comments, both positive and negative, regarding both. Thanks ahead of time, saguaro.
4 REPLIES 4

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, those 'Ram' vans are Fiats. I believe if you do some research on the problems they've had (as I did), especially among commercial users, you'll end up with the Ford Transit. But do your research for sure.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've read that the OEM repair parts supply train for FCA products can be quite slow. Some owners have had their vehicles sidelined for months awaiting parts. I'm sure it depends on the actual part needed, of course.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
They are both going to be plenty reliable. the big obvious differentiator is front wheel drive vs rear. Advantages can go either way depending on how you use the vehicle.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I test drove both back in 2015. I couldn't stand the Ram "clutchless automatic". Every time it shifted the pause in acceleration would make you nod forward. In a real manual you know when you're going to shift and so can anticipate the pause in acceleration.
My company ended up buying the Transit, a 250 model. It was soon announced that there was a recall on the driveshaft coupling I think it was. It was apparently made of plastic and prone to breakage. Their "solution" was to bring the van in every 30,000 miles and they would install a new one free of charge. You couldn't have it done for free until you reached another 30,000 miles so you had to hope it didn't break before then. Ours never did but I wasn't impressed by the "solution".
Other than that I have no real complaints about the van even though I'm not a Ford guy by any stretch.
By the way, ours was a diesel.