Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: First barrage with the dealer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > First barrage with the dealer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Boomerweps

Hills of PA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/30/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/09/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 www.rvtrader.com
I bought my 2019 TT 180 miles away in the next state. $11,500.00 vs. $16,000 2018 50 miles away April 2019. Base price Taxes, state paperwork fees added, no delivery fees added, THAT should be part of the sales price. Separating that out is a dealer money maker. My TT was listed by some dealers out to near $22,000!
Dealer I worked with sent me photos of the 2019 changes, mostly around the full size refrigerator vice previous under counter model (lost a small pantry).


2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC


Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

MSRP is a government mandated requirement isn't it?


No.

That would be GSRP, GOVERNMENT SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE.

Last time I checked, we ARE still United States Of America and government does not set the prices or "mandate" the prices we pay for things like RVs.. Pretty much USA works on SUPPLY AND DEMAND unlike some other countries. Not enough supply for the demand and prices stay high, too much supply and prices drop.

RV manufacturers just like any other manufacturer has TWO prices, Suggested Retail (MSRP) and INVOICE (the price the DEALER pays to buy from the manufacturer).

INVOICE ALWAYS LOWER than the RETAIL.

Dealers goal is to get RETAIL OR MORE whenever possible.

There are times when the dealer CAN sell for less than Invoice, typically happens when manufacturer is trying to clear out old or slow moving models. At those times Manufacturer may offer dealer certain "Incentives" like cash back or "spiffs" to dealer to sweeten the deal. Those incentives in the RV world are not offered to the public unlike auto sales.

Dealer may also get bonus money from manufacturer at the end of year depending on how much sales were generated for the manufacturer.

No matter how much they whine about not making money on a sale they do have wiggle room in the price between Invoice and MSRP to earn enough money to pay sales people, keep the lights on, pay lot rent, pay inventory carry costs and yes even make a profit.

Dealers do pad the bill by adding on extra charges like DOC prep fees and in the case of the OP, Freight??? Those are pure profits..

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raife wrote:

I know in 6-12 months the market will be better, but we are trying to get some trips in before a big trip in November. I am going to start looking at some campground options in the next day for our potential "shakedown" trips.

We tend to keep things for a long time (i.e. every car we have owned we sold close to 200K miles), so not worried about selling in a year or two and necessarily being upside down. We also plan on paying more per month than what ever the financing ends up at...

I know he can sell to someone else without issue as when we tried to put a hold on a unit it was gone in the 30 minutes my wife and I discussed. The subsequent one we now have the hold on happened to be inbound.

I contact 40 dealers in a 5 hour radius of us and we only got 5 in-stock used or new units that meet my weight, length, and sleeping requirements. 2 were too small...


Nobody knows what the market will be in 1 day from now, let alone 6-12 months from now it may be better, it may be worse.

Seems to me you are putting way to much "pressure" on yourself by lining up camping "opportunities" and not having a RV to camp in.

STOP.

RESET.

You are driving yourself crazy because of the pressure that you are putting yourself under.

The proverbial "putting the cart before the horse".

PUSH OUT your camping until you actually physically have a RV, then do a few "backyard" camping in your driveway or literally in your back yard.

Heck, my DW and I have been camping for almost 20 yrs and this is the first year we have PUSHED out all of our camping until next Summer due to the C thing.

You are not missing one thing other than the pressure, headaches and misery you are putting yourself under.

If your REALLY feel you MUST camp this year, start looking at USED RVs, there are PLENTY of used RVs OR EVEN RENT A RV once or twice.

Dig around CL, always plenty of those on CL to choose from. This also gives you a chance to review what you like, don't like or find you might want in a new one and allows for you to have more time to strike a deal that you can live with for a new unit.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2005

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd use the internet to find a couple other dealers with the same model, email them with a nice low out-the-door offer you'd be willing to pay them, and see what responses you get back. What they say will tell you how good or bad a price this first dealer is offering, relative to competition.


Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point


noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

noteven wrote:

MSRP is a government mandated requirement isn't it?


No.

That would be GSRP, GOVERNMENT SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE.

Last time I checked, we ARE still United States Of America and government does not set the prices or "mandate" the prices we pay for things like RVs.. Pretty much USA works on SUPPLY AND DEMAND unlike some other countries. Not enough supply for the demand and prices stay high, too much supply and prices drop.

RV manufacturers just like any other manufacturer has TWO prices, Suggested Retail (MSRP) and INVOICE (the price the DEALER pays to buy from the manufacturer).

INVOICE ALWAYS LOWER than the RETAIL.

Dealers goal is to get RETAIL OR MORE whenever possible.

There are times when the dealer CAN sell for less than Invoice, typically happens when manufacturer is trying to clear out old or slow moving models. At those times Manufacturer may offer dealer certain "Incentives" like cash back or "spiffs" to dealer to sweeten the deal. Those incentives in the RV world are not offered to the public unlike auto sales.

Dealer may also get bonus money from manufacturer at the end of year depending on how much sales were generated for the manufacturer.

No matter how much they whine about not making money on a sale they do have wiggle room in the price between Invoice and MSRP to earn enough money to pay sales people, keep the lights on, pay lot rent, pay inventory carry costs and yes even make a profit.

Dealers do pad the bill by adding on extra charges like DOC prep fees and in the case of the OP, Freight??? Those are pure profits..


Oops I didn’t mean government sets MSRP...

Let me re-word my question correctly:

Displaying / publishing a MSRP is mandated by government isn’t it?

the e-man

Virginia

Full Member

Joined: 02/08/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/09/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raife wrote:

I know in 6-12 months the market will be better, but we are trying to get some trips in before a big trip in November. I am going to start looking at some campground options in the next day for our potential "shakedown" trips.


Hi Raife,

It seems like you are doing your research. You have picked some nice campers that meet your needs. It doesn't look like this dealer has added too many extra fees that you might have encountered elsewhere.

Many of us look for the best deal we can get when shopping for an RV. It's up to you to decide how urgent the purchase is and how much you can afford. Sometimes it's good to wait. Other times, you can jump in and enjoy something now. It's a trade off. Wait for a potentially better deal later or take an OK deal now. One approach maximizes the budget while the other maximizes for current enjoyment.

One other thought. Consider going to your local bank or credit union to line up a loan. You may find you can get a better deal that what is offered at the dealer. It seems like rates are pretty low at the moment - which could help you save a bit on your overall cost.


2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living


Beaker

Brevard, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/09/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I'd use the internet to find a couple other dealers with the same model, email them with a nice low out-the-door offer you'd be willing to pay them, and see what responses you get back. What they say will tell you how good or bad a price this first dealer is offering, relative to competition.


This is the only way to get an idea what that trailer is selling for.
Doesn't matter what profit he says they're making(you believe him?) and I have never worried about what someones profit is whether cars or trailers. I get the best price I can get "out the door". Let them fill in the blanks however they want.


2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:


Oops I didn’t mean government sets MSRP...

Let me re-word my question correctly:

Displaying / publishing a MSRP is mandated by government isn’t it?


Prove it.

Provide a direct link to exactly WHERE it specifically states that a MSRP is mandated to be shown/displayed/published.

Even IF there was such "mandate" the MANUFACTURER SETS the MSRP so in reality what difference would it make.

Things like a RV are something that must be negotiated by the Dealer and the buyer in spite of what MSRP is unless you do not mind paying MSRP. The dealer and buyer must come to an agreement with a price between the invoice and MSRP that both sides are happy and comfortable with. The downside with the whole process is only the dealer has both Invoice and MSRP pricing leaving the buyer to kind of guess at the prices.

But why worry about publishing the MSRP? The dealer posts it, the dealer will tell you it, but it doesn't mean you MUST pay MSRP.

It is the INVOICE price that also should be transparent and the difference between the two is the negotiating room which is not published. Invoice on RVs is private between the dealer and manufacturer, buyer will never know what that is. There is nothing illegal about keeping Invoice price secret. Dealers must turn a profit, there is no way a dealer will be able to turn a profit if they buy at Invoice and sell for invoice.

If you do not agree with that then perhaps you should try starting and running a business and buy all materials for invoice (wholesale) and then sell them for the same wholesale price you bought them for.. You will not stay in business for long.

The OP needs to temper their expectations of what price they are willing to pay, it is possible that the OP's expectations may be higher than real world reality. Some of that comes from folks spouting off that everyone should get XX% off the MSRP. Some cases you "might" get that, more often than not you are never going to see a high percentage off like is typically spouted by most folks on the forums.

Op needs to set a REALISTIC price goal that they are 100% satisfied that they can live with.

Sometimes that means getting some prices elsewhere and or walking away from a deal and let the dealer sweat.. OP most likely has shown their hand and acted desperate that they NEED to buy immediately, this puts the dealer in control instead of the buyer.. They smell desperation they will not be willing to negotiate.

Hence the reason to walk away.

As long as the buyer can negotiate to a out the door price (all costs) BELOW the MSRP they should feel good about the deal. It is where the funny business of getting a price then the dealer starts tacking on additional costs to the bottom line driving the out the door price above MSRP that is a problem.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. $1000 total profit? No way. They wouldn't be in business long at that rate. $1000 total salesman's commission? Quite possibly.

2. Doc fees. You WILL pay a doc fee. Forget what it's for, you will pay it. The dealer might back the numbers out of a total price, but you will still pay it. If a doc fee is waived for a single retail buyer, the dealer knows that a very distasteful class action law suit could be just one hungry attorney away!!

3. OP, how many available units exactly like the one you want are there within a reasonable radius of where you live? If the answer is very few, you are in much less of a negotiating position than if there are many. COVID-19 has brought buyers out of the woodwork, and dealers are in a position to maximize their profits. If you don't buy it today, somebody is likely to come along tomorrow and buy it for a little more than what you are willing to pay. A double-edged sword to be sure.


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

noteven wrote:


Oops I didn’t mean government sets MSRP...

Let me re-word my question correctly:

Displaying / publishing a MSRP is mandated by government isn’t it?


Prove it.
.


What is the “Monroney Act” ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > First barrage with the dealer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.