cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refrigerator door prop

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our new RV is great, but one draw back the fridge/freezer door has no catch to hold the door slightly ajar during storage. Any ideas on what to use. Can't use the magnet type, all plastic. Our storage parking spot is on a slight cant and the door swings open is not secured. Tried to contact Norcold, but no reply, to see if they could suggest something. It will be a while before we put it in storage, but don't want to wait till the last minute.
Thoughts, remedies, ideas, links, any help is appreciated.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
28 REPLIES 28

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
we throw a towel in each door.

This ^
We loop a dish towel over the bottom rack on the freezer door, plenty long enough to keep top & bottom doors open a bit.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
My Norcold has a little sliding tab just under the handle on the refrigerator and freezer. I wonder if yours does too. It looks like a pin or button just under the handle that slides out and engages a hole in the door frame. Once slid over the door will stay ajar and not open or close until you slide the tab back.

No got. Our previous RV was set up that way also, but not this one.
Found a tiny strip of metal around both the freezer and the fridge itself. Got some rare earth magnets, 1/4" dia, and some masonite scrapes for both the inside and outside of the doors,and fashioned a prop that should work. No holes, no marks and easily removable and replaceable.
Thanks for all the ideas.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My Norcold has a little sliding tab just under the handle on the refrigerator and freezer. I wonder if yours does too. It looks like a pin or button just under the handle that slides out and engages a hole in the door frame. Once slid over the door will stay ajar and not open or close until you slide the tab back.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made a plastic piece that is inserted between freezer and refer door with Velcro on end that holds both door open 1 inch and prevents doors from opening wider.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be opposed to leave the doors wide open as I read on another forum that someone did that for 3 months over the winter and the doors sagged and would not close tightly. Therefore I don't want even want to attempt it. Don't know the type of RV, fridge model or anything, just that it scared me as not to try this.
Might try the newspaper or charcoal ideas if my newest brainstorm turns out to be a brain fart.
Thanks for all the input.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the little plastic things to hold mine ajar.
As to leaving them fully open, at least in my trailer if the fridge door is open and then I put the slide out, I can have the door jammed against the slide. Did it once and it was a PITA to get it unjammed. Had to force the doors off. So now I make sure that blind is raised up to I can check the fridge doors before putting the slide out.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
place a dish towel between the door and body of the fridge. How will that keep the door from being open completely? I'm not sure I'm visualizing that correctly.
We place the towel over the top of the door and close it until snug.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, the OP must think there is a reading comprehension problem on the forum. LOL

He wants to keep the door ajar, i.e. slightly open, but it's parked on an angle and the door comes completely open. So far only one person has offered a possible solution: bungee cord. My vote is to put a chair or stool in front of the door to stop it from coming fully open. A towel put between the doors will keep the freezer door even with the fridge door.

And the OP hasn't returned to answer our question about why they can't be fully open.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
My 2019 Rockwood came with this fridge door clip things. At first, I didn't know what the heck they were!

No idea where you can get these... Like I said, they were just inside the fridge on my brand new Rockwood... 🙂 Love 'em!

Mitch

Amazon sells them, but they are shockingly expensive ($20 ea) for a silly piece of plastic. I was all set to put two small screw eyes (1 at the top, 1 at the bottom) in the woodwork around my fridge and attach a bungee to keep the open doors from banging around - and then I found those plastic door-locking pieces in a drawer of our Rockwood - yay!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always store part of a bag of charcoal in the fridge when storing camper.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I bought and used those plastic door holders one year and they compressed the door seal so much that the door would not stay shut the next season. Now I clean out the fridge, leave the door open till it is completely dry, then close it up. You can put crumbled up newspaper in it if you like, but it isn't necessary as long as it is completely dry.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
We use towels, but the OP wanted suggestions on how to keep the doors ajar instead of fully open. Towels work to keep them cracked but not sure how they would work to keep the doors from coming all the way open.

Two ways:

1. Make sure the trailer is slightly off level so the doors won't swing open by themselves.

2. Wedge both doors closed on the bath towel just enough so they stay closed --- that will sill allow air to get into both the refer sections.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
Our new RV is great, but one draw back the fridge/freezer door has no catch to hold the door slightly ajar during storage. Any ideas on what to use. Can't use the magnet type, all plastic. Our storage parking spot is on a slight cant and the door swings open is not secured. Tried to contact Norcold, but no reply, to see if they could suggest something. It will be a while before we put it in storage, but don't want to wait till the last minute.
Thoughts, remedies, ideas, links, any help is appreciated.

thanks

Drap a bath towel folded over several times lengthwise in the freezer and let it hang down between the refer door and the box and that will keep both doors slightly agar.

Cost $0.00:B

Lerry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
My 2019 Rockwood came with this fridge door clip things. At first, I didn't know what the heck they were!

But, since they were in the fridge when I found them, figured they were for it

Played around with them and figured out they fit this way.

So, here is how they work. The leave a gap in the door and so far as worked great.

You have a Dometic fridge, OP has a Norcold, those won't work. Norcold I am familiar with (N611 model) have a little slider at the door handles that holds the door about 3/8 inch open.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.