cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aftermarket Silverado motor mount recommendations?

donfla
Explorer
Explorer
The idle problem with my new to me 2014 1500 WT is a motor mount failure. The dealer wants $831.26 to replace them with the same OEM mount that failed. The breakdown is $254 parts and $577 labor and have read and watched video on the process and still on the fence about taking it on myself, have the tools but taking this on would be tough right now. The dealer has agreed to install the mounts I bring them without a warranty and that is understandable. Can anyone recommend solid aftermarket mounts that donโ€™t fail? Have a small shop close by I trust that can probably do better on labor too.
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donfla wrote:
The problem seems to be solved with the new mount installed. Not perfect but I'd rate 90% better, before it would dropout to the point it felt like it was going to stall but never actually did. It didn't throw any codes either.

Well, I'm glad it appears to be fixed. And thoroughly confused how a low/erratic idle could possibly be caused by the motor mount.
Seems more of a sensor/electrical/fuel system issue if those are the symptoms.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

donfla
Explorer
Explorer
Also, Iโ€™m new to using this shop and very pleased with them.

And the mechanic did confirm the new factory mount he installed is an updated version.

donfla
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Weird...
If you saw the motor "jump" when you did a little brake stand,it's broke. If you just saw it "flex" and no "clunk" then it's not broke.

That makes sense. I'm no expert by any means but it appeared to be flexing more than it should. The problem seems to be solved with the new mount installed. Not perfect but I'd rate 90% better, before it would dropout to the point it felt like it was going to stall but never actually did. It didn't throw any codes either. Before taking it in I did a thorough throttle body cleaning using Sea Foam and while it did blow out a good bit of smoke for a second under heavy load that didn't do anything to improve the idle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The question is, is the engine idling rough or is there a vibration being transferred to the chassis and nothing wrong with the engine.
A bad motor mount will not "affect" how the engine runs (unless 30+ years of being a gearhead are all for naught...in which case I'm very interested in this phenomenon).

Again, if you saw the engine "jump" as in seemingly unrestrained movement, not just "twist or flex" a bit, the motor mount is shot.
Keep meaning to look at the mounts in my 2016 Silverado as I'm sure they're the same or similar, but generally a front engine, north south transmission vehicle is a fairly straight forward replacement.

Motor mounts are generally bolted hard to the frame and engine with a "bonded" rubber isolation structure between the 2 sides of the mount. Additionally, there is generally a metal "stop" built in, that if the isolation structure breaks or comes loose form either side, the engine will move, but not alot before the stop or catch keeps it from twisting excessively.
If that isolation part is broke/gone/degraded, I could see engine vibration transferring to the chassis being a perceptible condition.

On the same note, I've driven vehicles in the past with broken motor mounts fir a while without issue, as long as I accelerated slow and didnt try to twist the engine out of the car.

donfla
Explorer
Explorer
That is the question I would like to understand. The shop called at 9am and can tell they did a lot of reading on it finding the same service advisory mentioning shimming the mounts to solve the rough idle problem. They are trying and now agree the driver side mount is the problem.

I just need this truck back, about to order a dumpster and 14โ€ gas walk behind concrete wet saw for a bathroom demo this weekend. We do some pretty large jobs and removing the slab inside a customerโ€™s house getting to play in the sand below is actually kind of fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
Can somebody explain how a bad mount will cause a drive-by-wire engine to idle rough?

It wonโ€™t.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can somebody explain how a bad mount will cause a drive-by-wire engine to idle rough?

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon Prime, do them yourself.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

donfla
Explorer
Explorer
And just to be clear, the dealer did not see the truck but the service advisor said on the phone the problem was common.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Weird...
If you saw the motor "jump" when you did a little brake stand,it's broke. If you just saw it "flex" and no "clunk" then it's not broke.

donfla
Explorer
Explorer
Now this has turned interesting and will share as I get to the bottom of it. Dropped the truck off at 8am this morning and the shop owner calls at 2 saying in his opinion along with 2 of his seasoned mechanics, the driver side mount is not bad or causing the rough idle problem. And yesterday at a different shop the owner Iโ€™ve used several times said the mount was bad doing the in gear test with him. Personally I believe the mount is bad with the amount of jump I see. As of right now I havenโ€™t heard back from the shop itโ€™s at and both of these places have been around a long time with great reviews. And price wise all 3 places including the dealer were within $75 of each other. It will be interesting to see who is right here?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
We used to run cables on them. No vibration noise like a turnbuckle.

LOL. My '58 J2 Olds was a nice car, and used cable with turn buckle to adjust length. My Chevys? Running open headers about 20% of the time? Or 1 that only had mufflers mounted 1 day a year? That little vibration was not a issue

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Solid race mounts.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62510?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ej5BRBhEiwAfHyh1L_vF4xBjl-dmE4cppweQ4qgWew_ay2cfjBUVQtGUuzMCvKoDC5cWRoCGSAQAvD_BwE

Could not make a clicky.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to run cables on them. No vibration noise like a turnbuckle.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds