cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEAR LUBE LEVEL QUESTION, 2016 CTD 2500

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be changing the gear lube soon in my diff and had a question about the fill level. There is a line on the diff that indicates the proper fill level. As I recall, the specification says it can be +/- 1/4" from the line. The line is a 1/4" from the bottom of the fill hole. Does this mean you can fill up to the hole till it runs out like in the olden days?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
67 REPLIES 67

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"So you’re a dealer advertising on the RV.net forums? Interesting."

NOPE!!! If the Mod thought I was they would have spanked me. Just putting this little PIZZING contest into perspective.

I try to stay out of the gutter but sometimes ya have to tell it like it is. I have plenty more if needed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
So says someone who wanted my advise and where to buy their gear lube. I offered to sell it to him at Dealer Cost and the emails started from there.

"I know you are big on the Amsoil brand, thinking of breaking down ,and going with the 75/110 gear lube for my rear axle. I am due to change it, and not seeing a terrible difference in price with it. Do you use one source over another to purchase Amsoil, or where the best place to get it. I am doing this on ONE condition you don't tell anyone :D. No just kidding, it seems like it would be good as any, considering it calls for full synthetic. Thanks"

My responding email

This is my cost. The shipping is on every order no matter big or small it seems to always be $11.99. Tax is based on my zip. So the total may very slightly.

If your interested you would need to figure a way to get it paid. I am assuming 4 quarts? No gallon sizes, it jumps to 5 gallon pail.

I figure if you want to post about it’s up to you.

Later,

Ron

"Hi Ron, This is an order I started on the Amsoil web site for 5 quarts of the Severe Gear 75-90 , I joined the club membership for 6 months for $10, which is included in the total, not sure why it didn’t show. It showed before I went to checkout shown below. The price per quart was 13.90. My price for the 75-110 was $14.35, but I decided I don’t need 75-110, towing 13K. If I was to buy just 4 quarts of 75-90 using the the same shipping tax ,plus the $10, it would be a total of 79.56,if it was 75-110 it would be 81.36, so a bit more then your cost by $8.10. For that its not worth it for you to have to mess with it . Actual price difference per quart is $.70 for the 75-110 . My shipping, and tax is helping a little on the total. Kinda offsetting a bit of the $10 membership cost.

Thanks for the offer, that was nice of you.

I’m thinking its 8.5 pints for the 11.5 axle listed on the Amsoil site, I see you mention 4 quarts ( 8 pints ) my manual is not giving the amount, so if its 4 quarts to fill it, then I got an extra quart for the next time ,no big deal. I noticed on a youtube video, that the 2500 had a fill line to go by, nothing on my 2014 3500 axle, so I am assuming fill to the check hole ???????. Thats what I have always done on my previous trucks, that or find out exactly what the amount is , it sounds like they can be overfilled ??????.

One other thing, on my window sticker I saved from my truck purchase ,it has on it a Anti spin rear axle, Is that a limited slip axle??? I sure don’t know. The reason I ask is whether I need that limited slip additive , its something I had to do in my previous truck .
Let me ask one other thing, I am a bit anal, thinking I want to replace the gasket, there is a website in Billings, Mt., that has a good price on them, and new bolts if wanted . Is this something you do ?? The new bolts I noticed they offer have the locktite on them. Anyway thanks for any info you can give me."

Anyway I could post more but I hope you all get the point, he is against everyDAMZ think I promote and it get's tiresome!!!

So you’re a dealer advertising on the RV.net forums? Interesting.

I’m thinking more the CEO :B

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
So says someone who wanted my advise and where to buy their gear lube. I offered to sell it to him at Dealer Cost and the emails started from there.

"I know you are big on the Amsoil brand, thinking of breaking down ,and going with the 75/110 gear lube for my rear axle. I am due to change it, and not seeing a terrible difference in price with it. Do you use one source over another to purchase Amsoil, or where the best place to get it. I am doing this on ONE condition you don't tell anyone :D. No just kidding, it seems like it would be good as any, considering it calls for full synthetic. Thanks"

My responding email

This is my cost. The shipping is on every order no matter big or small it seems to always be $11.99. Tax is based on my zip. So the total may very slightly.

If your interested you would need to figure a way to get it paid. I am assuming 4 quarts? No gallon sizes, it jumps to 5 gallon pail.

Later,

Ron

"Hi Ron, This is an order I started on the Amsoil web site for 5 quarts of the Severe Gear 75-90 , I joined the club membership for 6 months for $10, which is included in the total, not sure why it didn’t show. It showed before I went to checkout shown below. The price per quart was 13.90. My price for the 75-110 was $14.35, but I decided I don’t need 75-110, towing 13K. If I was to buy just 4 quarts of 75-90 using the the same shipping tax ,plus the $10, it would be a total of 79.56,if it was 75-110 it would be 81.36, so a bit more then your cost by $8.10. For that its not worth it for you to have to mess with it . Actual price difference per quart is $.70 for the 75-110 . My shipping, and tax is helping a little on the total. Kinda offsetting a bit of the $10 membership cost.

I’m thinking its 8.5 pints for the 11.5 axle listed on the Amsoil site, I see you mention 4 quarts ( 8 pints ) my manual is not giving the amount, so if its 4 quarts to fill it, then I got an extra quart for the next time ,no big deal. I noticed on a youtube video, that the 2500 had a fill line to go by, nothing on my 2014 3500 axle, so I am assuming fill to the check hole ???????. Thats what I have always done on my previous trucks, that or find out exactly what the amount is , it sounds like they can be overfilled ??????.

One other thing, on my window sticker I saved from my truck purchase ,it has on it a Anti spin rear axle, Is that a limited slip axle??? I sure don’t know. The reason I ask is whether I need that limited slip additive , its something I had to do in my previous truck .
Let me ask one other thing, I am a bit anal, thinking I want to replace the gasket, there is a website in Billings, Mt., that has a good price on them, and new bolts if wanted . Is this something you do ?? The new bolts I noticed they offer have the locktite on them. Anyway thanks for any info you can give me."

Anyway I could post more but I hope you all get the point, he is against everyDAMZ think I promote and it get's tiresome!!!

So you’re a dealer advertising on the RV.net forums? Interesting.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Honestly, you girls should all take this fight to bookFace or something...
Who cares, 12V thinks using AmSoil makes dollar bills fly out the exhaust of his truck and a few others of you think it's Wisconsin squirrel p!ss mixed with bacon grease or something....

Truth is, it's oil (or grease or whatever). It's good oil, maybe great. So are other brands. 7 pages later, this was about put oil in your diff until it spills out....or not.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Huh? What does the emails have to do with the opening and ending sentences?
Drunk posting or ??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

My responding email

Later,

Ron

I hope you copied and pasted , that would of been a lot of typing :B Please read my reply again , I agreed with you , don’t get so excited it’s just lubricant , and there is other quality products out there . :R

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

My responding email

Later,

Ron

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"The problem I have with Amsoil is most of there motor oil products are not API certified"

They charge insane $$$ for certification. They have certified testing to back up their claims.

Don't like it don't buy it is all I can say.

I think that is the best advice , just don't buy it. There are plenty of quality lubricants out there without spending the kind of money Amsoil charges .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
There are many specialty oil companies that don’t have refineries, but buy their base stock and additives and formulate different lubricants/products. That doesn’t make their products any less important.

Didn't say their products were any less important, but they don't make anything, basically as one said ,they stir up a pot of stuff made by someone else. Lots of other brands of oils out there that have went hundreds of thousands of miles, and didn't cost what Amsoil does.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The problem I have with Amsoil is most of there motor oil products are not API certified"

They charge insane $$$ for certification. They have certified testing to back up their claims.

Don't like it don't buy it is all I can say.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
There will always be problems reported no matter what product it is, there is always more to the story!

I have ran the recommended AMZ/OIL lube for many thousands of miles in my 98 2wd RAM with the 4500 no issues.

This is what AMZ/OIL recommend for the NV5600 Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30.

Did you run their slip lock friction modifier? Was it SevereGear?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:
Ford doesn’t approve the use of Amsoil in the 6.7L diesel, so there’s that. When I had my four Cummins Rams, Chrysler didn’t approve Amsoil either.

How about some written PROOF of these claims?????

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two failures with Amsoil and I won't ever use it again. Their manual synchro lube would only go 6k miles in my nv56oo before shifting problems and their so-wonderful 2k xxx, whatever it was, 75w90 came back with a BAD uoa in my D80 at 12300 miles and the r&p was already singing. I won't go for strike three! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geo*Boy wrote:
There are many specialty oil companies that don’t have refineries, but buy their base stock and additives and formulate different lubricants/products. That doesn’t make their products any less important.

ExxonMobil and Chevron are two manufactures that sell their base stocks. Infinium, Lubrizol, and Oronite produce and sell additives to be blended with the base stock.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"