Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Campsite Squatters
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Campsite Squatters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotjag1 wrote:

A few of the campgrounds we frequent have a rule that the site must be physically occupied each night. A camp host verifies this each night or early morning. A tow vehicle, or in the case of a tent, a car must be at the site.
I suppose a trailer and tow vehicle could occupy the site and not have anyone actually there. The camp host wouldn't be able to determine that, although it would look pretty odd that there is no activity at the site all day or evening.

Campgrounds yes, but FS land as in dispersed or BLM land, same, have different rules.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tuna fisher wrote:

Seen it for years, mostly in the higher elevations of Utah.Asked rangers and they ho hum about it.When you see grass growing around the wheels it's obivious the rig hasen't been moved in months. Pisses me of but there's nothing I can do about it. A lot are for hunting camps.Some nice rigs just sitting. They usually are pulled out before the snows.
And there lies the problem, those that are paid to enforce the rules, are not willing to do so.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Who said the people doing this are rich?

I know if I had a cheap hunter special camper, I'd be a lot more comfortable leaving it out in the middle of no-where unattended as opposed to a $80k 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles that could easily be stripped during the week.

I did not say "rich", but do the arithmetic. Most of my working life, I could swing a couple of nights rent per month, in a state park, and feel I got my money's worth. But if I had to pay for 4 nights and could only use 2, that doubles the cost. Maybe you have the disposable income to think it's worth it, but many do not.

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

tuna fisher wrote:

Seen it for years, mostly in the higher elevations of Utah.Asked rangers and they ho hum about it.When you see grass growing around the wheels it's obivious the rig hasen't been moved in months. Pisses me of but there's nothing I can do about it. A lot are for hunting camps.Some nice rigs just sitting. They usually are pulled out before the snows.
And there lies the problem, those that are paid to enforce the rules, are not willing to do so.

They are indeed paid to enforce the rules but probably know from previous experience that the citation they issue will not result in any legal action. The rangers are just like every other law enforcement officer in that they have to choose their battles.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of people live in campers now. They commute to work. In summer they like to live someplace cooler and more beautiful so they head to the mountains.

Homeless people are everywhere in western big cities. At least Rvers have a home.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Unless they are violating the time requirement, I don’t see the issue.

Being rude is not against the law either, and yet most people have a problem with that.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Who said the people doing this are rich?

I know if I had a cheap hunter special camper, I'd be a lot more comfortable leaving it out in the middle of no-where unattended as opposed to a $80k 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles that could easily be stripped during the week.

I did not say "rich", but do the arithmetic. Most of my working life, I could swing a couple of nights rent per month, in a state park, and feel I got my money's worth. But if I had to pay for 4 nights and could only use 2, that doubles the cost. Maybe you have the disposable income to think it's worth it, but many do not.
The average Forest Service campsite is less than $20.00. Half that amount if the camper has a Senior Pass. With the average household income in the US over $60,000 per year, paying for a few extra days to insure they have a space for the weekend isn't going to send most people to the poorhouse.
No matter what your income, there are likely hobbies and activities that you cannot afford. That is, and always will be, a fact of life. Sitting around bemoaning that fact won't make it go away. Instead, spend that time being productive and it might just allow you to earn the extra money you need to reserve those extra nights.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my mind, you'd have to be nuts to leave your camper out in the woods for extended periods/days without being there. Hell, I don't like leaving mine in a regular paid campsite for more then a couple hours.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some camp grounds have people that have been displaced by fires living there permanently. It is a fact of modern life. Have some compassion for people that live in campgrounds.

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

This, IMHO, is not right, but better than the scams used to game the res systems. At least the CG is getting the money.
It also is evidence to me that the well off are more likely to rip people off than poor.

Are you trying to be argumentative with this statement? Jealousy perhaps? Retired Occupy Wallstreeter? And how exactly is this evidence to support your position? You hardly have to be well off to afford a few extra nights at this type of CG. Find a new boogeyman. Sheesh.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Campsite Squatters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.