cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 20 inch wheels vs 18 inch

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2018 F150 got flooded in the hurricane recently. Looking for a new 2020.

We are finding quite a few F150's on the lot have 20" " chrome like pvd wheels, a 1295.00 option. I know the dealers are getting them that way for more $$.

Question is has anyone got first hand experience with these wheels vs the 18" standard wheels?

I know I can special order but don't really have time for that. Apparently the order process is delayed more than usual due to Covid. 2021 deliveries are late. Hardly any on the lots yet. Also if I were to special order I would get the HDPP package.

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover, you should do a little reading and arithmetic regarding the various capabilities of different model light duty trucks and then youโ€™ll see why LT tires donโ€™t need to be spec on 1/2 tons for the most part....
That said I also believe that LR D or E tires are a nice match for 1/2 tons that see heavy use or abuse to tires. Itโ€™s a good kind of overkill in some situations. Not the least of which is tire life if one is counting cost benefit ratio.
I donโ€™t believe in the poor ride of a E tire on a 1/2 ton thing. Aired up or down to the right psi for the load negates that claim. Unless youโ€™re really wanting your 400hp trailer towing 1/2 ton to ride like a โ€˜75 Buick. In which case, you should also remove the shocks from your F150 and throw them in the garbage for the full effect!

All this said, Iโ€™ve towed and hauled a lot of โ€œstuffโ€ with half tons on OE P tires, well over all of the book โ€œratingsโ€ and they work. They even work better when you give an a boost in pressure to 55-60psi!! Oh the horrors...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Groover wrote:
snip...
I would like to see the reasoning on why Ford likes LT tires on Super Duty trucks but not F150 other than ride quality.

Cost...LT's cost more than same size passenger (P) tire

And many place ride quality higher than most anything else on their have to have list

X2...and Fords F150HDPP with its 4800 rawr comes OEM with LT tires per FMVSS requirements for a tire with a minimum 2400 + lb load requirements.
I wouldn't buy a 1/2 ton with LT E tires on it and from experience of having used LT E on 1/2 ton trucks I don't want or need or will I buy them pulling my 10k car hauler with 9460 lbs on the trailers axles.
P tires today use 44-51 psi for max pressures.
I have a set of LT C at 50 psi off road tires for the wifes 1500 4wd chevy for off road/pasture/muddy work sites. But for towing a 10k trailer the OEM P size at 44 psi work better towing.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
snip...
I would like to see the reasoning on why Ford likes LT tires on Super Duty trucks but not F150 other than ride quality.

Cost...LT's cost more than same size passenger (P) tire

And many place ride quality higher than most anything else on their have to have list
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ ???

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Doesn't seem like a Big mystery to me. 20" wheels mean you can pull more, doesn't mean you can carry more. Like I said, I'll run out of payload long before I hit max trailer."

You can get 17" tires on an F250 that are rated to both pull and haul more. As I said earlier, for towing I would rather have 18" LT tires than 20" P series. I would like to see the reasoning on why Ford likes LT tires on Super Duty trucks but not F150 other than ride quality.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Fords "max tow" option for the F150 doesn't help the truck carry more weight.

Available on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranchยฎ, and Platinum models.

Includes:
โ€ข 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
โ€ข 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
โ€ข 36 Gallon fuel tank
โ€ข Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
โ€ข Engine oil cooler
โ€ข Class IV trailer hitch receiver
โ€ข Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
โ€ข Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
โ€ข Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
โ€ข Upgraded front stabilizer bar
โ€ข Upgraded rear bumper

Requires 3.5L EcoBoostยฎ engine.
Does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately.
Max GCWR/Max Tow achieved on SuperCrewยฎ when equipped with 20-inch Wheels. This configuration will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear, and upgraded stabilizer bar.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#1. 7850 gvwr...4800 rawr....approx 2500 lb in the bed payloads.

#2. 7600 gvwr...4550 rawr... approx 2200 lb in the bed payloads

#3. 7050 gvwr...4050 rawr... approx 1800 lb in the bed payloads

#4. 6800 gvwr...3800 rawr...approx 1500 lb in the bed payloads.
All payloads are a estimate using rawr capacities and the trucks empty rear axle weights.
"MAX TOW" option can be had on each of the above gvwr/rawr packages and like I said it doesn't help the truck carry more weight.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, sorry to hear you're going through a rough stretch.
The answer to your question is either wheel option is 100% fine and neither will afford you any measurable advantages or disadvantages in your application.
Despite what the geezernet quorum like to "think."

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Groover wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Groover wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
I would special order and get the HDPP package. Actually, that's what I did do, to me, its worth the wait. I rented a cheap car while I waited. Best decision I ever made, got exactly what I wanted and nothing I didn't need.
P.S. The HDPP package doesn't include with 20" wheels.

For some reason the most towing that you get with HDPP crew cab 4WD is 11,300lbs while a similar truck without HDPP and 20" tires is rated for 12,700lbs. Just in case that matters to you.

That is really odd to me for a variety of reasons.
I don't know didn't look that up. You get more payload with the HDPP. Basically because you get a beefier frame. I'm more concerned about payload. I'll never get to max trailer before I run out of payload.

I could see the two trucks have the same GCWR if they are drivetrain limited but the max GCWR is 18,600lbs without HDPP and drops to 17,100lbs with HDPP. What is in the HDPP that leads Ford to reduce GCWR? That is the real mystery to me.
Doesn't seem like a Big mystery to me. 20" wheels mean you can pull more, doesn't mean you can carry more. Like I said, I'll run out of payload long before I hit max trailer.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Groover wrote:
Can you tell us what the other upgrades are? I haven't seem anything about them.

It actually seems to generate a lot of confusion. If you look on the towing guides it will state that the max tow capacity is only possible with 20" wheels, but it does not say any more than that. This leads many to believe it is based solely on the smaller sidewall leading to less flex. This was my impression as well, and my clueless dealer told me no different when I purchased.

It is not until you dig into the order guide that you see a bit more. There is a small note under the "Max Trailer Tow Package" line that says, Note: Max GCWR/Max Tow only achieved on SuperCrewยฎ equipped with 20โ€ Wheels. These trucks will also
come equipped with max springs, steering gear and upgraded stabilizer bar for this configuration.

While I don't need the max tow rating, and have no issues with power, these adds would have been a nice boon to truck stability had I done enough homework to understand before buying. They had the truck I wanted with both the 20's and the 18's. I didn't want to spend a thousand bucks on aesthetics, so I didn't. If I knew then...

That is interesting. Are the max springs as sturdy as what comes with HDPP or is that a different category? Why do you need stronger steering when the directions for setting up a weight distributing hitch tell you to unload the front end? Even a 5th wheel would add minimal weight to the front. Why would the weight applied to a trailer hitch (typically below the tailgate) require a beefed stabilizer bar? When I added air bags to my truck to help managed tongue weight I first made the airbags independent but didn't like the ride from the reduced articulation so I re-plumbed the bags to be on the same channel and allow articulation.

The last two sound like they would be useful on a slide-in camper but not for trailer towing. I could really see a use for LT tires though. And they are not available from the factory in 20" for the F150.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
Groover wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
I would special order and get the HDPP package. Actually, that's what I did do, to me, its worth the wait. I rented a cheap car while I waited. Best decision I ever made, got exactly what I wanted and nothing I didn't need.

For some reason the most towing that you get with HDPP crew cab 4WD is 11,300lbs while a similar truck without HDPP and 20" tires is rated for 12,700lbs. Just in case that matters to you.

I don't know didn't look that up. You get more payload with the HDPP. Basically because you get a beefier frame. I'm more concerned about payload. I'll never get to max trailer before I run out of payload.

I could see the two trucks have the same GCWR if they are drivetrain limited but the max GCWR is 18,600lbs without HDPP and drops to 17,100lbs with HDPP. What is in the HDPP that leads Ford to reduce GCWR? That is the real mystery to me.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
IdaD wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
A 20โ€ tire will generally have a higher load rating than the same brand/style 18โ€ tire apparently due to shorter sidewalls. You can find the weight rating differences on manufacturerโ€™s web site specs charts.

Does that even matter on a half ton, though? The 18" tires on my truck are rated for 3640 lbs each, which is way beyond what you'd need for any half ton.

Looking at the Ford truck specs those trucks that come with the 20โ€ wheels also have higher payload ratings than those with 18โ€ wheels. Just depends on how much weight you want to carry. Donโ€™t know about the other brands.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
They tried to put 20 inch wheels on my F350 when I ordered it. First I did not like the low profile sidewalls. It's hard to believe they with deal with rough roads as well as the 18 inch.

And the deciding factor was when I checked the price of replacement tires. There were few available types and they were MUCH pricier. That may have changed in the intervening time.

BTW it took a month to get our ordered truck, when we ordered it the dealer told us 6 to 8 weeks. I got the idea that the dealers do not want to sell you an ordered vehicle, they want to get one off they lot which they are paying interest changes on. I tried to get competing prices on our truck from different dealers and never got a reply. But when the truck came in the salesman told me they had calls from 6 different dealers in 3 states trying to get it sent to them.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Can you tell us what the other upgrades are? I haven't seem anything about them.

It actually seems to generate a lot of confusion. If you look on the towing guides it will state that the max tow capacity is only possible with 20" wheels, but it does not say any more than that. This leads many to believe it is based solely on the smaller sidewall leading to less flex. This was my impression as well, and my clueless dealer told me no different when I purchased.

It is not until you dig into the order guide that you see a bit more. There is a small note under the "Max Trailer Tow Package" line that says, Note: Max GCWR/Max Tow only achieved on SuperCrewยฎ equipped with 20โ€ Wheels. These trucks will also
come equipped with max springs, steering gear and upgraded stabilizer bar for this configuration.

While I don't need the max tow rating, and have no issues with power, these adds would have been a nice boon to truck stability had I done enough homework to understand before buying. They had the truck I wanted with both the 20's and the 18's. I didn't want to spend a thousand bucks on aesthetics, so I didn't. If I knew then...

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Groover wrote:
nickthehunter wrote: