Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 88 Ford 460 keeps dying
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 88 Ford 460 keeps dying

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an old Ford that has similar symptoms ... loose wire in ignition system. Everyone thought it was vapor lock etc .... real PIA to track down.

Kevin

That1skater

Yuba city

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the reply guys!
I'll see about a new coil and will go through the rubber lines to see if any are getting too old,
I'll see if I can post a picture of the tank, all of my fuel lines from the tank come out the front(facing the back of the trans) the manual I have only shows a external pump as well.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a pump in the fuel tank, it will have an electrical wire going to it. Do not confuse your fuel gauge sensor wire with the electrical for the in-tank fuel pump.

11178adm

nw mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check the suction tube in the tank for a sock type screen on the end of the suction tube. with the age of the unit it could be plugged with rust and dirt and at some point in its life could have had some gas gone bade from sitting a long time

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tank venting system failing not letting tank breathe. ???
When it quits open gas cap and listen for vacuum.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After it warms up will it run well at high speeds for say 30 mins or does it immediately bog down when you press the gas pedal and never gets to hiway speeds? does it backfire through the carb or exhaust?

That1skater

Yuba city

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright guys heres a update:
so there was quarter inch fuel line from the steel line to carb so i replaced that with the factory 3/8ths line, went though the rest of the rubber sections to search for any old lines that may needed to be replaced as well as any other that may have been to pliable.

I also found that the coil that was on the block had so weird oily substance all over, may have been from the inside of the coil because there isnt any signs of oil leaks around its vicinity. also note that someone had replaced the original coil connection and coil with a Accel super stock coil and its typical terminal connections.
so i replaced the connection and coil with its OEM parts(new),

i started it up and noticed it didnt take nearly as long to start on a cold start like it did previously so thats great lol, after a good while of running( i forgot to time it but will on the next go around) i noticed it went from running between 160F-170F to a cooler temp of 140F-145F.
Can a bad coil really mess with temperature like that?

Also no loud back firing this time while stepping on the gas; as well as it didnt die on me but after i rebuilt the carb i had it idling for almost a hour the day before my test drive which when i attempted to drive it bogged then died as soon as i put it in gear to drive away.

over all it does sound better and run better but i noticed it still has that faint bogging sound when i rev it, im not entirely sure if thats because of it being a big ol V8 or if it is still bogging. i havent test drove it yet due to the temperature of the day ( i live in the valley of CA) so idk if it will mess with its over all performance.

Thanks again guys for all the info so far i really appreciate it!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes sounds like an ignition issue. Best to be back to OEM equipment. Encouraging to hear the improvement.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you put a new coil in and it still bogs down, just check your wires at night and see if they are arcing to ground, it the wires are bad you will see arcing from the ign wires to ground, if you don't see any arcing I would look at fuel delivery. Try spraying carb cleaner in the carb while you are reving it up and if it revs up and does not bog down I would look at your fuel pump. I would think your vehicle came with a fuel pump in the tank. Someone may have installed an external fuel pump also. There is a certain flow rate for each engine that needs to be met so engine can run at WOT. Pressure may be fine but if the flow rate is not there the engine will bog down.

That1skater

Yuba city

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks guys, ill check for arching tonight, and i believe my fuel pump psi output is 4-6 and 72 gph(free flow) what does the 460 call for?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 88 Ford 460 keeps dying
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.