Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Infinite" Battery?

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
A battery that never needs charging?

I hope I live to see this technology go mainstream.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
17 REPLIES 17

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freep wrote:
Bert the Welder wrote:
But if you squish the graphite into a diamond, how do you keep the go-juice from squeezing out? Handling or Nuke waste and cheaper are two words I don't want to see in a sentence.

The "go juice" is two additional neutrons per atom. Changing graphite to diamond does not alter the atoms, just the arraignment.

Perhaps glow-in-the-dark diamond rings could be a side business....
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Bert the Welder wrote:
But if you squish the graphite into a diamond, how do you keep the go-juice from squeezing out? Handling or Nuke waste and cheaper are two words I don't want to see in a sentence.

The "go juice" is two additional neutrons per atom. Changing graphite to diamond does not alter the atoms, just the arraignment.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of similar tech has been 2 to 10 years away for several decades.
I hope it works and turns out as good as claimed.
I speculate 10+ years before availability at the retail level.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Over many decades the promise of a "super" battery has come and never seen the light of day. Do I believe this battery could work in a manner yes. The concept isn't new and been used in varies satellite and deep space probes.See link for story...

Nuclear power satellites
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might be safe or might not. Reminds me of people using early cellphones all of the time. I donโ€™t know about you, but it seems several of the people I know who were on their phones continuously developed unexplained otherwise brain cancer. Might not be related.

Either way, I think it will be years before the techology will be on the market. Years more before it is mainstream.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Ok Elon. Put a big one in the Cybertruck and we are good to go. ๐Ÿ™‚

The Cybertruck needs SOMETHING. Still the most hideous (and scary) thing I've seen in a long, long time.

Heh heh. :). I hear ya. And yet I want one. Go figure. :). My wife has a reservation for one. Then maybe sheโ€™ll give me her model 3. ๐Ÿ™‚ She is pretty far down the list though. Something like 300,000 ish ahead of her. It will be a few year.s ๐Ÿ™‚

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

The Cybertruck needs SOMETHING. Still the most hideous (and scary) thing I've seen in a long, long time.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Radiation from a single cell, or a handful might be safe. What's it look like when multiplied by thousands like a Tesla uses?

It is neat they've created a material to capture electrons directly, rather than the old nuclear batteries that relied on capturing photons.

This battery makes sense for long term implants like a pacemaker, defibrillator, maybe future stuff like a cybernetic eyes ears, etc.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
DWeikert wrote:

There's carbon 14 already in your body and every bite of food you eat. It's produced naturally in Earths atmosphere. Ever hear of Carbon dating? When an organism dies it stops consuming C14 and as the C14 in its body decays the ratio of regular carbon (Carbon 12) to C14 changes. By looking at that ratio they can determine when the organism died. Or more specifically, when it stopped eating.

Lick your finger and put out a match...

Now try licking your finger and put out a campfire.

In nature, they are found at a rate of about 1 part per Trillion. Nuclear waste is several orders of magnitude higher.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, ****, we are kinda living in the lead up world to that of the fallout video game franchise, someone just created a real-world equivalent to a "fusion core" from the game :p.

Now, all we need is power armor ๐Ÿ˜› and the world to adopt a retrofuturistic fashion style :p.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
RickW wrote:
Hmmm,

Before I retrieve my checkbook, tell me how it performs in satellites and spacecraft, an obvious first use. Also, what happens to the radioactive parts when a 12 year old takes a hammer to the thing?

Don't get me wrong, I love the story, but it is short on tangibles.

The only satellites and spacecraft that would need them are the ones sent to the outer solar system or the surface of a planet where solar is less reliable.

There's carbon 14 already in your body and every bite of food you eat. It's produced naturally in Earths atmosphere. Ever hear of Carbon dating? When an organism dies it stops consuming C14 and as the C14 in its body decays the ratio of regular carbon (Carbon 12) to C14 changes. By looking at that ratio they can determine when the organism died. Or more specifically, when it stopped eating.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm,

Before I retrieve my checkbook, tell me how it performs in satellites and spacecraft, an obvious first use. Also, what happens to the radioactive parts when a 12 year old takes a hammer to the thing?

Don't get me wrong, I love the story, but it is short on tangibles.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB