Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to store truck tailgate when off truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How to store truck tailgate when off truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Bradymydog

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dtorlina wrote:

Has anybody made / seen a good way to store your truck tailgate when it’s off the truck? Thinking of making some form of a “dolly” with 2 cradles..... one for the tailgate to be stored vertically, second cradle for our fold-up hardshell bed cover. Tired of them laying around the garage when off the truck because of the camper. Any thoughts are appreciated

That is what I did. I made a dolly, with a 24" x 30" platform to which I screwed some 2x6" cross ways, and then made triangles of plywood to from an upright 24" all from scrap. The tailgate and fold up cover are stored at and angle. I then protect the tailgate with a blanket and pice of foam board. When installing/removing the tailgate (by myself), I place the cart 90 degrees to the tailgate and simply lift/lower from/to the cartWorks. Worked like a charm. PM me and I can send pictures.

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built basically the same as gvgeode , mine is vertical, and lined with carpet. The frame work surrounds the tail gate and protects it. The tail gate is in excellent condition, just trying to keep it that way. I see gvgeode has his turn buckles stored with his tailgate, my turnbuckles, TL tie down pieces and all the clips are stored near the tailgate hanging on the wall, everything in its place.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine stands on its end on a 1"X 4", to save the paint, in the garage next to the truck. I installed two eye bolts at the top with a cord across the top . Keeps my rowdy great grand sons from knocking it over on one of them.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have open stud walls in my garage space, which are wider than 16" apart (They're partitions, not structural walls), so I just drove a couple eyelets into the inside edges of the frame and run a short bungee cord across in front of the tailgate.

Keeps it tucked out of the way. [emoticon]

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Tizi

Normandy Park, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cover mine with a moving blanket and lean it against the wall inside my garage.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewizard wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

I put down an old piece of carpeting and propped the tailgate against the wall of my garage. Currently I store the tailgate against an interior wall but I have also stored it outside propped against the exterior wall. The tailgate survives just fine when outside since that was the intended use.

X2. Pretty straightforward.

X3. Yep. My carpet is against the wall and covers the floor where the tailgate sets. I also added a strap on the wall to hold the tailgate up.

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

gvgeode

Grass Valley, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

northshore wrote:

I built basically the same as gvgeode , mine is vertical, and lined with carpet. The frame work surrounds the tail gate and protects it. The tail gate is in excellent condition, just trying to keep it that way. I see gvgeode has his turn buckles stored with his tailgate, my turnbuckles, TL tie down pieces and all the clips are stored near the tailgate hanging on the wall, everything in its place.

Since those photos were taken a few years back I have followed northshore's path and hung my turnbuckles and tie downs and the rest on the wall next to the tailgate. I wonder if it was a post by northshore awhile back that inspired me to do that? What a great forum to share ideas, I've learned so much from this. Thanks to you all.

2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How to store truck tailgate when off truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.