cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will honda 2000 start a 15k BTU air conditioner?

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
I need a new a/c.
All the tech can get is a 15k BTU unit.
I currently have a 13.5k BTU unit.

Will the eu2000i start a 15k unit?
What if I install the EasyStart?
45 REPLIES 45

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
jjrbus wrote:

Running a RV AC with a small generator has the most misinformation of any RV topic on the net.
I'll agree that it's on the short list, but not necessarily at the top. The "RV hot skin" issue gives it pretty tough competition for the #1 spot. And GFCI issues are pretty strong contenders, too.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Good info, but I already have the EU2000 so I dont really see myself upgrading to the EU2200 and also considering we dont boondock much it might be an expensive lesson to install the easy start only to find out it wont run the AC. I guess it all depends on a lot of factors wether it would run the ac smoothly or not

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:

Kind of weird that some can run a 15k off of a eu2000i and some not.

Running a RV AC with a small generator has the most misinformation of any RV topic on the net. The confused me but good, cost me some grief and money.

One person insisting he ran his roof air all the time with a 2000 with no issues. Turns out he had a no longer available Coleman mini that was 8000 btu!

Know how some people get 13 mpg out of a vehicle that no one else can get 10 mpg out of, I suspect it is the same with AC!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the converter off with the fridge and water heater on propane? If so you have a better maybe.
2000 watts is almost 17 amps.
There are 13.5K ac units everywhere, do a search.
Puma 30RKSS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:

not really weird. a lot depends on the AC, temperature, and density altitude. AC inrush and running current can vary enough to overload a honda 2000 or be just fine. And then there is the outside temperature which affects AC running current and density altitude which takes into account temperature and RH and affects the engine output and hence generator max current output for the honda 2000. High temp and high RH at sea level can have the same effect as running at a lower temp and lower RH at 3,000 ft or higher.

And thus a 2000VA generator bounces between "almost adequate" and "barely adequate" depending on the above variables.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen or at least remember in this thread if at high elevation did you change the jet?

12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
austinjenna wrote:
install a microair easy start and you'll be fine on the smaller generator

Thats what I am thinking of doing to run my 15k from my Eu2000

Hmmm, a Coleman 15k unit shows 1520 watt draw standard and 2025 watts desert. These are ideal condition #'s. I would think borderline for the 2000?

That's why some here recommend the 2200.

altitude is the other issue with a 2000. the 2200 has a little extra omph but a LOT extra displacement. IIRC 125cc vs 100 or less on the 2000. My experience and my brothers is that the 2000 is fine with our 13.5KBTU AC (coleman and dometic) up to about 3000 ft. above that and it will eventually overload. Meanwhile the 2200 will run at less than full throttle all day long at 7,000 ft with about 300VA to spare. And that is without rejetting for altitude. So, honda did two things right. (1) a little extra output (10%) and (2) A noticeably bigger engine (25%). and I suspect (2) is the big saviour at high altitude.

Our 2000 went to our son and I and my brother picked up 2200's. I alsos have a 2000 companion, but that has been unecessary since we got the 2200 and the easy start.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
philh wrote:
Seon wrote:
Aren't the easy start, soft start and hard start all functions the same on the start-up?

Microair easystart electronically spins up the compressor at a slower rate. I believe the hard start is a big capacitor that may or may not work.

exactly. night and day difference. with my coleman and the microair easy start PEAK inrush current to start the coleman is less than 20A for less than 2 seconds. honda 2000 in eco mode will start the AC easily with a nice smooth ramp up in generator rpm. For reference w/o the easy start I measured >50A inrush current needed to start the coleman even with a hard start cap installed. Very close to the spec'd LRA for the coleman.

The easy start has a "learn" mode where you start the AC unit something like 6 times from a "stiff" source, e.g. your house shore power. First start inrush will be near LRA, each start lowers the peak current till about the 5th or so start when it levels out at a final value, around 20A. Once you are done with the "learn" mode, your all set to start using a generator to start the AC from a generator or shore power.

Good to know about the "learn" mode. Thanks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
austinjenna wrote:

Hmmm, a Coleman 15k unit shows 1520 watt draw standard and 2025 watts desert. These are ideal condition #'s. I would think borderline for the 2000?

That's why some here recommend the 2200.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Seon wrote:
Aren't the easy start, soft start and hard start all functions the same on the start-up?

Microair easystart electronically spins up the compressor at a slower rate. I believe the hard start is a big capacitor that may or may not work.

exactly. night and day difference. with my coleman and the microair easy start PEAK inrush current to start the coleman is less than 20A for less than 2 seconds. honda 2000 in eco mode will start the AC easily with a nice smooth ramp up in generator rpm. For reference w/o the easy start I measured >50A inrush current needed to start the coleman even with a hard start cap installed. Very close to the spec'd LRA for the coleman.

The easy start has a "learn" mode where you start the AC unit something like 6 times from a "stiff" source, e.g. your house shore power. First start inrush will be near LRA, each start lowers the peak current till about the 5th or so start when it levels out at a final value, around 20A. Once you are done with the "learn" mode, your all set to start using a generator to start the AC from a generator or shore power.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seon wrote:

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Easy start will help.
There are "slow start" systems out there that will all but eliminate the start-up surge that causes the gen to fail to start it, but these are expensive too.

This is the worst time to try to replace AC, if u can wait a few weeks it may be cool enough that you can go without AC.

ACs are not available bc of china. There might be just one little part that comes from china, but without it manufacturers cannot complete the AC build. Camper sales lots are empty because manufacturers of campers do not have AC units to put on new campers so are not shipping any campers out.

If you can get a 9200btu unit then all your power surge generator woes go away completly. I have one and had it on two campers and it cooled very well. I kept it bc it works with a small generator.

I would suggest to look on craigslist or other ads for a used AC unit. There may not be any now due to the shortage though.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've been considering the purchase of an Easy Start. Discussed it already with our RV serviceman who will install it for us. Seems after reading feedback here that installing it would be first, try it with our Honda eu2000, then if that doesn't work, as noted here by some, then invest in the Honda eu2200. Some may say to just buy an extra generator to pigtail, but it would be more cost efficient to purchase the Easy Start along with installation and the new generator, plus would be much easier and lighter to carry along one generator. We have the option as well to install the Easy Start ourselves. There's a video out there of an installation, step by step, plus the guy who made the video said Easy Start support is super.