cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Cable Corrosion

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
My hot lead to my 6v batteries (1 of 4) has battery corrosion on the wire just before the hook up clamp. This is the primary positive cable that supports the 4 Duracell GC2 Golf Cart Batteries. Any thoughts as to why this happened?

I have the system that replaces the battery cell caps so I can fill my batteries by pumping water into the batteries, anyone remember the name of that system? I need to replace the pump that transfers the water from the container through one of the hoses . This has been installed since 2005 and I have never had any corrosion on my batteries or the cables before now.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fluffy white stuff is generally lead-sulfate or copper-sulfate.
The sulfate is from the sulfuric acid combining with the metal.
Just a small drop is all it takes. The crimps do not look sealed.
The sulfate is water soluble and the free ions neutralized with baking soda.
Possible the issue has been lurking within the strands for some time and has just recently pushed out.
Yes it does seem odd just to be back in the wire. Usually if the terminal has lost the seal to the case the terminal is first to go. Otherwise I assume the last service somehow got just a touch of acid on that point.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
I've had the MH plugged into 50amp at my house since mid Dec. Do you think this might be why I have corrosion on the main positive cable, but not on the battery terminal?

Nope. The main reason is that they're made out of different materials: the conductor in the cable is copper, while the battery terminal is lead, with probably stainless steel threaded bits if it has any.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had the MH plugged into 50amp at my house since mid Dec. Do you think this might be why I have corrosion on the main positive cable, but not on the battery terminal?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, that's it.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
I have the system that replaces the battery cell caps so I can fill my batteries by pumping water into the batteries, anyone remember the name of that system? I need to replace the pump that transfers the water from the container through one of the hoses .

Flow-Rite Pro-Fill system?

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you have enough slack I would be inclined to cut the end off and crimp on a new closed end lug then seal it with heat shrink.

https://www.genuinedealz.com/collections/heavy-wall-lugs/stud-size_5-16-in

Easy route might be to just make a small cup of backing soda and water solution and let it soak. Check it again in the spring.

I have had good luck with Permatex spray terminal cleaner. Also get the terminal protectant for once you have it cleaned up. PepBoys or similar should have this.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you think about me cutting off the corroded part of the cable and reattaching it to the clamp?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Simple. Some acid got in the connection.
You can clean it up or just replace it. Use heat shrink to seal the insulation to the lug.

Otherwise a picture might help.
http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

Click For Full-Size Image.

See how the corrosion is actually on the battery cable and not the terminal. This cable looks like it is the main one coming to the batteries. Should I try to clean it and then put some vaseline on it or replace it. Not sure where it is connected on the other end.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple. Some acid got in the connection.
You can clean it up or just replace it. Use heat shrink to seal the insulation to the lug.

Otherwise a picture might help.
http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
If your charge algorithm is correct and the batteries are not overfilled you will not have corrosion problems.

My 50+ years under the hood of cars disagrees with you.

Ah, but we are talking RVs not cars. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I said a proper charging algorithm.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
If your charge algorithm is correct and the batteries are not overfilled you will not have corrosion problems.

My 50+ years under the hood of cars disagrees with you.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If your charge algorithm is correct and the batteries are not overfilled you will not have corrosion problems. Could it be that your auto filler has failed and overfilled a cell or two?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
My hot lead to my 6v batteries (1 of 4) has battery corrosion on the wire just before the hook up clamp. This is the primary positive cable that supports the 4 Duracell GC2 Golf Cart Batteries. Any thoughts as to why this happened?

Any lead acid battery, but especially flooded lead acid out gas (produce bubbles, boil) as they are charged/discharged even at very low rates. That out gas a small amount of sulfuric acid (gas). This is reacting to any exposed copper.

Clean with backing soda and water. Clean the entire base case.

There are a couple of ways you can prevent this from happening.

1) Use "tinned" (marine) battery cable wire. The individual copper strands are coated in a material that will not react with the sulfuric acid (gas).
2) Apply dual wall (marine) heat shrink while the cable is being assembled.
3) If you missed step 1) or 2) put a good "gob" of grease (Vaseline) on the clamp and covering any exposed copper. You will have to repeat this every time you wash the outside of the battery.