Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Adding XM antenna to avoid camper overhang
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Adding XM antenna to avoid camper overhang

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fishbreath

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought that I would share an easy way to add an XM/Sirius radio antenna to a 2019 GMC 3500 that is not blocked by an overhanging cab over camper.

For my application I need two parts. 1 XM Satellite Radio Antenna and 1 FAKRA adapter for SMB antennas

The first step was to remove the bezel surrounding the radio screen and controls. The bezel is held in place by 8 clips and it is necessary to pry the bezel away from the dash. I used plastic pry bars
and started in the four corners of the bezel as indicated by the arrows in this picture

[image]

After you have pried away the bezel you will find that the radio screen is held in place by four 7mm screws. Remove the screws and then pull the screen away from the dash. There are two retaining clips that will offer a little resistance, but it will pull away.

[image]

You can now see the multiple radio components in the dash. The satellite antenna cable is located in the upper right corner. It is a yellow, square connector.
[image]

You can now route your magnetic mount antenna cable from the hood area and into the dash. Once you get the cable to the dash, you can attach the antenna cable to the FAKRA connector

[image]

Once connected, insert the cable/FAKRA adapter into the location previously occupied by the OEM antenna connection. I taped up the old antenna lead to keep it from rattling.

I elected to put the magnetic mount antenna on the hood of the truck, near the windshield. I tucked several feet of extra cable under the hood and behind the hood insulation. This way I can move the antenna forward on the hood if there is some blockage of signal from the cab over.

[image]

I bought both parts via the Internet for a total cost of $35.62
The entire process took 30 minutes and I believe that anyone can do this.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post. When I had a TC on my 2005 Chevy dually I had to put the sat antenna all the way out on the front of the hood to avoid it being blocked. With it near the windshield it mostly worked unless I was going north.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm having the same issue on my 2015 Ram. I found these instructions from Ram on how to relocate and wire in an alternate antenna. Turns out there is a connector behind the A-pillar trim that they recommend you connect to so you don't have to pull the dash trim and radio. They even list FCA part #'s for the antennas and wiring.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting. On our last GM truck that FAKRA connection was behind the glove box.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very helpful pics and instructions! Definitely gonna save some folks some time and research.

I've noticed those with fiberglass campers seem to have better luck with these SAT signals. The metal siding and/or framing used on a lot of campers definitely don't help with SAT reception.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice. Just a reminder that steel is needed for magnets to work; late model Fords will not work so well. Also, I understand the Ford factory shark fin antenna is dual duty for Sirius and GPS.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2010 Ram just needed a puck style antenna and the connection was conveniently located behind a kick panel in front of the passenger side door. I think the puck, wiring and connector were about $25 on Amazon. My 2018 Ram needed a shark fin antenna. The connector is behind the passenger pillar as shown in the instructions posted above.

Without relocating the antennas, I had about 60% coverage. With the relocated antennas I have near perfect coverage unless driving due North.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

Nice. Just a reminder that steel is needed for magnets to work; late model Fords will not work so well. Also, I understand the Ford factory shark fin antenna is dual duty for Sirius and GPS.

Right. The new Fords have 2 antenna (antenni?) . Still have not found a solution.

FWIW; our fiberglass Eagle Cap is no different than our Aluminum sided Adventurer was. They are both capable of locking signal...

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newer RAMS have an aluminum hood if I'm not mistaken.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

Can you use 3M 2 sided tape?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Adding XM antenna to avoid camper overhang
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.