cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you really need a battery?

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
If you only camp in full hookup sites, why do you need a house battery? If the power goes out in the park, we have battery powered lanterns. The only reason I can think of, is to run the frig and maybe the furnace, but the power usually isn't out long enough to affect the frig and we do no cold weather camping. Your tow vehicle provides the power while towing for the running lights. A couple of things that might pop up would be if you needed to roll in the awing or slide. Anything else? What am I not thinking about?
rich
34 REPLIES 34

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Common sense should dictate that you have a battery and break-away switch. Would you want your unit if it broke away head off into oncoming traffic and possibly kill someone, or to lockup the brakes and not travel far??
We just recently purchased a lower priced enclosed utility trailer to use for storage and it came with a small Dry Cell Battery to activate the brakes in the event of a disconnect.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
10 states might not but DOT does
Federal traffic safety law specifies that all trailers that are required to have brakes, shall have a means of activating the trailer brakes under trailer break away conditions

The Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution establishes that state laws are subordinate to federal laws and regulations.
Please cite where that is stated that applies to vehicles other than commercial vehicles.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
Rich&Mar wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
Just out of curiosity I tried to open my slide yesterday. My battery was disconnected, so I hooked up to power and tried the slide. Wouldn't open. Had to connect the battery just to open the slide.

In WA, Costco, Walmart, Batteries Plus. I don't think Les Schwab would be a good place to get a good price on a battery.
Boy are you right. $160. out the door at Schwab, $96. otd at costco.
To keep this thread going for days, I'll ask another question. In researching batteries I read you should let them discharge to 50% before charging. OK, but how do I know when it's down to 50%? What do you do regarding your battery and maintain it in good shape?
rich

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
Just out of curiosity I tried to open my slide yesterday. My battery was disconnected, so I hooked up to power and tried the slide. Wouldn't open. Had to connect the battery just to open the slide.

In WA, Costco, Walmart, Batteries Plus. I don't think Les Schwab would be a good place to get a good price on a battery.
Boy are you right. $160. out the door at Schwab, $96. otd at costco.
rich

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
10 states might not but DOT does
Federal traffic safety law specifies that all trailers that are required to have brakes, shall have a means of activating the trailer brakes under trailer break away conditions

The Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution establishes that state laws are subordinate to federal laws and regulations.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"It looks like 10 states do not require a breakaway switch. So if you never left those states you would be in compliance without one."

That's good to know. At least now we know it isn't a federal mandate/regulation.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Let me know what states don't require it? I travel multiple states as well so unless you stuck to the states that didn't require a breakaway switch it would be required. I will let you tell me where they are not required. I also don't plan to look up the laws of each state I will pass through to confirm I'm in compliance.

It looks like 10 states do not require a breakaway switch. So if you never left those states you would be in compliance without one.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may be required in many states, and trailer builders have no idea what state their trailer is going to. As far as I can tell, there's no federal law, and states have their own laws. Soooo...it depends.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
If the emergency breakaway system was not required it would not be installed on any trailer let alone 100% of them. Trailer would not not even include brakes if not required.
This is correct information and common sense.

Do you think ANY rv manufacturer would spend money installing something that wasn't required.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the emergency breakaway system was not required it would not be installed on any trailer let alone 100% of them. Trailer would not not even include brakes if not required.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
If towing you should read up on the FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS

Break Away and Emergency Braking

It has always been my belief that those regulations pertain to commercial carriers and not to private individuals towing their own private trailers, although many of the the things in those regulations can also be applied to private towing.

I guess what I am getting at is that I think those are possible suggestions, but not enforceable, for private use.
I would assume that there ARE regulations published for private towing, usually on the State level.
Barney

1st paragraph.....
EVERY motor vehicle towing .......
Link on motor vehicle defines what a motor vehicle is. "Motor vehicle means any vehicle.........

It also defines 'breakaway requirements'
Every trailer required to be equipped with brakes shall have brakes which apply automatically and immediately upon breakaway from the towing vehicle...........The brakes must remain in the applied position for at least 15 minutes.

SO the regulation applies...commercial and NON Commercial
Well, the section is for "Subchapter B. FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS", so again it could be solely commercial, and it isn't the actual government site either. After all the weigh stations post that all trucks must stop, but they are referring to commercial trucks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I would disconnect my batts if full timed at a campground.

My trailer is hooked up at a house and the batteries live in the nice cool garage.

Or...the nice warmer garage come winter.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thermoguy wrote:
Must be your wiring. My slide easily works with no battery. Draws about 10 amps from the converter or the vehicle.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
If towing you should read up on the FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS

Break Away and Emergency Braking

It has always been my belief that those regulations pertain to commercial carriers and not to private individuals towing their own private trailers, although many of the the things in those regulations can also be applied to private towing.

I guess what I am getting at is that I think those are possible suggestions, but not enforceable, for private use.
I would assume that there ARE regulations published for private towing, usually on the State level.
Barney

1st paragraph.....
EVERY motor vehicle towing .......
Link on motor vehicle defines what a motor vehicle is. "Motor vehicle means any vehicle.........

It also defines 'breakaway requirements'
Every trailer required to be equipped with brakes shall have brakes which apply automatically and immediately upon breakaway from the towing vehicle...........The brakes must remain in the applied position for at least 15 minutes.

SO the regulation applies...commercial and NON Commercial
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31