cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds around Shenandoah Valley in VA?

markc
Explorer
Explorer
In a little over a month we would like to go camping in the Shenandoah Valley area. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have a 38 ft fifth wheel. Thanks for your help.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"
19 REPLIES 19

markc
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
markc wrote:
Found a site at Luray KOA now. Will be traveling there Nov 4. Thatโ€™s the day after elections, I have some concerns about traveling the day after the elections. I donโ€™t know what will happen after the elections. What is your thoughts?

You'll be traveling away from irate lunatics and into the path of....irate lunatics.

Thanks!!
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

markc
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
markc wrote:
Found a site at Luray KOA now. Will be traveling there Nov 4. Thatโ€™s the day after elections, I have some concerns about traveling the day after the elections. I donโ€™t know what will happen after the elections. What is your thoughts?

You'll be traveling away from irate lunatics and into the path of....irate lunatics.

I was hoping you would see my post and reply.
I normally bypass Richmond on the west side and take 64 west toward Charlottesville..
Hope all the lunatics stay away.

Thanks to everyone who replied .
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
markc wrote:

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
markc wrote:

Probably half the nation will be happy, and half upset:D

We're going to travel at that time as well, can't wait to get away from the political BS.

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Bill/Diana wrote:
Pawz4me wrote:
If you want FHU/commercial type places then look at the Luray KOA. It's much nicer than the typical KOA.

Stayed here at least 4 times and never disappointed. The fees are a bit pricey, but nice clean CG with great view of the mountains and a short drive to Skyline Drive. You might have difficulty getting a reservation.

We were there about 10 yrs ago, before it became a KOA. sites in the 60's offered scenic views of NP Skyline. In the evening we sat in our recliners with adult drink in hand and enjoyed the views, especially picturesque with the heat lighting as a backdrop. :C

Would love to return

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Most any nice place is ok. I got lucky ? Found a site at Creekside CG near Buchanan VA. Thanks.

Now we decided to go to Luray KOA!
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps I'm a little late but lived in Shenandoah valley my entire life.

Are you looking for KOA type camping or off the beaten path campgrounds that accommodate larger RVs ?

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Got three to call tomorrow. First one with a site wins. Will let yโ€™all know. Thanks again!
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

w2dart
Explorer
Explorer
Misty Mountain, Beautiful, super clean, great owners. Been going there for years. You will love it.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
markc wrote:
Thanks to everyone, you guys have been a great help.

Did you make a decision??

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone, you guys have been a great help.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
KD4UPL wrote:
I stayed at Montebello about 12 years ago. From what I remember it was nice. That is a very remote area. Don't expect cell phone service. I hope you're driving in from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Coming in from any other way is a very challenging mountain road.

Thanks for the tip. The folks at the CG mentioned that to me at booking.

I'm not too worried about the cell service. Just heading down to relax for a few days.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Montebello about 12 years ago. From what I remember it was nice. That is a very remote area. Don't expect cell phone service. I hope you're driving in from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Coming in from any other way is a very challenging mountain road.