cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Minimum recommended ground clearance

PaficPine
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the tow vehicle and needed to buy a longer shank for the weight distribution hitch (longer drop, since the current TV is taller). Of course, I bought it a bit too long. What is the minimum recommended ground clearance under load? Fwiw, it used to be 10", now it is only 8.5". Will not travel off-road with the trailer, but am concerned about potholes.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can get 8.5" of suspension compression hitting a pothole, you need to seriously re-evaluate your driving style. Driving that hard, you are likely to arrive at the campsite dragging a travel trailer tongue A-frame and a few splinters of wood. The rest you'll find smashed to pieces along the route.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI read that it is a big "no-no".โ€œ

Bigger than big.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PaficPine
Explorer
Explorer
i did that and gained 2". But in order to save 2 more", I would have to cut through welding. I read that it is a big "no-no".

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Saw off the unused portion of the shank.