cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting entry steps / stairs.

JW2
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting entry steps / stairs. Might work well for a truck camper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0c9csBdQBA
15 REPLIES 15

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I used something similar to this Little Giant stair system with the handrail folded down. Was stable and lightweight, and stored easily inside the camper

Folding steps

I should add that the wide steps were not so scary for my dogs to walk on.

These are the steps I bought for my Bunduvry camper, my dogs have no problem climbing them.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Bedlam
Are you thinking about a lip on the leading edge of each step or more of an open grate design? I agree it would add to traction but it would also make barefoot and sandal use uncomfortable. If you have pets, I doubt they would like an open grate. Am I not understanding this?

It used to be the case that scissor steps would have to be stowed, but many people figured out a way to mount them so they did not have be removed. Torklift even sells an accessory for their stairs so they stow in place. I use the Revolution steps on my side entry, so they are always ready to deploy and my application required six steps to reach the camper entry. My setup is taller than most, so I am lucky there is a modular system that cam be put together based on the height required.

Adjustable feet make a big difference with stability on uneven ground. I am on my second set of stairs with adjustable pads on the bottom. Prior to this I used to shim the bottom bar on uneven ground to keep the stairs steady and from twisting under weight. Adjustable feet also allow for finer height adjustment if you need a half step height rather than full.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the treads could be improved using flat bar, on edge, rather then flat sheet metal. Good grip and wouldn't act like a tray for dirt to sit on.
As for storing them, if you've got detachable scissor steps, you're already putting them inside and need to pull them out, expand and install to get in the camper anyway. So would be a wash in terms of the PITA factor.
I think the extendable legs, to compensate for uneven ground, could be a tripping hazard if you have to have one leg way out.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Steps like the ones in the original post also dump dirt / water, etc in the door when you fold them up if you don't thoroughly clean them off before stowing.
A lot of TT owners hate that style step for the same reason.

Bedlam wrote:
I prefer a steps that stow in place and can be quickly accessed.

Ditto.

Here's the steps I run
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bedlam
The steps look solid but will take up storage space and may be too inconvenient to mount/dismount for quick stops. I prefer a steps that stow in place and can be quickly accessed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I used something similar to this Little Giant stair system with the handrail folded down. Was stable and lightweight, and stored easily inside the camper

Folding steps

I should add that the wide steps were not so scary for my dogs to walk on.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like them. They aren't cheap, but wouldn't call them expensive/over priced. But agree wnjj said re the pins. And they'd be well served coming up with adapters for existing camper step attachment points.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I am looking at the Little Giant series of steps. Thinking of removing parts and customizing the rest. A forum member did something similar, but I want to take it a "step" further.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like mounting hardware would interfere with most RV doors closing.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m not impressed with how clumsy the handrail goes on and off or all of those loose pieces of hardware just begging to become lost. They need more spring-loaded quick release captive type pins like Little Giant style ladders use. If not that, at least tether the pins with short pieces of cable.

Seems very unrefined to me.

Thedavidzoo, take a look at Little Jumbo ladders. Very sturdy and has been working great as our camper steps for years.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The treads need some more thought wrt rain, ice, and snow.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'll go back to what we had in the 1980's. Plywood box/steps covered in Astroturf, just wide enough to go through the back door and store inside.
You ever step out the camper on icy folding stairs with cowboy boots? Ain't purty.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Our typical 3 step folding steps hang kinda low and mess with our clearance off road. I have looked at all options and have not found what we are looking for.

The steps you mention have some neat features, but WAY too expensive.
So, we have decided we are going to try to modify a similar folding style step that will slide flat under our TC on rails. Pull out, fold out, done.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
At almost $700,I'll pass..I was seriously looking for a different step, then came with my Lance..There all outrageously over priced,even the Brophy steps,so I went another route...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04