Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Just bought Truck Camper- how do I move
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Just bought Truck Camper- how do I move

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

As always, YMMV

[image]
Must have been the 2" straps gave way.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Humm..Ratchet straps delivered these..Naw..Can't be..What are they thinking..LOL

[image]

How does that wrecked truck camper get home...Right..With ratchet straps..LOL

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP said on the 3rd post he was going to wait. Why are you guys insisting he use ratchet straps?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

OP said on the 3rd post he was going to wait. Why are you guys insisting he use ratchet straps?

I'm not insisting,just showing ratchet straps can be used safely to bring it home..Others say it's dangerous without realizing that's how there shipped mostly,with ratchet straps..

Kinda like Bigfoot is using silicone..Some things just work contrary to internet forums..lol

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Each one of us has different level of risk that we will accept.
In my equipment hauling years, we used chains and steel binders.
At first days I figure out that long chain going via hauled vehicle hitch and attached on both corners of trailer is pretty good safety.
DOT officers did not agree.
Each corner of heavy equipment loaded on flatbed needs separate chain and separate binder.
Now nylon strap as already pointed doesn't take much of rubbing to get cut.
Just becouse a number of hauling jobs got away with it, doesn't mean it has level of safety I would demand.
So who will volunteer to attach the camper with 1" nylon straps, like pictured above and drive via DOT inspection station?

roadtrip1919

Tallahassee

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the record, I will wait till get the proper equipment. The full story is I wrecked my truck on way to MN in late November in Kentucky. It took till last week to get fixed from mechanic. We bought a TC in Jax in July, thinking truck would be ready in a week per mechanic. I didn't want to spend $1k on tie downs not knowing if the truck would actually run. As soon as I got confirmation on truck actually fixed and drove home, I called Torklift and they said not in stock and they had to build them. The dealer I bought TC from has called me several times about picking up the unit and I always said I'm coming soon. Well, soon never came, not sure of truck status till end of last week. I called Torklift and their phones were out a day or so because of the fires which the person I spoke with said they were very close to the fires but still open and producing. He will be without power at his house for a week or more he said.
So now I have to wait to get the proper tie downs. Better safe than sorry.
PS- why doesn't the USA suspend putting a man on Mars and the Moon and concentrate on putting out forest fires with the money and effort. I feel for the people of the American West, would much rather have a hurricane than fire anyday.

Thanks for all the comments.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of reasons for the forest fires, and without getting into it, it’s not just the federal government who has a dial to turn. Some of the more recent ones were arson which is not a new phenomenon either.

In any case, I hope you are on the road soon, and I hope the fires go out soon, too.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you ask the seller if they could deliver it to you?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roadtrip1919 wrote:

I bought a 2005 Arctic Fox and need to transport from Jax to Tallahassee. Have 2008 F450 but tie downs haven't arrived yet. How do you transport temporarily if you don't have real tie downs like Torklift. Will straps instead of tie downs work if I take it very easy on interstate?

I am surprised none of the older posters that posted on another thread about a new Arctic Fox being transported over 3,000 miles cross country with nothing but ratchet straps holding it down..

[image]

New Arctic Fox on it's way home.

Guess they forgot..LOL

Made it there unscathed

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Guess they forgot..LOL

No, we noticed OPs post early in this thread that said he was waiting for proper mounts..

Btw, when you are you selling your tie downs and tiedown mounts and converting to straps? [emoticon] Afterall, those tie downs are a waste of money, right?

We are waiting for your pictures.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Just bought Truck Camper- how do I move
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.