cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar charger

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
i want to park my rv, 30' tt and keep the battery charged ( 1 12V BAT ) for now. what is the best way to do this. no a/c power available. thanks
7 REPLIES 7

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If Iโ€™m reading this right you will have it basically in storage. I have my original house battery disconnected from the coach. All I use it for is the tongue jack. I use a $15 solar charger from Academy and it keeps it nicely topped off. If youโ€™re just looking for a maintainer to supply the phantom loads on your trailer, a little plastic 50 watt or so plastic panel will probably work. The beauty of these is theyโ€™re cheap, no mounting required, no fancy controllers and will keep your battery charged.
Im holding on for the youโ€™re an idiot posts!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
Disconnect the battery (good for several months) or 100W solar panel and controller.

100 watts would do just fine. If disconnecting be sure to fully charge battery before disconnect.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
100W if solar.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I`ve got a 200W system in mind. basically just for if the power goes out in a campground (like it did for 5-6 hours on Labor Day weekend).

So if you are wanting to go solar, go with at least 200W, even 300 isnt that much more. but you will want more than one battery if you are going to boondock. otherwise for non use one battery is sufficient.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Solar... determine how many Amps you typically use in a day... 100W Solar will generate peak of about 5.2A... so... rough estimate, if you burn through, say 25A/day, you might consider up to 500W solar.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disconnect the battery (good for several months) or 100W solar panel and controller.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.amazon.com/TP-solar-Monocrystalline-Controller-Connector-Z-Brackets/dp/B07S2B2QGV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2FXY1Y64EO4H8&dchild=1&keywords=100+watt+12v+solar+panel+kit&qid=1600394473&sprefix=12v+100+solar+kit%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-3