cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide topper tension adjustment

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic slide topper. I did not get any info with it when purchased. There seems to be so much tension on it that it makes the top of the slide out hard to move. The slide struggles until I help it at the top to get the topper awning to start unrolling.
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the tension on the topper.
Thanks for any help.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
3 REPLIES 3

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
TWO springs? Like one from each end? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Now you're going to tell me that one is LH wound and the other is RH wound.

My topper came off at 70 mph a few weeks ago. On one end the 1/4" support rod is just a stub, barely enough to go inside the end cap. I was able to install some bushings into the end caps, to eliminate the oblong holes (more like grooves), but if I'm missing the spring on one end I might have to go topless . . . .

Best,
- bob

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
To adjust the spring tension(there are 2 springs), you take the end cap Arm off the mount rod and let the end unroll for how many revolutions you need. Do this with awning extended. BUT, there should never be a reason to do this. The awnings are pre-wound from Dometic with the correct tension. Is this an older RV? Was this always a problem? Sometimes the springs get rusted and will bind, but that will cause a problem when retracting, not only when extending. Doug

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If itโ€™s only hard to get moving at first it probably isnโ€™t the topper causing it. As it unrolls it will pull even harder as it winds up the spring.

Are you sure the slide isnโ€™t mis-aligned and dragging on the opening or seals? Or did you add the topper recently?

Setting tension on awnings can be done when the loose end of the fabric isnโ€™t connected. Then you can just unwrap a round and reconnect.