cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox Says no off road????

ADA6969
Explorer
Explorer
So I just got rid of my 02 990 A/F dry bath. Ordered a 2021 1150 dry bath. Called Arctic Fox to ask if the new camper will hold up to off road as well as the old A/F. We are talking 2wd roads small rocks, graded etc. His quote. I don't recommend you off road with any of our campers. Any input?
Thanks, Andy
2012 RAM 3500DRW MAX TOW 4WD AUTO STD CAB ST DIESEL STABLE LOADS AIR BAGS AND RS9000XLS, ROADMASTER 1 3/8" REAR SWAY BAR 2021 AF 1150 DRY BATH TOWING 2017 JEEP RUBICON JKU BUILT. OR 2020 JEEP RUBICON JL BUILT
29 REPLIES 29

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Then why is one of the top 5 "advantages" of a TC, is that it can "off-road?"

Not for me. I made a thread, btw. 😉

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
ppine wrote:
Offroad is a total fantasy with an RV most of the time.

Then why is one of the top 5 "advantages" of a TC, is that it can "off-road?"

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
I think the term off-road has a different meaning to a lot of people.

To me a dirt road is not off-roading.

Getting into tight twisty campsites doesn't bother me nearly as much as a really bad washboard road and they seem to be really bad this year.

I suppose if it is marked on a map, it is a road. 🙂

- Mark0.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I think the term off-road has a different meaning to a lot of people.

To me a dirt road is not off-roading.

Getting into tight twisty campsites doesn't bother me nearly as much as a really bad washboard road and they seem to be really bad this year.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
ADA6969 wrote:
So I just got rid of my 02 990 A/F dry bath. Ordered a 2021 1150 dry bath. Called Arctic Fox to ask if the new camper will hold up to off road as well as the old A/F. We are talking 2wd roads small rocks, graded etc. His quote. I don't recommend you off road with any of our campers. Any input?
Thanks, Andy

You can off road with a BundutecUSA built truck camper. They will built you one that can handle off road situations. Mellow Mike just recently bought one and so did I.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supercharged111 wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
It’s been my experience that the bigger/taller/heavier the camper is, the driver will say “I give up” off road sooner than the camper will.

:):)

This guy. I'm a wimp. But I'm sure even at my level onlookers are shaking their heads with the places I go.

When the road cut is narrow and deep with tight turns, the dually rear wheel will ride up over the embankment causing the truck/camper to tip precariously.
There are limits. . .
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I banged up my new truck bed once driving with a camper on I-80 in the Sierras. I had the unit mounted by a local RV shop with tie downs on the frame. I was so pissed off I took them to court and won a couple of hundred dollars.

I have never done any damage on back roads. Some of the state highways in Nevada are dirt. Offroad is a total fantasy with an RV most of the time.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
It’s been my experience that the bigger/taller/heavier the camper is, the driver will say “I give up” off road sooner than the camper will.

This guy. I'm a wimp. But I'm sure even at my level onlookers are shaking their heads with the places I go.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
ADA6969 wrote:
Its not a matter of doing the Rubicon trail with a 6k camper on a DRW TOWING A 7500 LB trailer. REALEY!!

YES, really.

You would not believe what some people do. It is not out of the realm of possibility that someone would try to take a truck with an 1150 off road on trails equivalent to the Rubicon, expect it to hold together, then show up at the manufacturer's door with a wrecked camper, expecting a free repair.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd never assume newer is better built then older. And if they are selling a product, of course they are going to say the latest is the greatest.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

ADA6969
Explorer
Explorer
I was very clear to him I wanted to know about the quality of a 2002 990 compared to a 2021 1150. I told him I have put over 3k miles off road not paved. Can I inspect that a newer one is built better then the old. Its not a matter of doing the Rubicon trail with a 6k camper on a DRW TOWING A 7500 LB trailer. REALEY!!
brholt.. 1150 OFF ROAD REPORT. Right on that's what I am talking about YOU ROCK
That mite be a little more then I would do.
2012 RAM 3500DRW MAX TOW 4WD AUTO STD CAB ST DIESEL STABLE LOADS AIR BAGS AND RS9000XLS, ROADMASTER 1 3/8" REAR SWAY BAR 2021 AF 1150 DRY BATH TOWING 2017 JEEP RUBICON JKU BUILT. OR 2020 JEEP RUBICON JL BUILT

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
NRALIFR wrote:

Bingo.
But some folks’ idear of off road is less than others.
I took it almost too far, to get across a side channel of the Copper River to get out and camp& fish on a gravel bar.
The camper had zero issues but the truck was at its limits and apparently my butt was too as evidenced by the brown stain on the drivers seat!
I really did not want to drive it back after getting out there....
Was determined to get some copper river salmon and that looked like the best place to get close to a channel they were running in.

The ole Arctic Fox was none the worse for the wear.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course, the extra length of a 1150 is a detriment offroad, but I assume everyone knows that.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the big problems with 1150 size campers when off-roading is the rear jacks tend to scrape the ground on uneven terrain.
Crossing stream beds or gullies are typical problem areas.
Additionally, some truck beds flex more than others which transmits stress to the camper frame.
Washboard roads are bad for any camper.
Caution and common sense are the needed.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats