cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 vs 2021 Model

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier this spring I found a 2021 model that I very much wanted. I sent a request to the dealer and he quoted me $39,991 for it. However before I committed to it he sold the unit.
After searching high and low I have found an identical unit however it is a 2020 model and they are asking $40,995 for it. They want $1,004 more for a unit that is a year older.
I have checked the spec sheet on both units and I can't find anything different.
The first dealer had a MSRP of $63,776 while the 2nd dealer has a MSRP of $61,365
What would you do?
Thanks
PS I thought I posted this in 5th wheels so it's ok to move it.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.
10 REPLIES 10

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
bob213 wrote:
cekkk wrote:
I would knock 35% off MSRP and make that offer. Then be prepared to increase but I would not go beyond 31 or 32% off MSRP. Sounds like you are dealing for a fifth wheel.

Dealer #2 is already at 33.2% off but it's a year older.
I would want a 2021 model if it were me.

I'm not sure that I would want a pandemic period manufactured model suspecting that quality is even less than the questionable build quality of RV's built at any other time.

FWIW, I just bought a brand new 2019 model boat and saved a lot. There is no way that I could have afforded the current year model which BTW is identical.

I hear that dealers are getting new trailers with missing items, that the manufacture can not source, but ship them out anyway.
RV manufacturers have always done that. There not going to hold up production for a missing item. Neighbor was a supervisor at a RV plant. If a unit didn't have cabnets they might install them in the parking lot or put them in the trailer for the dealer to install. Nothing new. They had a quota to get done in a week no exceptions.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
bob213 wrote:
cekkk wrote:
I would knock 35% off MSRP and make that offer. Then be prepared to increase but I would not go beyond 31 or 32% off MSRP. Sounds like you are dealing for a fifth wheel.

I'm not sure that I would want a pandemic period manufactured model suspecting that quality is even less than the questionable build quality of RV's built at any other time.

FWIW, I just bought a brand new 2019 model boat and saved a lot. There is no way that I could have afforded the current year model which BTW is identical.

I hear that dealers are getting new trailers with missing items, that the manufacture can not source, but ship them out anyway.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
cekkk wrote:

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
A few questions; are you set on this model? Do you plan on selling in the next few years? Are you comfortable with that price?

If you want that floorplan and there are no others available then you have to accept that what's available is what's available.

If you plan on selling in a few years then one year's depreciation may make a difference. If you are going to keep it, then it makes no difference.

The tactic of 30-35% off MSRP was good advice - until this year. COVID has messed up production, supply chains, and the mode of how people travel shifting the balance of RV demand vs supply and has created a seller's market. If a dealer has what you want and it's the only one available then pressing for 35% means the next buyer may snatch it for 25% off MSRP and and you lost the camper you wanted over a few grand. If you find what you want, get a deal you are both happy with and don't sweat 30 vs 35% off MSRP. It's a made up number anyway. Dealers are letting folks walk away from the table because they can. They have low inventory and lots of buyers.

If you can wait and you have to have the latest year, contact a dealer and order one. You may have to wait a while to get it though. And you still may not get the competitive price you would have gotten last year.

If you can wait even longer, then a lot of COVID campers may sell their units once the virus has calmed down - hopefully spring and there may be a surplus of used units on sale. You still may not find the one you want. But makes the depreciation market moot as all campers are going to plummet in value when people start to return to normal modes of travel - if they do.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Last night before making my post I had a couple of margaritas so I left out that this is for a Forest River Wildwood Forest Glenn 338BAR Fifth-Wheel.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Already a year old. Once you buy it it depreciated more than the 2021 model.

Sellers market now though.
I would find another dealer. It is a 2021 so they will be making more of them. Might get a better price when cold weather hits and the election is over.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Different dealers may expect different margins.

Did you try a lower offer to see if they would bite?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
cekkk wrote:

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
What are you looking for...tow vehicle, new 5th...?
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC