cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stored diesel question

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I have several gallons of diesel fuel that has been stored in a couple of 5 gallon fuel cans for 7 months. The cans have been stored in my garage, and the fuel visually looks and smells good.

Is there any reason it would be unwise to use this in my Dodge CTD?
14 REPLIES 14

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I started a Massey Ferguson 1150 on diesel fuel that was thirty years old. Smoked like a sumnagun but cleared up within ten minutes
You got me beat, the truck only sat for 6 years.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Learjet wrote:
Good topic for me...now that I have a daily driver Electric Nissan Leaf...which is a blast to drive...another topic... the truck is not used as much...every couple of weeks on average...

How long do you guys feel is safe to keep a full tank of diesel in a garage kept truck?

Not so much about fuel, but over the years I have had issues with old cars only driven a few times a year. From the time I bought my last pickup I have made it a point; Anyplace I go on Tuesday I drive the pickup. 115,000 trouble free miles over 15 years makes me think it has been good plan.
If it was diesel I would keep tank near full. Because it is gas I don't. I assume if a quarter tank won't get me there I will have time to stop for gas. When it gets down to quarter, I put in 5 gallons. If going out of town I have room for at least half tank of fresh gas.

I have no idea if this is true, but I've always been told to keep more than a quarter tank in order to keep in-tank fuel pumps submerged. Apparently it is a cooling factor for the pump. Anyone else ever hear this?

Personally I try to continually keep the tank topped off assuming there could be an emergency making it difficult to get gas at your local station.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learjet wrote:
Good topic for me...now that I have a daily driver Electric Nissan Leaf...which is a blast to drive...another topic... the truck is not used as much...every couple of weeks on average...

How long do you guys feel is safe to keep a full tank of diesel in a garage kept truck?

Not so much about fuel, but over the years I have had issues with old cars only driven a few times a year. From the time I bought my last pickup I have made it a point; Anyplace I go on Tuesday I drive the pickup. 115,000 trouble free miles over 15 years makes me think it has been good plan.
If it was diesel I would keep tank near full. Because it is gas I don't. I assume if a quarter tank won't get me there I will have time to stop for gas. When it gets down to quarter, I put in 5 gallons. If going out of town I have room for at least half tank of fresh gas.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I learned something today that diesel can be kept for a pretty long time. I assumed it was similar to gas and that it would not last a long time. I have mine stored in air tight jerry cans so was not too worried and use it up within a few months of purchase but this is good info to know.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I started a Massey Ferguson 1150 on diesel fuel that was thirty years old. Smoked like a sumnagun but cleared up within ten minutes

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I routinely use diesel that is over 3 years old.
My neighbor used diesel fuel that was over 10 years old. Make sure it is filtered and dry.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Learjet wrote:

How long do you guys feel is safe to keep a full tank of diesel in a garage keep truck?

Longer than the DEF.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel doesn't go bad for years. I have fuel in my generator that is well over 3 years old.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Gentlemen. I appreciate the good advice.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
that is not old for diesel fuel use it up.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I had one Diesel truck that sat for 6 years and fired right up on the old Diesel. It was treated before storing with a anti- algae treatment.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's fine. Use it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let er rip!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD