cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New and confused

eherber
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! New here, so instantly I apologize if this info is somewhere else, and I do not know where. I did some searching, but I'm also at work so I can't steal all the time.

My Wife and I just entered into the travel trailer world. We're pretty much complete newbies. We did our research and found a TT with a bunk house was the best bet with our family, us and 3 kiddos 5 and under. We purchased the new (cringe) Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 267BHSW. We got the Baja package and the rocky mountain edition. We live in AZ, plan to do a lot of dry camping, but also try to traverse the country and show our kids what it has to offer. On top of visiting family in MN and VA. Our intent, or so we thought, was to buy a used 2016-2019 Suburban. Separate our kids in the vehicle, and bring the 4 legged friend inside for comfort too. In talking with some co-workers who have done a lot of camping, they have since advised us to not go with the suburban, as it is more or less the half ton now, they do not make the 3/4 ton anymore (since 2013.) With the trailer being at max 7300lbs, towing up the mountains of AZ, they don't think the 1500 is all that "safe" of an option. Fine, so now our options are a 3/4 truck for the most part as we want something used but with lower miles. Now sacrificing our space (all 3 kids in child's seats, two in rear facing)

The gist. Are they correct? Even with the different engine packages of the newer subs, their point is the transmission and suspension aren't really "up to par" for towing the 30' raised trailer fully loaded. Granted the tow rating of the sub is 8100-8300 - other factors should be considered.

Thanks for your time, and any input. Again, I apologize If this info is out there. I need to get more concrete answers to my wife, she hears me, gets me, but then circles back to the Sub... she wants the space. I... do not want to sacrifice safety.
43 REPLIES 43

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry I'm late to this party, congrats on the new truck!

FYI for all those who said the Suburban wouldn't do the job, just not true. The new High Country Burb with 6.2L and 10-speed automatic has almost the same ratings as my 2001 2500 with 8.1L. Heck the 6.2 puts out 420 HP and 460 TQ compared to the old 8.1 at 340/455. The 10 speed trans lets it run with a 3.23 rear axle. Max trailering is rated at 7900, so with the family loaded in would likely be overloaded in this application. The Ram is a better choice here, but the old "half ton" concept is dead.

GM discontinued the 2500 series burb for 2 reasons: 1. Crew cab pickups have gotten larger with a roomy second row, so unless you really need that 3rd row they fit the bill for towing/hauling heavy, and 2. The drivetrain capabilities of the regular burb have closed the gap with the 2500 to the point where you don't need a big block to tow anymore.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We'll See wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
My recommendation would be to go with a pre 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel or a post 2016 F350 6.7 Diesel both with crew cabs, 4X4, long bed with bed caps. They will give you abundant inside space with comfortable ride and lots of storage in bed as tremendous towing and cargo numbers. A dually would be tops.

OP bought a trailer that will likely be 6,500 to 7,000 loaded and here comes the diesel dually comment.

To the OP, I recommend you get a late model Ford Expedition with the 3.5 eco boost and make sure it has the max trailer package. That engine will tow your load better than other gas 3/4 ton vehicle especially in the mountains. You do not need a 3/4 ton just make sure your expedition is properly equipped. And your family will be much more comfortable in three rows versus any crew cab pickup, especially as they grow older.

the OP posted 10 hours before your post, that they bought a Ram 2500. it's in the post right before yours.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
My recommendation would be to go with a pre 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel or a post 2016 F350 6.7 Diesel both with crew cabs, 4X4, long bed with bed caps. They will give you abundant inside space with comfortable ride and lots of storage in bed as tremendous towing and cargo numbers. A dually would be tops.

OP bought a trailer that will likely be 6,500 to 7,000 loaded and here comes the diesel dually comment.

To the OP, I recommend you get a late model Ford Expedition with the 3.5 eco boost and make sure it has the max trailer package. That engine will tow your load better than other gas 3/4 ton vehicle especially in the mountains. You do not need a 3/4 ton just make sure your expedition is properly equipped. And your family will be much more comfortable in three rows versus any crew cab pickup, especially as they grow older.
Jeep and Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
eherber wrote:
Well, we bought a 2019 Dodge Ram Tradesman, HD 2500 4x4 off road package. It's a beast. It'll more than tow my TT thankfully. I said I would never buy a Dodge, and I did. I'm not ashamed. My wife is awful fond of it too, and I want her to be comfortable in it. If we do the across country trips, I need her to feel comfortable.

Thanks again for all the advice. I did a lot of researching and inquiry based on suggestions you all gave me. It's much appreciated.

Nice work. You've effectively future proofed your truck needs for a while!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
32vld wrote:
all wheel drive is not good as 4WD.

Seemingly astute response, other than maybe you could elaborate how 4wd is actually "better" in this context of a pavement pounder, kid carrier camper puller vehicle.

eherber
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we bought a 2019 Dodge Ram Tradesman, HD 2500 4x4 off road package. It's a beast. It'll more than tow my TT thankfully. I said I would never buy a Dodge, and I did. I'm not ashamed. My wife is awful fond of it too, and I want her to be comfortable in it. If we do the across country trips, I need her to feel comfortable.

Thanks again for all the advice. I did a lot of researching and inquiry based on suggestions you all gave me. It's much appreciated.

gmwelder86
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t hesitate to buy an older 3/4 ton suburban. I have an 08 150k bought used in 2015 with 80k on it. Towed 8k with it and never felt like I didnโ€™t have enough truck. All itโ€™s asked of me has been basic maintenance, outside of the ac compressor going out last month. Mechanically the 6.0 and 6l80 are bullet proof. With quad Captains chairs and a third row couldnโ€™t imagine a better tow vehicle for your family outside of a diesel excursion.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Groover wrote:
Probably the new Ford Transit. When it was designed to replace the Econoline series the emphasis was shifted to interior comfort, convenience, fuel economy and weight carrying at the expense of the bulky and heavy frame needed for trailer pulling. For 2020 the passenger version of the van carried a maximum tow rating of 4,500lbs where the old E350 was rated for 9,900lbs.

Probably more about the use changing. With 4 door pickups becoming common and families smaller, those that used to pick a full size van for a tow vehicle have become relatively rare (30yr ago full size vans were one of the more popular choices for RVs).

That leaves the main use of vans as cargo vehicles that don't do much towing. With front wheel drive, you can lower the floor. They also push for efficiency, so the heavy duty frame that is critical for towing heavy, could be eliminated.

Drivetrain for a 6500lb van with a 3000lb load...only has to move 9500 lb.

A 6500lb van with 1000lb load pulling an 9000lb trailer has to move 16,500 lb and that takes a much more robust drive train.

I know the Dodge is FWD and even with RWD, Ford and Mercedes (I think Mercedes has a variety of drivetrains) have pretty meager tow ratings for the OP's 7500lb trailer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, OP, donโ€™t be gullible about the Dodge paranoia that your mechanics brothers friend said.
Yes a van will work. It will also be underpowered compared to any โ€œbigโ€ half ton. Canโ€™t get any better for space though.
But a crew cab/mega cab and throw the dog in back will work too.

Another customer that would buy a HD suv....if anyone made them.

32vld
Explorer
Explorer
all wheel drive is not good as 4WD.

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Probably the new Ford Transit. When it was designed to replace the Econoline series the emphasis was shifted to interior comfort, convenience, fuel economy and weight carrying at the expense of the bulky and heavy frame needed for trailer pulling. For 2020 the passenger version of the van carried a maximum tow rating of 4,500lbs where the old E350 was rated for 9,900lbs.

It actually appears that the Transit is only offered in RWD (and new for the 2020MY) and AWD. I didnโ€™t take any more time to check but it would be interesting if you can get the advertised 7500# towing and AWD. If so, sounds like that could be a contender for the OP.

Maybe the 3/4 ton vans are the Transit Connect, the City Express and similar vans that have 1500# (3/4 ton) of payload?
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geo*Boy wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:

The van we are recommending is a proven van that has been used for years in commercial applications, including towing duties and were never front wheel drive.

Even some of the 3/4ton vans are front wheel drive.

Just pointing out that 3/4 ton by itself doesn't mean it's a good option.

Can you let us know what the manufacturer/model 3/4 ton van you are referring to, so the OP stays away from them?

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I would vote for the van you still get some room behind the seats, it is comfortable for all and generally the back seat can be folded down for haul bigger stuff at home. I have always had yukons and crew cab pu trucks plus diesels ones. I never hauled kids except when we had a pop up. Trucks do not have that much room in the cab. get the van
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:

The van we are recommending is a proven van that has been used for years in commercial applications, including towing duties and were never front wheel drive.

Even some of the 3/4ton vans are front wheel drive.

Just pointing out that 3/4 ton by itself doesn't mean it's a good option.

Can you let us know what the manufacturer/model 3/4 ton van you are referring to, so the OP stays away from them?