Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to tow travel trailer with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 dogs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow travel trailer with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 dogs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A full size van, E-350 or 3500 series, to tow your TT.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jas1317 wrote:

A van to tow with? I never thought about that! Or just a van to go camping in? I don’t think that would have the space we’re looking for - were planning to travel for several months. Hm...

My Dad camped in van for years, and towed TTs for much longer. Most vans have the wheels set near the corners which makes a better TV than a pickup with the same drivetrain.
Mount a small bed (kid or 2 nap) in the back with room for luggage under, but low enough the soft seat back stop the kid in disaster. Then a bench seat back to it, leaving floor space for cooler and play between seats.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I definitely agree with a van as your tow vehicle. Two adults, three kids, and two "medium sized" dogs, I don't think your passengers would ever be happy on a long trip. Some of the E350/3500 vans are rated to tow up to 10,000 lbs depending on the model. And room for the kids to stretch out and nap on long trips. Never towed with one, but used to use Chevy 3500 15 passenger van for 6 adults and 3 kids and all our luggage on yearly 750 mile each way family trip to Colorado and back. Worked great.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I towed travel trailers with vans. I also burned up the transmission on 2 of the vans.

I strongly suggest a crew cab pickup with fiberglass camper top over the bed for the dogs.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A trailer that HUGE will be a weight issue waiting to happen. Even an E350 van only tows a measly 10k pounds....and the hitch weight will easily exceed its limits.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used an excursion but they are getting hard to find.

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed a 33’ travel trailer with a 12 passenger Ford E350 with the V10 gas engine. Family of 7, plus two dogs. Should be enough payload capacity with a 1-ton van unless the trailer is excessively heavy. And plenty of room for everyone. In the Ford I’d avoid the 15 passenger because of the rear overhang. In the GM 3500 vans I don’t think that’s an issue as the wheelbase is longer...I could be wrong.

They don’t make the E350 anymore so look at the used market.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friends dad had a dually crew cab. But they removed the rear window, and installed this extension back there. We would drive to the river and the dogs would be in that cubby spot. I would guess it went back a good 3 feet. Still left plenty of room in the bed he was a general contractor and hauled material constantly. Can slide long things under the cubby spot.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Expeditions with heavy duty towing package tow ratings are up to 9,000 lbs or more. And you can find ultra lite TTs in the 30’ range with GVWR of 8,000 lbs and under.

* This post was last edited 10/10/20 01:44pm by BB_TX *   View edit history

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jas1317 wrote:

2 adults, 3 kids (ages 3-9), and 2 medium sized dogs.
How do we do this? Can we make a pickup truck work? Super interested in any experienced feedback!

I don't think the dogs would like riding on the floor for hours on end. You would probably have to stop and let them out every 2-4 hours.

Jas1317 wrote:

I know a large SUV is an option but will not tow the size travel trailer we’re really interested in.

Define "large SUV" and just what size trailer are you looking at.

An Expedition MAX has room for the 3 kids in the second row and plenty of room for the dogs in the back (everything would have to go in the trailer). Properly equipped, it can tow a combined weight of over 15,000 lbs, 9,000 lbs trailer, but I would try to keep the LOADED trailer weight under 8,000 lbs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow travel trailer with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 dogs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.