cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW TOW VEHICLE ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV listed below has served us well. With 140K and a list of repairs we are cutting our loss and researching a slightly used TV. We would like 5K tow capacity. May get a non hybrid trailer soon. We are considering Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango and Nissan Path Finder. Any thoughts on these rigs or others? Our price range is a firm 25K max. Wiling to go two years old and will buy extended warranty. Throw us a bone
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
14 REPLIES 14

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I echo those who are suggesting that you revisit your expectations here. A box trailer that sleeps six is not going to come light. Add in the weight of that family of 6 in the vehicle, and I would suggest that 5k will be well below your actual need. At the very least, I would suggest that you move up to the full-size Suburban or Expedition to try to accomplish what you have in mind.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
There are many types of trailers: flat bed, horse, boat, dump, cargo, travel trailer, etc. By far the most difficult to tow is a hard sided travel trailer. They have a huge frontal area, they are not very aerodynamic, they have a very high percentage of tongue weight and there is very limited ability to move weight around to adjust the tongue weight.
The same tow vehicle that might do very well pulling a 5,000 pound boat might really be a struggling handful with a 4,000 pound RV. The point is, just because it has a 5,000 pound tow rating doesn't mean it's a good vehicle to tow a 5,000 pound RV with. Personally, I wouldn't pick any of those vehicles. I would be looking at something like a Chevy Tahoe or the Ford or Toyota equivalents.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Check the fine print on towing for those vehicles. Some of them have frontal area restrictions. A hybrid or full sized TT at 4000pounds dry and 4500-4800 pounds loaded with a family's gear will not likely be pleasant for a vehicle with only 5000 pound tow rating. Full sized vans are very good values, especially used, compared to the SUVs you listed.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3rd times the charm Bob?

FWIW, you've asked for the same input at least twice before in recent months.
The answers won't change.

The mid size suv's you're asking about don't seem practical to me for 4 kids for regular use (big or small kids). Ever access miniature 3rd row seats daily?
But they have slightly better tow ratings than a minivan, although save for a 3.5 Ecoboost Explorer or a Hemi Durango, the towing performance will be ANEMIC.
And under $25k for 2 years old and still under factory bumper to bumper warranty (can't have high miles and get an extended warranty) is not a reality for the models that tow well and they're still small.

Thoughts on "these rigs or others"?
Re-read your last 2 threads on this.

Personally if I had to haul 6 and wanted a DD and tow rig for $25k, I would do one of 3 things.
1. Buy an old GMT400 Suburban 3/4 ton big block low miles for about $8k and spend $17k on a low mile mini van.
2. Spend $25k on the best newer suburban or Expedition I could find.
3. Buy a big van that does both.

Your wants/needs aren't commensurate with a minivan or a mini SUV. Period.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Explorer Sport as my daily driver. I have around 50,000 miles on it. Other than normal maintenance stuff, I have had no problems with it and it's really fun to drive. I've only towed a utility trailer with it though.

BUT, it will be tight with 4 kids. The third row is small. I don't use it, as I have dogs instead of kids, so it stays folded down for a large cargo area. Be sure you look at a Sport or Platinum for the 3.5 Eco-Boost. The XLT and Limited only have the non EB 3.5 and I believe their towing capacity is lower. Also when I was shopping, I found pre-2016 models did not all have the towing package, it was an extra option. Also you will need to watch your payload very carefully, especially with 4 kids. You may not be able to tow a trailer and have the whole family in there at once. My payload is something around 1250lbs I believe.

I had a Pathfinder as a rental before. It was lower end of course, and it was total garbage. I have no input on the Durango other than I think they have a nice appearance.

ETA: One note on the 3.5 EB engine, it really does do better with Premium gas. So that's something to consider. Also I'm not sure you can find a 2 year old used Sport or Platinum (to get the EB engine) for 25k or under, unless it has super high miles. But there isn't much difference between a 2016 like mine, and a 2019. So don't lock yourself into the 2 year old thing.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Raife wrote:
Getting my Equal-i-zer hitch dialed in was key as the dealer screwed it up...

The dealer adjusts the hitch based on the empty trailer you are driving off the lot. Then you get the trailer home and pack it up and everything changes, so the hitch needs to be re-adjusted. Why the dealers don't tell folks that upfront is a mystery.

Understood, but you think they could take a stab at getting it closer...off the lot is the only time it is truly empty. Even when we put it in storage between trips it is not "empty," just not quite completely loaded.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
With 4 kids who are presumably getting larger each year, you might consider looking at full size vans. They only get bigger with the years.

Once you get used to driving a full size truck, it's really not much different and if you are comparing to V8 SUVs you likely won't lose much on MPG.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Episode 487 in the "Just enough truck" series of how to tow an RV.
Why not just buy a 1/2 ton pick up?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raife wrote:

The dealer adjusts the hitch based on the empty trailer you are driving off the lot. Then you get the trailer home and pack it up and everything changes, so the hitch needs to be re-adjusted. Why the dealers don't tell folks that upfront is a mystery.

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Dodge Durango Citadel V8 with tow package and love it. It has been my daily driver for last 5 years and now tows our Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE (I have run through the CATs scales fully loaded and all my numbers are good: GVWR, GCWR, axles, payload, tongue, and trailer - it is 5,400 fully loaded). Don't expect great gas mileage with the V8...

I had a 2004 Ford Explorer V8 prior and liked that as well. Although my Durango drives better and is more comfortable.

I can't say it has been problem free however...I had to replace the AC last year (but we live in central Texas and the AC gets a workout 7 months of the year) and I am working through getting the hub bearing replaced (I'm at 75K miles so a bit early). And I had some early issues with the sensors in the fuel fill pipe (it was all covered under warranty).

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Will this be a daily driver too? If yes, I wouldn't recommend the Durango for that. I'd consider it if it'll be a dedicated TV, but only the V8. The V6 can do it, but not well. It seems like it can never find a good gear when it's loaded heavy.

The Pathfinder is NOT a good TV for 5,000 pounds. It's low on torque, and has a CVT. CVT's are prone to early failure when low-speed torque is needed, because of the heat generated by the belt. And when the belt breaks, you have to just replace the transmission. The plates that makes up the "push" design" of the belt scatter all over, and trash everything else in there.

The Explorer is nice, and great for towing with the EcoBoost. My sister has a 2016. Bought with 15k and has 75k now. It's been back to the dealer a few times, but only for improper repairs from a rollover accident that didn't show on it's history. No issues other than those (broken roof-rack trim-clips, leaky windshield, butt-connectors on the rear-seatbelt-airbag system.

The one common issue to watch out is cooked PTU fluid. Changing it should be part of your new-vehicle inspection, and then change it regularly after towing. It gets too hot because of it's proximity to the exhaust, and you can't run synthetic because that would reduce the ability for the clutches to hold.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from a car guy, the Explorer would be my first choice. Of course, it's a double-edged sword. Since the Durango and Pathfinder are far less desirable and less in demand than the Explorer, they naturally depreciate faster, and can provide a better 'deal' for the pre-owned buyer.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion and experience, I would opt for a 4 door "crew cab" truck over the SUV's you mention. For example, the V6 versions of Ford have plenty of power for the lite unit you have, are much lower in price than V8 or ecoboost, and 6 seat arrangements can be found. Ford, Chevy, Dodge -- all would be fine. That is, unless a 3rd row seat in an SUV is a must.

Again, that is my opinion. If I had to pick from your 3 choices, I'd go the Durango. Why? Explorer has had issues. Nissan as a company is having issues. Lastly, in my opinion, i'd forgo the extended warranty -- just profit for the dealer.

But don't take my input except for this: go to NHSTA website (national highway and safety transportation admin) and look up each of your picks -- look at not just recalls, but customer complaints. No recall on a model but dozens and dozens of complaints about a transmission? I'd want to know. Go to Edmunds and look up family reviews (not pro reviews) of each model. Come to a conclusion based on NHSTA, Edmunds or other actual buyer reviews, and in-person drive/look.

I wish you good luck.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention this will be our daily driver as well.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)