cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many Canadian Snowbirds are there?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
They wife and I were talking about the Canadian snowbirds situation today and how it will affect AZ, RGV and FL. Is there any accurate information about the number of Canadians that come south for the winter? I know from our personal experience that many of the campgrounds/RV resorts that we have wintered in had a significant number of Canadians. If they all are caught north of the boarder, there are going to be a lot of vacancies. Please keep the political comments to yourselves!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
29 REPLIES 29

Tinbangertom
Explorer
Explorer
Some people are flying down and having there vehicles shipped, some people live from campground to campground, most of our campgrounds are now closed for the season!
:h Tom
:Z Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
We do the same and rent a cottage on a small oceanfront tract. Moving to a "better" cottage location is seniority-based. This year we are one of the two oceanfronts for 3 weeks of our 6 week stay then we move to second back so some Canadians can have their regular spot in the oceanfront....

....that's an interesting equity system! Our complex is appx. 23 acres and fronts the ocean, with 15 buildings, each building has appx. 18 condos, no building higher than 3 floors. Lots of space between buildings, lots of tennis courts, 2 large pools, 1 heated to 82F year-round. Only 4 buildings directly on oceanfront. However, from our unit, it is only 390 meters bearing 88deg right to the high-tide mark. No public road crossings needed; just a walk over the dunes on a boardwalk. Sadly, looks like we will not be there for year 8 this winter ๐Ÿ˜ž

We have a beautiful campground literally right across the A1A from the condo, and another campground ~ 1 mile south (and 5 State parks within 10 to 30 minutes drive; 2 on the ocean, 3 on intercoastal). We have 3 very secure storage facilities all about ~15 minutes drive, where we can store the truck camper rig, and switch out with the SUV when we want to do some exploring. That was the plan.....
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately Gemsworld, as I said moved goal posts after the fact exponentially on Non-Resident owners. Alas not being American, we don't have the luxury of bucking the system by changing our homestead to Florida as many of our friends have done that still own properties in places like Ohio spending considerable time there and only part time in Florida. Hence they are able to benefit that way. As foreigners we can't do that. I'm just frustrated at how we were encouraged with open arms plus facts and figures based in 2008 then having goal posts moved exponentially once things improved for the country. I have no issue with general inflation but crazy high movements I do.

Seriously is it really necessary to be charging a non-resident owner all of a sudden 4 times (we didn't have a pool so lower value somewhat) what a homesteader pays? That increase to us became pure greed. Also withholding 10% off the top on a sale, with zero consideration of "if" (we didn't fortunately) that person had a mortgage paying interest on it and couldn't claim back the tax until the following year and not immediately upon a sale. Like I said there were numerous reasons, and I speak to a lot of Canadians that own property in the "sunbelt states" that have either already or are considering selling them, based on the wake up call with this virus, not being able to use and what it's costing them on many counts today compared to a few years ago.

We truly do love the USA and our dear dear friends we have there, but just like our own governments at not only federal but provincial and municipality levels that we have stupidity issues with, I'm sure you have issues with yours. Canadians compared to our minuscule population by comparison, have certainly been contributing a ton of tourism money and taxes as Jax demonstrated over the years into the USA. I sure wish we could take our RV down there and be contributing this year a little to individual businesses, but alas it is what it is.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Community Alumni
Not applicable
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

According to the Canadian Trade Commissioner's office Canadians pay north of $500,000,000 a year just in property taxes in the State of Florida alone.

As for non property owning snowbirds, it goes on to say "Canadian tourists spent an estimated $6.5 billion in 2016 alone. Canadian tourism has generated an estimated $686.5 million in related tax revenue..."

And therein lies the reason why we sold our place in Florida in 2017. Taxes escalated exponentially but not for others. Neighbour with Homesteading and a pool paying $3600 and we were well north of $12000 a year with no pool, similar valuation. In 2008 USA were crying out for our Canadian dollars and within 5 years after that everything went exponentially up specially on "us". Flood insurance as non-residents, house insurance as non-residents and so on and so forth. Basically the goal posts moved exponentially on many counts after the credit crunch recovery to the detriment of non-resident owners when it suited. To each their own but we personally will never own property again in the USA because of how badly we were treated after the fact on moving goal posts, not just cost of living wise either!

PS: Note to Alberta plated car stored in garage = maybe in danger of being reported especially in today's environment. If ascertained kept down there longer than 3 months (mandate in most states!) could be in for huge taxes as should have been imported and changed out to local plates. Just saying BarbOK, and don't know state by state rules but ........ you might want to let them know as a favour that over a certain time a vehicle remains in a country has to be exempted or imported = usually the latter.

I can't speak specifically about Florida's property taxes since I have never owned property in that state. However, I don't believe any state in the US makes foreign real estate owners pay a higher property tax simply because they are foreigners. Some states and/or local tax authorities do have slightly higher tax rates for properties used as a second home or income property. What is correct it can be difficult and/or very expensive to get insurance on homes that aren't occupied full time, regardless of the owner's nationality.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know actual number of migratory Canadians, but in a recent TV news story on the topic, a spokesman for the state of Florida was quoted as saying winter visitors from Canada generate $3.4 BILLION for Florida's economy annually.

That, is not chicken feed!

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
BarbaraOK, just had an Alberta plated vehicle come into an RV park here in Yuma where a friend of ours stays. They store the car here in the summer and just flew down. A little earlier than usual but the reason being the greedy airlines are quickly raising their flight prices. I think we will see more of this as the "season" gets here.

Now that would make sense. I haven't seen them outside, so couldn't ask.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
staying home, although i go to mexico

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
d
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Is there any accurate information about the number of Canadians that come south for the winter?

According to Statistics Canada between 300k and 375k Canadians spend more than 'vacation' time in the south. The spread also seems to be because some estimates are 'south' (Mexico, Caribbean, etc.) and some are 'in the US'.

According to the Canadian Trade Commissioner's office Canadians pay north of $500,000,000 a year just in property taxes in the State of Florida alone.

As for non property owning snowbirds, it goes on to say "Canadian tourists spent an estimated $6.5 billion in 2016 alone. Canadian tourism has generated an estimated $686.5 million in related tax revenue..."

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarbaraOK wrote:
moisheh wrote:
Cannot enter by land. No problem by air.

And yet there is a car with Alberta plates that just arrive on Monday on our street.

Both governments quietly announced that entry by land would be allowed on 'compassionate grounds' for immediate family members. So if Canadians have children or parents residing in the US they are permitted in.

Also, dual citizens and 'mixed couples' (one US, one Canadian) are also allowed to cross.

All of the above is of course still subject to quarantine.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The Alberta car might be stored in the usa. Or the owner may have dual citizenship.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarbaraOK, just had an Alberta plated vehicle come into an RV park here in Yuma where a friend of ours stays. They store the car here in the summer and just flew down. A little earlier than usual but the reason being the greedy airlines are quickly raising their flight prices. I think we will see more of this as the "season" gets here.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
silversand wrote:
....I just checked the covid stats for the County in Florida where we snowbird. Almost the same population as our Quebec County (Canton), just over 200,000. Total cumulative deaths in Florida County: 77. Our Quebec County: 44. Present 14 day test positive cases in our Florida County: 430-ish; and in our Quebec County: 342-ish.

Plenty of beds and ICU capacity and low wait times at our Florida regional hospital. At our Quebec hospital: 23 to 46 hour wait times this week. And 5 to 7 hour wait times for covid test, with 5 to 6 days for results. At our Florida locale, 6 testing centers, no wait times with appointment, and 2 day return results.

You guys are getting hard there. Hope it improves soon. Chin up. In BC still in good shape for cases, tests, wait times etc. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....I just checked the covid stats for the County in Florida where we snowbird. Almost the same population as our Quebec County (Canton), just over 200,000. Total cumulative deaths in Florida County: 77. Our Quebec County: 44. Present 14 day test positive cases in our Florida County: 430-ish; and in our Quebec County: 342-ish.

Plenty of beds and ICU capacity and low wait times at our Florida regional hospital. At our Quebec hospital: 23 to 46 hour wait times this week. And 5 to 7 hour wait times for covid test, with 5 to 6 days for results. At our Florida locale, 6 testing centers, no wait times with appointment, and 2 day return results.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou