cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator and A/C question

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
30 amp coach, 2 Coleman 13.5 A/Cs, Intellitec controls(with shedding) and an Onan 5500 generator.
While exercising the generator,the front A/C would constantlay switch between shed and on. Eventually it will end up running for a period of time,then goes back to switching back and forth, then running again. When I turn on the rear A/C, it begins running almost immediately, shedding intermittingly,but running as I would expect. The front A/C continues to shed and run.
I can hear the generator rpm's varying and it appears that when the rpm's increase the A/Cs both run.
Not sure where to begin, assuming there is a problem. Looking for other's input.
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
FIRST thing is a AMP check of BOTH AC units. Your AC units will not pull over 30 amps together, even including the micro second start up of the compressor. That leaves 18 amps of power left for other appliances. So, you need to make sure your Water Heater(10.5 amps) is off. Since you have a CONVERTER, it will not pull more than 3 to 5 amps. The culprit is probably your old AC compressors. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
He may have a 30 amp coach but that's a 50 amp generator
His problem is with one of 3 things
The intelletec controller is not sensing the generator properly (Since I don't know how it senses generator power I can't say more about that)

THe Auto Transfer switch is the wrong one or wired improperly

A Switch is set improperly

When running on Generator one of the A/C's is supposed to be powered by the 20 amp breaker on the Genny. Directly, Via the Auto T ransfer switch IT does not

It may be other loads (like water heater) causing the sheding as well I do not know.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
5500VA is around 47+ amps at 115 vac
Motors including A/C compressors have around a 0.96 Power Factor
You have enough generator for two A/C units
The problem is the Intellitec load shedding power management, the current transformer sensor, is on the power input hot line to the Main Breaker for your panel, the Intellitec system is set for 30 amps for the shore cord input to prevent overload,
On my MH , a 1997 Bounder there is an extra circuit breaker in the service panel, to put one A/C on the second winding from the 5500 Onan, and avoid having both units on the "measured" hot wire of winding number 1 that's feeds the main breaker

Some RVs (example 1992 Komfort 31ft) come with an extra 120v switch , for switching one of the a/C's between shore and generator, in my case here in the Bounder, that's the extra circuit breaker wiring
Do you have either of these in your RV, check to see if it's in the correct position for generator use
If not
There is an extra load turned on
Front a)c has problems
Your two batteries are drawing more charge than you think, to check turn off or unplug converter,
Or charge batteries 30 minutes before turning on the a/c units
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CAMike
Explorer
Explorer
Need to research the running A/C amps with fan on High and the peak turn on amps. Starting 2 units will far exceed 30 Peak Start up Amps.
2004 2500 LS Crew Cab Shortbed (LLY-Duramax with OilGuard ByPass Filtration (2 Micron) and Nicktane Cat(2 Micron)for Fuel, 2007 HitchhikerIILS 32.5LKSBG. SuperGlide 16K, Twin Honda EU2000i's

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the water heater also heating on electric? Is the converter charging some low batteries?
Otherwise you need to get into the load shed system and see what the priorities are, what is pulling power, and how much power and voltage is moving through the circuits. May need a clamp-on ammeter to measure what is going on.

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.
Nothing else running. The "shed"ability lets both A/Cs run but not start at the same time. This is a gas coach,only 2 batteries, no inverted,just converter.
My main question is why does the front A/C have so much trouble starting and continue running when it is the only thing running on the generator? What do i need to be checking?
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you've just started the generator for exercising and the MH has not been plugged in, then the battery charger is probably kicking on at the same time. If you have four house batteries, the charger is probably drawing a larger load than you expect.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thirty amps is right on the edge for 2 13.5 units.

What else is running?

You might solve it with a hybrid inverter charger. I'd prefer Victron or Outback
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.