Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When cold weather arrives, more and more people are going into smaller and smaller spaces. Shorter days, means shorter time to go errands which results in more people in a given space, so increase in likelihood of increased infections. And there are so many people who will not stay home when they feel ill - they are just running a couple of errands and infecting people as they go. Look at how many will have a mask on BELOW their nose.

The infection rate doesn't have to go up, but that requires everyone to do their part, stay home if feeling ill, wear a mask whenever going out into public, wash hands frequently, disinfect, etc.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are full-time and spent the summer in one place, then transitioned to the south for the winter where we will sit in one place. Traveling in between was no contact check in at most stops. We've gotten gas, groceries and have taken the dog to a vet. We wear masks when inside any business and appreciate everyone else who wears it properly.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...we have curtailed our snowbirding this "winter" season. The criteria for curtailment are these:

-the "human response and behavior" aspect make the virus spread fairly unpredictable; this can be widely (spatially) variable, and will render our "stops" on our way south more (or, less) dangerous in very short time-spans (a week or 2 can make a huge difference).

-science on the hardiness of sars-cov-2 virus in winter is starting to emerge (cold and humid or dry air viability), and we are taking the precautionary principle: because of our "age", absence of any vaccine(s), and rapidly rising strained public health facilities, as infection rates eclipse even the worst numbers back in May, across all of the G20 nations.

....we are following "the situation" closely, and do a re-analysis once a week.

One observation I've made is: why haven't retail, restaurant, and most health-care facilities implemented bipolar ionization technology? It has been implemented successfully at nine major US airport facilities (including one in Canada: Vancouver), and at 6 major US hospitals....

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

One observation I've made is: why haven't retail, restaurant, and most health-care facilities implemented bipolar ionization technology? It has been implemented successfully at nine major US airport facilities (including one in Canada: Vancouver), and at 6 major US hospitals....

Really, and who exactly pays for all of that? Most restaurants I know of are close to being out of business if they are not already out of business because of shoot from the hip govt edicts handed down with no thought as to the final outcome.

Being retired and having the option to hide yourself away, not travel, and limit your interaction with others is slightly different than working for a living where its impossible to do the tasks remotely from home, such as manufacturing or construction.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS wrote:

Really, and who exactly pays for all of that? Most restaurants I know of are close to being out of business....

....BPI filtration systems retrofit onto existing HVAC (most if not all public indoor spaces have existing HVAC air movement systems in 2020), and cost as little as $900 for a small facility, and $3000 for very large facilities (but at the scale of airports and hospitals, the cost is higher). CBAnalysis: Far and away less than the subsidies already deployed to businesses.

empty_nest

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are outta here in 9 days!

I have waited years to get to a point where we can do this and will not be denied. We will take all necessary precautions and have a piece of property to ourselves, so it shouldn't be much different than here at home.

2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Topic is:
Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid

I know it is hard, but for those of us interested in this topic could you please stop trying to make the Mod close it?

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're on our way.
Sunny and 70's at Lake Shasta yesterday.
Mask wearing is more evident now than six months ago.
The RV office here in Vacaville will talk to you only by phone - they are VERY careful. (for good reason)
Onward to Monterrey California today and more adventures.
(masks in public, gloves at gas stations, hand sanitizer bottles in every pocket)

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Staying home. Can't even go to New Zealand this winter like the last time we didn't go to USA. My snowblower is tuned up and my shovel sharpened.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

Staying home. Can't even go to New Zealand this winter like the last time we didn't go to USA. My snowblower is tuned up and my shovel sharpened.

I hear ya. I bought the wife new electric socks and a new snow shovel so we are set.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.